Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Could I have been Scammed: Free Ticket Phone Call

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2017, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Good morning,

Although I live near BDL now, I still have my South Florida phone number and as has been documented here, I've been a loyal WN flyer since 2005. Interestingly, I received a phone call from a 561 number (Palm Beach, FL) and a woman with a very thick accent (perhaps Indian) began telling me about how she was calling on behalf of Southwest Airlines. According to the phone call, they are opening a new reservations center in Deerfield Beach, FL and need people to volunteer to attend the grand opening. Those who volunteered would receive a free round trip ticket on board Southwest Airlines. At that point I hung up, thinking it was a scam. I have looked online and see no details from Southwest or local media about any new reservations centers in South Florida or elsewhere.

So I am wondering if this story I was told is true, whether they would solicit people to attend the grand opening, and if they typically reward those with round trip flights?
Old Mar 30, 2017, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Gotta be a scam.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 9:19 am

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Looks like this has been going on for awhile:

http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-818-490-0017
Old Mar 30, 2017, 9:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
At least they're using a real airline now. I've gotten scammy calls/mailings in the past about free trips on American Airways, United Airways, etc.

One theory is that they do that kind of stuff intentionally, because they actually want semi-intelligent people to identify it as a scam before wasting the scammer's time. But it's still mildly amusing...
DoB840 likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:22 am
Community Director Emerita

I've seen a lot of articles recently about scam phone calls that are solely meant to elicit you saying yes. They record it and then use it as proof at a later point of you having agreed to buy a product or a service.

http://clark.com/scams-rip-offs/can-...rning-hang-up/
Old Mar 30, 2017, 12:33 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I've seen a lot of articles recently about scam phone calls that are solely meant to elicit you saying yes. They record it and then use it as proof at a later point of you having agreed to buy a product or a service.

I've been getting plenty of those recently as they leave voicemails. It's especially prevalent in Florida.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 12:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
I've been getting plenty of those recently as they leave voicemails. It's especially prevalent in Florida.
My theory behind that is they are targeting elderly retirees.
JMorgana likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K

I've never bought into this "saying yes" theory. After all if someone calls and says "can you hear me OK" you would probably answer "yes".
Old Mar 30, 2017, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by AlastairGordon
I've never bought into this "saying yes" theory. After all if someone calls and says "can you hear me OK" you would probably answer "yes".
I have had a scammer tell me they had a recording of me saying yes to their offer and I know it was complete BS. I don't know if they actually had a recording. Legally I think it would be very difficult to validate such a recording.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 3:35 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Saying yes to anything and actually getting getting payment are hardly anything to worry about. Reminds me where scammers would call individuals at large corporations pretending soliciting toner "reorders". Good luck getting that processed through A/P departments...
lowfareair likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 3:52 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Originally Posted by AlastairGordon
I'd probably tell them f--- off. But then again I'd probably not answer the phone if I didn't recognize the number
Old Mar 30, 2017, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by Critterlynn
I'd probably tell them f--- off. But then again I'd probably not answer the phone if I didn't recognize the number
THIS! The single easiest way to avoid being scammed. I ONLY answer my phone if the number is saved in my phonebook. 100% of the calls to my phone go to voicemail, if not in contacts.

Plus, just because you got a call from a number in your home area code, does NOT mean the call originated there. It's incredibly easy to disguise a number on caller ID.
aquamarinesteph likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 7:55 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Unfortunately, those of us who use the phone for business do not have this luxery.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

not intended as a bump...I just got the call AGAIN! Nearly 5 months later! Wow!
Old Aug 18, 2017, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by jco613
not intended as a bump...I just got the call AGAIN! Nearly 5 months later! Wow!
The numbers dialed are completely random. I'm surprised you went 5 months between phone calls. I've seen the same number come up on a daily basis.

Not much of a big deal really. Just hang up...if you answer at all!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.