Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transferring SW miles after death

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2016, 12:16 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by CarolynAnn
Yes, rsteinmetz70112, I'm surprised that no one else has had to deal with this recently. I did find a form online for transferring points so apparently they did this at one time. I can and have booked travel using points; the problem is that there are so many points that it would be difficult to use them all in the 13 months remaining. I did try to set up my own account, but it has my husband's account linked to mine somehow, and when I try to set up a separate account, it says I already have one & sends me to his.
You are confusing this with the normal offer to transfer points to anyone, for a substantial fee. I would do this as a last resort as the clock is running out if you choose not to reset the clock by earning something as suggested by others above.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by CarolynAnn
...the problem is that there are so many points that it would be difficult to use them all in the 13 months remaining....
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...000-000-a.html
Old Nov 28, 2016, 2:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by LegalTender
Blindingly obvious that's not how it works.
Never lets the facts get in the way of rambling on about an airline he never flies.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 8:09 pm

Couldn't I just log on to the account of the deceased individual book a reservation cancel it and then use the Funds later during the one year period? Or if I know the individual is in the hospital but is alert have them book a reservation in my name and then I would call and cancel it and have the Funds for a Year?

Or Use the points for a Refundable Ticket and cancel it and pocket. Unless you inform WN the person died how else do they know the person died? In fact as the Power of Attorney you would have full authority to book a ticket in your name using the points as inherited property.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 8:12 pm

What's the need for all the cancellations??? Book tickets for your own use (heck, anyone's use) until they're gone, no timeline, book a flight at least once every 2 years.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by danielonn
Couldn't I just log on to the account of the deceased individual book a reservation cancel it and then use the Funds later during the one year period? Or if I know the individual is in the hospital but is alert have them book a reservation in my name and then I would call and cancel it and have the Funds for a Year?

Or Use the points for a Refundable Ticket and cancel it and pocket. Unless you inform WN the person died how else do they know the person died? In fact as the Power of Attorney you would have full authority to book a ticket in your name using the points as inherited property.
Canceled points bookings are refunded as points back to the original account.

If the OP has access to the account, then there's really no problem.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by dmbolp
What's the need for all the cancellations??? Book tickets for your own use until they're gone, no timeline, book a flight at least once every 2 years.
In order to keep the account active and avoid forfeiting the points balance, points earning activity has to happen within 2 years. Luckily, there are many ways to earn points, including points purchase.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by dmbolp
What's the need for all the cancellations??? Book tickets for your own use (heck, anyone's use) until they're gone, no timeline, book a flight at least once every 2 years.
Using points does not extend the expiration date, only adding points!
Old Dec 1, 2016, 8:46 am

Also getting points back after cancelling an award booking does not extend the expiration date.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.