Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest red eye flights

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2017, 7:06 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Not too long ago it was possible to piece together late arrivals at MDW with early morning departures on the same ticket with the provision of fewer than four hours between flights. The old 'puter was able enough to do that... or maybe it was an unintended glitch.
Old May 10, 2017, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
What ancient system was WN using before that prevented Redeye flights? I heard it had to do with something where the system wouldn't support flights that departed and arrived on different dates?

I wonder who designed that system...
It was designed when data storage was at a premium. In the late 80s, a disc drive the size of a small washing machine had a capacity of 400mb. Storing the extra bytes when you didn't imagine you'd ever need an overnight flight would have been considered a waste. We were always running cleanup jobs to remove temp or unneeded files to free up space.
Old May 11, 2017, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by Tanic
Not too long ago it was possible to piece together late arrivals at MDW with early morning departures on the same ticket with the provision of fewer than four hours between flights. The old 'puter was able enough to do that... or maybe it was an unintended glitch.
Interesting -- on the same ticket? Last summer I tried to do specifically that...i think it was a 0135 arrival and a 0525 departure....and it wouldn't come up unless two separate tickets were purchase.
Old May 11, 2017, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by 737MAX8
The old system did not permit landings after 3am Herb time I believe...the "clock" went to something like 2700.

Hawaii will have nothing to do with redeye flying for WN in my opinion.
Sure they can. Hawaii can fly redeye back to West Coast. They will connectivity the flight.
Old May 12, 2017, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by 737MAX8
The old system did not permit landings after 3am Herb time I believe...the "clock" went to something like 2700.

Hawaii will have nothing to do with redeye flying for WN in my opinion.
Why not? According to our "intelligence" here, WN could fly redeyes right now if they wanted due to the new res system. But they are not.

Hawaii will virtually REQUIRE redeyes on the schedule, if WN wants to have connectivity to the rest of their system. The flights will have to be redeyes out of Hawaii and/or redeye connecting flights out of the West Coast.
Old May 12, 2017, 10:15 am

Because redeyes can happen now.

Because Hawaii is years away, if ever.
Old May 12, 2017, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by TSparky
It was designed when data storage was at a premium. In the late 80s, a disc drive the size of a small washing machine had a capacity of 400mb. Storing the extra bytes when you didn't imagine you'd ever need an overnight flight would have been considered a waste. We were always running cleanup jobs to remove temp or unneeded files to free up space.
Are you sure about that? In the late 80's I had an IBM PC with a 10 MB hard disk drive in it. 40 of those drives, about an inch thick, would take up far less space than a washing machine.
Old May 15, 2017, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by ursine1

Yes, redeyes can happen now, but so far WN has NOT scheduled any of them.

In addition to the Hawaii point, I would say that WN has done very well for itself without scheduling redeyes. In fact, not having redeyes has let them "catch up" during IRROPS. Several times over the years, my flight has gone mechanical and the agent says "we are waiting for the next overnighting aircraft to arrive so it can be used for your flight". If alot of redeyes were scheduled, WN would have less flexibility to substitute aircraft.
Old May 15, 2017, 1:16 pm

The new reservation system went fully live literally a week ago. I expect redeyes will trickle in over time as new schedules are released. Aircraft positioning doesn't care when it happens, it's just factored into the bigger equation. Hawaii is a moot point, as it's not going to happen anytime soon.
Old May 15, 2017, 3:58 pm

I don't expect to see any until at leaset after the first of the year. The next schedule extension is supposed to be released this week. I imagine they won't make any sudden changed until everyone if comfortable with the new software. They will also have to rework personnel scheduling to make sure those flights are covered.
Old May 15, 2017, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Marriott LT
Originally Posted by formeraa
Yes, redeyes can happen now, but so far WN has NOT scheduled any of them.

In addition to the Hawaii point, I would say that WN has done very well for itself without scheduling redeyes. In fact, not having redeyes has let them "catch up" during IRROPS. Several times over the years, my flight has gone mechanical and the agent says "we are waiting for the next overnighting aircraft to arrive so it can be used for your flight". If alot of redeyes were scheduled, WN would have less flexibility to substitute aircraft.
I'm not sure the IRROPS thing is that big a deal. AA, DL, UA use <5% of domestic narrowbody fleet for redeyes. Majority of the the planes are parked at night.
Old May 16, 2017, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
Are you sure about that? In the late 80's I had an IBM PC with a 10 MB hard disk drive in it. 40 of those drives, about an inch thick, would take up far less space than a washing machine.
Forget about the past. We are not talking about old IBM PC. Forget about it. Move along.

Yes, Hawaii is coming. You will see PHX-HNL, LAX-HNL, OAK-HNL, LAS-HNL, SAN-HNL, and SMF-HNL, as well.

Right, redeyes is coming. They will fly out from West Coast to BWI, FLL, MCO, TPA, MDW, and ATL, as well.
Old May 18, 2017, 1:38 pm

Might wanna rethink that, given GK's comments yesterday.
Old May 18, 2017, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by smmrfld
Might wanna rethink that, given GK's comments yesterday.
Reading is fundamental.

"We're deciding what our plans are for 2018 and Hawaii is important to us,'' Kelly said in a meeting with reporters after the shareholder event in downtown Phoenix.

Asked if Hawaii flights could begin as early as 2018, Kelly didn't rule it out but didn't sound promising.

"I doubt it,'' he said. "We have not decided exactly what we want to do for 2018 yet.''

He said Southwest must take several steps to prepare for the launch of Hawaii service, including Federal Aviation Administration certification for flights over the Pacific, flight crew training and technology support.

"We still have a lot of work to do and we don't have a committed work plan yet on Hawaii ... but it's pretty high on the priority list,'' Kelly said.
Years away. If ever.

I'll stick by my comment, thank you.
Old May 18, 2017, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
Yes, I was a computer operator/mgr in the 80's.

Here is a page on the HP3000. The 2nd image has the 7933 404mb hard drives in the background.

http://www.hpmuseum.net/display_item.php?hw=106

Here is the 7933 close up:

http://www.hpmuseum.net/display_item.php?hw=273

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.