Search

Check out the new WN wiki; excellent

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2017, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Check out the new WN wiki; excellent

Been looking it over this morning. My congratulations to the person(s) who did all that hard work to update. Truly a miraculous resource.

Answers virtually any WN question you could dream up and just about anyone will learn some valuable things by studying it. I know I did.

http://www.flyertalk.com/wiki/index...._Rapid_Rewards
Old Sep 14, 2017, 8:47 am

Substantive resource, briefly marred by debatable analysis.

WN cannot afford the costs that a Hawai'i operation would bring under their current cost model, unless they flew something like 40 flights per day there, which is not realistic.
Gate agents at legacy carriers seem to spend most of their time dealing with seat assignments, first-class upgrades, and standby requests.
Southwest is much more likely than other airlines to shift the cancellation to a lightly loaded flight, because on Southwest all the planes are interchangeable.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 8:53 am

Programs: LTP, PP
At first glance it seems amazing although some subjective analysis for sure. Thanks to the creator!

I just added this in bold.

Business Select boarding passes have a drink coupon printed on them. These drink coupons are valid only on the original date of travel.
One book of multi-colored drink coupons is mailed out for each 10 paid one-way trips you take, provided that you are over 21 and that this preference is specified in your member profile. As of September 2010, these coupons are personalized with your name and partial Rapid Rewards number. Presumably this is an anti-counterfeiting measure.
Expiration dates are now enforced. Coupons with no printed expiration date have now expired.

However after a period of very rigid enforcement and a recently settled (2017) class action lawsuit, FT members report many Flight Attendants appear to accept expired coupons and/or don't bother to look at the dates. It may be worth it to save and present expired coupons first while holding back unexpired coupons.

Last edited by joshua362; Sep 14, 2017 at 9:20 am Reason: typo
Old Sep 14, 2017, 12:14 pm

Great work, who can I thank?

A small nit, the Wiki says that when Southwest acquired Airtran Airtran had 31 gates at ATL but does not mention that Southwest later reduced the number of gates significantly. I'm not sure of the current number. I might also mention that Southwest cut service to a number of Airtran Cities.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 12:41 pm

Agreed! Great update, but could use less editorializing and more focus on factual information.

I've just edited the EarlyBird Check-In and Upgraded Boarding fee prices to reflect current info.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 12:47 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I wrote most of it but I encourage anyone who wants to improve anything to just edit it. Deleting my editorial comments is OK too. That's how Wikis are supposed to work.
joshua362, ursine1 and steved5480 like this.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 2:23 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by nsx
Deleting my editorial comments is OK too. That's how Wikis are supposed to work.
Thanks! If it came from you, I'm sure the editorial content is accurate!
Old Sep 14, 2017, 3:03 pm

Q: I'm not seeing the changes I made earlier. Are changes moderated?
Old Sep 14, 2017, 3:10 pm

The main check-in lines (for passengers with baggage) move faster because there is no need to choose a seat.

Southwest's lines move at least twice as fast as any other airline's.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 7:50 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by ursine1
Q: I'm not seeing the changes I made earlier. Are changes moderated?
There's no moderation. If you saved your changes they should have stayed unless someone reverted the change (which functionality should be used only rarely).

Try a small test edit somewhere.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 11:35 pm

Ok, just made the changes again and re-saved. The first couple of times it generated an error message that I must have overlooked earlier. Eventually, it stuck.
Attached Images  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.