Wiki Posts
Search

Business Select is a joke

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2017, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plt, SPG Platinum
Business Select is a joke

A1 boarding pass. 5 pre boards plus a companion. And at least 15 passengers continuing on the flight. So not even in the first 15 passengers on the plane. What's the point of me paying the additional $ if there is no real benefit? Feeling a bit robbed. The passenger with A15 is probably feeling even more robbed. This is nonsense.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 11:54 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Duh. Trying buying BS and checking in at T-24 to get A01, your 1 hour incoming hop is a few minutes late, the entire plane has boarded already and you get to squeeze into a middle seat for a coast to coast. Now that is nonsense!
Old Jan 14, 2017, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bustraveler
A1 boarding pass. 5 pre boards plus a companion. And at least 15 passengers continuing on the flight. So not even in the first 15 passengers on the plane. What's the point of me paying the additional $ if there is no real benefit? Feeling a bit robbed. The passenger with A15 is probably feeling even more robbed. This is nonsense.
In terms of boarding, what exactly did you expect BS to provide?
AFAIK, in terms of boarding, all any of Southwest's upgrades insure is a better boarding LINE position. You got that. No seat is ever guaranteed on WN.
BS, like EBCI, is only a value proposition for very specific conditions.

Last edited by rickg523; Jan 14, 2017 at 8:44 pm
Old Jan 14, 2017, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Deleted..
Old Jan 14, 2017, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Deleted..again...I'm going to sleep
Old Jan 14, 2017, 12:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
BUSTRAVELER means either Business Traveler or Bus Traveler. If it is the former, don't use WN. If it is the latter, you are on a somewhat faster bus most of the time and time is money.

There is nothing new here. The alternative to not allowing people who require extra time to board at the start is to delay departure because WN can't deny folks the time they need and it may also have to shift passengers around to acommodate disabilities. Through passengers are through passengers. Hope you aren't suggesting that WN boot them for you.

That made you the #1 passenger to board without some special claim on a seat. I guess that's better than the last guy.

True, WN ought to market it as "Better Than Nothing Class" but short of seat assignments, there's nothing to be done.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 12:05 pm

Not sure if you're making a point or asking a question. Since you classify BS as a "joke", what exactly was promised but not delivered? A lack of research on your part isn't the same as a failure to deliver on the company's part.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
This has been covered here since about 2 hours after BS was announced.

Never understood buying BS unless forced at the last minute.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
This has been covered here since about 2 hours after BS was announced.

Never understood buying BS unless forced at the last minute.
Great for mega points and quick status when someone else paying the tab.

Last edited by joshua362; Jan 14, 2017 at 1:01 pm
Old Jan 14, 2017, 2:30 pm

When it comes to boarding with open seating, the earlier, the better. There are no guarantees ANYWHERE when it comes to airline seating, even on legacies with seat assignments (equipment swap, system glitch, FAM, seat poacher with unsympathetic FA, etc.).

Duh. Trying buying BS and checking in at T-24 to get A01, your 1 hour incoming hop is a few minutes late, the entire plane has boarded already and you get to squeeze into a middle seat for a coast to coast. Now that is nonsense!
Or having a BS position with 104 thrus PLUS 6-10 preboards (this actually happens, albeit rarely, on occasion at STL according to a GA when I asked her the maximum number of thrus she has seen out of pure curiosity). Of course those are the exceptions, not the norm by any means.

Honestly, many people (other than those traveling for business who booked last minute) would be better off just getting the WGA fare and paying the $30 or $40 BS upgrade on during non-peak business travel days and times if they are not satisfied with their T-24 position (and EBCI when they are traveling during those times as there may be no more BS slots left at the podium).

Last edited by Poker2012chu; Jan 14, 2017 at 2:40 pm Reason: add more info
Old Jan 14, 2017, 4:11 pm

What did you expect that wasn't delivered?
Old Jan 14, 2017, 8:05 pm

The additional benefits (or lack thereof) are cleared spelled out when you booked the ticket. What exactly did you think you were going to get that you didn't? Or did you just not read what you were buying?
Old Jan 14, 2017, 8:58 pm

I'm sure there must be some benefit over booking WGA but given the price difference and that you can book EBCI for $30 I have no idea why anyone would book a fare ( if it's available ) other than WGA
Old Jan 14, 2017, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512
I'm sure there must be some benefit over booking WGA but given the price difference and that you can book EBCI for $30 I have no idea why anyone would book a fare ( if it's available ) other than WGA
Extra Points. Basic. CPQ points. TQ points. That's all there is guaranteed. A 6am alcoholic drink as well.

Last edited by joshua362; Jan 14, 2017 at 10:28 pm
Old Jan 14, 2017, 10:20 pm

At the risk of sounding insensitive, couldn't preboarders go after Business Select? I think that would make sense, and if I had to preboard if god forbid i need some extra time, I think i'd be ok with letting the business travelers who paid bucks for their tickets get first dibs at seats...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.