Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1 Stop No Plane Change Question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2017, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Household of Delta GM & PM, SWA RR CP, Bonvoy Platinum, Hertz #1 Gold, Budget RZ
1 Stop No Plane Change Question

Its been a long time since I have done this but we are flying FLL-BWI-SLC at the end of the month where we stay on the plane the whole time. WE have 50 min in BWI, can one of us get off and grab something to eat? Total time traveling is 8 hour 20min so would be nice to grab something for lunch.

Thanks!
Old Jan 17, 2017, 10:03 pm

With only a 50 minute layover it's not very likely they'd let you off, since they'll start boarding T-30 the departure time.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 10:59 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
If it is quick turn they really don't want you to deplane. If there is time before they start boarding the next group they will let ya deplane. Done it many times...sometimes they will even announce it as an option during longer layovers or early arrivals....really long turns they will kick ya off if the crew need to deplane as well and next crew is not on board.

If they let a large group off, you will just show your ID and reboard right before they start preboarding of the next leg. If it is just you, they just need to let the Gate Agent know so you can shoe ID to reboard.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 1:35 am

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I would not plan around being able to do it.

BWI's terminal is pier based with the substantial eateries centrally located so you could end up with a half mile roundtrip walk from high B/C to anything that isn't Starbucks. The central location also means longer than usual lines to order.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 5:53 am

Programs: LTP, PP
I wouldn't 100% count on it but it's very likely you can jot out for 10 minutes to pick something up quickly with a 50 min turn, especially if early due to the likely schedule padding. Done it many times. BWI is huge and the central eateries in front of gates A1-A4 can be crowded but there are several other smaller overpriced places as well in the B and upper A piers. For a flight like that, I would pack, pack, pack though.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:12 am

If you are allowed to deplane at BWI, you will need to wait until all other deplaning pax (either who are terminating or connecting at BWI) exit, so the FAs can do a thru count.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:51 am

Programs: LTP, PP
After moving up to the exit row of course!
Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:56 am

If you get in early, it is likely they would let you off. However, if on time, by the time deplaning ends, boarding will likely be about to begin.

I would just get something in FLL you can save for later.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by 737MAX8
If you get in early, it is likely they would let you off. However, if on time, by the time deplaning ends, boarding will likely be about to begin.

I would just get something in FLL you can save for later.
I would generally agree with you, but the food at T-1 in FLL flat out sucks.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Given the length of the two segments, I would strongly advise packing sandwiches or purchasing food for both segments at FLL. All it takes is a bit of a delay and you may be at that gate for <30 minutes. WN at BWI can handle a quick rotation. If you don't like the food at FLL, bring sandwiches from home. The alternative may well be a 5-hour flight with nothing.

However, if there is time, WN can't stop you from deplaning when you want to deplane (presuming that there is time). Just tell the FA as you walk off the aircraft and say it loudly to the agent at the door. By then it's too late for the FA to do anything.

The issue of time really does matter at BWI. Slim pickings if you are at the end of a pier and it's a busy time on top of it. So, this whole thing is a bad idea.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:09 am

Programs: none
If you are allowed to do it, make sure you bring some type of photo ID with you. You'll need it to get back on. Hint: when you print your initial boarding pass, make an extra copy because they take one away from you when you get onto your first leg.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 10:13 am

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
Originally Posted by Allan38103
Hint: when you print your initial boarding pass, make an extra copy because they take one away from you when you get onto your first leg.
Thru passengers do not need a boarding pass to reboard at a layover nor will it speed up the process. All you need is your photo ID.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Household of Delta GM & PM, SWA RR CP, Bonvoy Platinum, Hertz #1 Gold, Budget RZ
Thanks everyone! Coming off of a cruise, so can't make anything to take. FLL has terrible options for food also, guess it will be protein bars and some jerky for lunch that day
Old Jan 18, 2017, 4:09 pm

And peanuts!
Old Jan 18, 2017, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by mbaker0936
Thanks everyone! Coming off of a cruise, so can't make anything to take. FLL has terrible options for food also, guess it will be protein bars and some jerky for lunch that day
How about bringing along some leftovers from the cruise? Food from a cruise will beat airport food most anytime/anywhere!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.