Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

About flying with Southwest, "saved seats" and sitting in them anyway?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

About flying with Southwest, "saved seats" and sitting in them anyway?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2017, 6:43 pm

(Not something I would ever do... but)

If I stand in the aisle seat and stop you from getting to the middle or window by not moving, all while smiling, apologizing and stating that "these seats are saved," which forces you to engage in a physical altercation with me in order to get past, which causes you to be removed from the flight, then I'd say I successfully saved those seats.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 6:57 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by ursine1
(Not something I would ever do... but)

If I stand in the aisle seat and stop you from getting to the middle or window by not moving, all while smiling, apologizing and stating that "these seats are saved," which forces you to engage in a physical altercation with me in order to get past, which causes you to be removed from the flight, then I'd say I successfully saved those seats.
Either have the FA remove you as disrupting the boarding process,

Or thwart your attempt by climbing over the seat just to wipe that smile off your face.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:04 pm

Good luck. You know as well as I that the FA is absolutely not going to get involved unless there is a physical altercation. And as I am the one simply standing there, apologizing, you are the one who will have to engage with me. You will be the one removed.

Scenario:

Due to a glitch caused by the new booking system, two of my group of three -- spouse and minor child -- lose their EBCI and as a result are given boarding positions well after mine. When discussing with the GA, I am told to board in my position and save seats for them. Because Southwest allows seat saving. I stand in the aisle seat and stop you from getting to the middle or window by not moving, all while smiling, apologizing and stating that "these seats are saved, the agent told me it was ok."

Are you still going to get those seats?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:07 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by SpaceCoastBill
Either have the FA remove you as disrupting the boarding process,

Or thwart your attempt by climbing over the seat just to wipe that smile off your face.
Terence Mann: I wish I had your passion, Ray... Misdirected though it might be, it is still a passion. I used to feel that way about things, but...
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by joshua362
Terence Mann: I wish I had your passion, Ray... Misdirected though it might be, it is still a passion. I used to feel that way about things, but...
LOL.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
And again you come up with abstract garbage. As has been pointed out to you that is not a realistic situation and you are taking things to a ridiculous extreme to try to justify your flawed point.

BEFORE the door is closed, if someone says these seats are saved, and you sit there anyway, there is no recourse for the attempted seat saver. People are not moving forward row by row anxiously awaiting someone to urinate and jumping in their seat. That is just a stupid and disingenuous assertion.

Its a problem simply brought on by inconsiderate and scheming people trying to gain a benefit where none exists. If the entire party was boarding at the same time, then they sit in the open seats that do not have a person sitting in them.

As many have stated when the person says "I claim this seat, and that seat as saved and thou shall not sit there" and someone does just that then the allegation of saved seat becomes void.
you can't make things absolute and then have exceptions that are assumed.

and you only think it's abstract garbage because you don't know what I was referencing. Those that do will find it funny. 😉

that aside, I see this happen all the time: someone preboards and sits bulkhead aisle. In a gap in boarding they use the restroom. At that point, using your logic someone could take that seat as they board and too bad, so sad for the other person. Not far fetched and not ridiculous.

so seat saving is allowed and can be done. It doesn't have to be mean-spirited and if people behave like adults it generally works itself out.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 8:47 pm

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Good luck. You know as well as I that the FA is absolutely not going to get involved unless there is a physical altercation. And as I am the one simply standing there, apologizing, you are the one who will have to engage with me. You will be the one removed.

Scenario:

Due to a glitch caused by the new booking system, two of my group of three -- spouse and minor child -- lose their EBCI and as a result are given boarding positions well after mine. When discussing with the GA, I am told to board in my position and save seats for them. Because Southwest allows seat saving. I stand in the aisle seat and stop you from getting to the middle or window by not moving, all while smiling, apologizing and stating that "these seats are saved, the agent told me it was ok."

Are you still going to get those seats?

Yup, I would take the overseat route.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by justhere
I see this happen all the time: someone preboards and sits bulkhead aisle. In a gap in boarding they use the restroom. At that point, using your logic someone could take that seat as they board and too bad, so sad for the other person. Not far fetched and not ridiculous.
No seat saver vacates their position before the collaborator arrives.

Your mythical pre-boarder isn't hoarding anything. Any relevance is imaginative.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 9:40 pm

Yup, I would take the overseat route.
You're going to climb over a seat. Meaning that your going to occupy and then leave an open seat, climbing over the headrest, just to get to a different seat.

Because that's perfectly normal behavior.

Then you've made it clear that this argument is really only about your entitlement.

That you feel entitled to take any seat you want, at significant risk to your travel that day -- even when that seat is saved per policy, at the direction of representatives of the airline, for legitimate reasons.

We're done here.

Last edited by ursine1; Jun 27, 2017 at 9:49 pm
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:04 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
My point is valid. You cannot save a seat if someone wants to sit in it.
True, if that someone is willing to escalate the dispute up to the point where the crew calls the captain and the captain calls the police.

Very few seat savers will be willing to match that escalation. If they do, the result will be ejection for both parties accompanied by hearty applause from the other passengers.

As I've said before, the more assertive person wins unless one or both are ejected. In effect, that's the policy. As InkUnderNails is wont to say, the purpose of a system is what it does.

If you are maximally assertive and you want to sit in a saved seat, there is no such thing as a saved seat. If you are maximally assertive and you want to save a seat, there is always such a thing as a saved seat. If you are a normal and reasonable person not making a special effort to cause trouble, there is such a thing as saving non-prime seats and sitting in saved prime seats. I have done both.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:15 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by LegalTender
No seat saver vacates their position before the collaborator arrives.

Your mythical pre-boarder isn't hoarding anything. Any relevance is imaginative.
speak for yourself. I'm only describing something I've done a number of times while traveling solo. So no imagination needed. I just ask the closest person to save my seat. And being two mature adults no one gets upset, climbs over seats, or otherwise chooses to be difficult about it.
So while you may think you've got it figured out, you don't.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by nsx

If you are maximally assertive and you want to sit in a saved seat, there is no such thing as a saved seat. If you are maximally assertive and you want to save a seat, there is always such a thing as a saved seat. If you are a normal and reasonable person not making a special effort to cause trouble, there is such a thing as saving non-prime seats and sitting in saved prime seats. I have done both.
This.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:28 pm

You're going to climb over a seat. Meaning that your going to occupy and then leave an open seat, climbing over the headrest, just to get to a different seat.

Then you've made it clear that this argument is really only about your entitlement.

That you feel entitled to take any seat you want, at significant risk to your travel that day -- even when that seat is saved per policy, at the direction of representatives of the airline, for legitimate reasons.

We're done here.

No, you made it ridiculous with some fictional assertion that you are going to block the aisle. So I responded with the same type of scenario that you made up.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:31 pm

We're done here.
They have saved seat cards, absent that, the seats may also wind up unsaved, per policy.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
True, if that someone is willing to escalate the dispute up to the point where the crew calls the captain and the captain calls the police.

Very few seat savers will be willing to match that escalation. If they do, the result will be ejection for both parties accompanied by hearty applause from the other passengers.

As I've said before, the more assertive person wins unless one or both are ejected. In effect, that's the policy. As InkUnderNails is wont to say, the purpose of a system is what it does.

I dont think that the problems arise from row 21 vs row 22.

The problems arise when people try to commandeer bulkhead and exit row seats.

Reading about people trying to save several of the front rows... that takes some chutzpah.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.