Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott pkg for SWA CP

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2017, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Marriott pkg for SWA CP

I tried searching but couldn't find an answer. Looking at the Marriott property on St. Thomas for a trip this summer. It's a cat 9 hotel. Using points, it's 390K Marriott points for the flight, hotel, and 120k SW RR points which in turn gets the CP. The same pkg in cash is about $2,500. Are you able to buy the package and still get the SW points? Or is it only by using your Marriott points?
Old Jan 13, 2017, 12:20 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver, RR A-List
Originally Posted by skw1
I tried searching but couldn't find an answer. Looking at the Marriott property on St. Thomas for a trip this summer. It's a cat 9 hotel. Using points, it's 390K Marriott points for the flight, hotel, and 120k SW RR points which in turn gets the CP. The same pkg in cash is about $2,500. Are you able to buy the package and still get the SW points? Or is it only by using your Marriott points?
Where do you see the option to purchase the flight and hotel package with cash?
Old Jan 13, 2017, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Marriott let's you pay cash for air and hotel packages. The one I was looking at also included 5k bonus points. So I was wondering if the same package, but with the Southwest points can also be purchased? Or is that one only available byou redeeming points?
Old Jan 13, 2017, 6:36 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
I think OP is looking at this where they include a RT flight as part of the package likely with significant mark up.

For kicks I tried 2 WN cities where WN has has several daily direct flights. WN isn't even offered while the others connect!

So No and Yes to OP's questions. You might get a few WN points for the flight only if they participate in some other city pair.

https://vacationsbymarriott.poweredb...1/20/2017TANYT
Old Jan 13, 2017, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by joshua362
I think OP is looking at this where they include a RT flight as part of the package likely with significant mark up.

For kicks I tried 2 WN cities where WN has has several daily direct flights. WN isn't even offered while the others connect!

So No and Yes to OP's questions. You might get a few WN points for the flight only if they participate in some other city pair.

https://vacationsbymarriott.poweredb...1/20/2017TANYT
Off subject but have you ever stayed at that Marriott in Fort Lauderdale ? We are going but may stay at the Courtyard on ( across) the beach
Old Jan 13, 2017, 8:53 pm

Yes, 3 nights as a PP in March 2012, no upgrade, no lounge or breakfast coupons, got 2 beach chairs for free, wanted $25/day for a portable room fridge. But people here rave about it, I didn't think it was anything too special except for the walking proximity to the Spring Break bars that my son & I enjoyed nightly. Passed by the CY daily, if a better bargain I'd consider it.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by joshua362
Yes, 3 nights as a PP in March 2012, no upgrade, no lounge or breakfast coupons, got 2 beach chairs for free, wanted $25/day for a portable room fridge. But people here rave about it, I didn't think it was anything too special except for the walking proximity to the Spring Break bars that my son & I enjoyed nightly. Passed by the CY daily, if a better bargain I'd consider it.

It's a Cat 7 and no resort fees...........seemed like a better deal.........both want like $30 a day to park so we are just going to take a cab/uber

7 eleven and liquor store right next to the hotel so we should be all set

I can't see paying nearly $500 to rent a car and parking
Old Jan 14, 2017, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by flyer4512
It's a Cat 7 and no resort fees...........seemed like a better deal.........both want like $30 a day to park so we are just going to take a cab/uber

7 eleven and liquor store right next to the hotel so we should be all set

I can't see paying nearly $500 to rent a car and parking
Absolutely, no real need, it's a short ride from FLL. We had a car driving in from the Mets at Port St Lucie and took a few trips. Also my stay was pre-resort fees. Never ate at the hotel, the Starbucks inside was woefully overpriced.

If you are just going to chill at the beach, it's probably perfect.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 8:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Did two unrelated Marriott threads get merged here?

It sounds like the OP is asking about the Marriott Travel Packages. Redeem 390,000 Marriott points, receive 120,000 RR points plus 1 week in a Category 9 Marriott.

You cannot buy this award directly with cash - other than the options available to buy Marriott points. This award does not include booked flights anywhere: it includes 120,000 RR points, deposited into your account shortly after you redeem the award.

It's semi-common in Marriott-land for members to redeem this award in January if they want a Southwest CP for the next (almost) 2 years. If you don't yet know which Marriott you want to visit for a week, you redeem the Category 5 award and pick the hotel later (you have one year to book the stay and then a little less than a year after that to complete it). You can always upgrade a Category 5 award to a higher category. You cannot downgrade awards.

The airline miles/points and hotel stay have nothing to do with each other - you can redeem a TP for Southwest points and do the hotel stay anywhere in the world.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.