Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Our 71-Hour Trip From Hell During Southwest’s July 2016 “IT Meltdown”

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Our 71-Hour Trip From Hell During Southwest’s July 2016 “IT Meltdown”

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2016, 11:57 am

OP, Maybe I missed it but were you able to recover your bags for you flight home? I guess the real question is if you cancelled your flight for a refund would you get your luggage back at that point?
Old Aug 9, 2016, 12:29 pm

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In this case, do you get the $800 if you get yourself a ticket to get home before the two days have passed? How do you prove to the insurance company that the best WN would have done is the flight two days later that you didn't take?
My experience is that this is much easier to claim than the price match benefit with Chase. I do not believe it will cover a new ticket on another carrier, however.

Originally Posted by Chase
What’s Covered

Reasonable additional expenses incurred for meals, lodging, toiletries, medication, and other personal use items due to the covered delay
(https://www.chase.com/content/chasec...bursement.html)
Old Aug 10, 2016, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by yoyosma
OP, Maybe I missed it but were you able to recover your bags for you flight home? I guess the real question is if you cancelled your flight for a refund would you get your luggage back at that point?
No, Southwest's policy is to put your bags on the next non-stop flight out. So my bags made it to Charleston the very next morning while we remained in Chicago for another 2 days trying to get home.

Southwest, fantastic at transporting bags...humans, not so much!
Old Aug 11, 2016, 12:22 am

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In this case, do you get the $800 if you get yourself a ticket to get home before the two days have passed? How do you prove to the insurance company that the best WN would have done is the flight two days later that you didn't take?
At least for my insurance, you submit the new itinerary they give you (even if it isn't what you take), then the claim is based on that, with the amount that the airline gives you in refund compensation subtracted (if you are honest and report it correctly).

For instance, last week:
Scheduled to fly AAA-BBB-CCC on Friday. Was notified on Thursday that AAA-BBB was cancelled; was given the option of flying from DDD-BBB-CCC with transport from AAA-DDD at my own cost, or flying a day later. Rejected both options, was promised a refund for the segments, and booked my own way home from AAA-CCC.

I send my insurance company the old itinerary, new itinerary, and my replacement itinerary and they pay out up to $500 based on the 24 hour delay on the new itinerary, minus the refund amount given by the airline. I then use that to pay for the replacement itinerary and come out reasonably close to even--but home instead of stranded.

I love travel insurance, especially because they pay cash, not reimbursements, on delayed bags as well. They lose money on me every time
Old Aug 11, 2016, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by MKE-MR
At least for my insurance, you submit the new itinerary they give you (even if it isn't what you take), then the claim is based on that, with the amount that the airline gives you in refund compensation subtracted (if you are honest and report it correctly).

For instance, last week:
Scheduled to fly AAA-BBB-CCC on Friday. Was notified on Thursday that AAA-BBB was cancelled; was given the option of flying from DDD-BBB-CCC with transport from AAA-DDD at my own cost, or flying a day later. Rejected both options, was promised a refund for the segments, and booked my own way home from AAA-CCC.

I send my insurance company the old itinerary, new itinerary, and my replacement itinerary and they pay out up to $500 based on the 24 hour delay on the new itinerary, minus the refund amount given by the airline. I then use that to pay for the replacement itinerary and come out reasonably close to even--but home instead of stranded.

I love travel insurance, especially because they pay cash, not reimbursements, on delayed bags as well. They lose money on me every time
What insurance do you have? How much does it cost?
Old Aug 11, 2016, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by jmgriffin
No, Southwest's policy is to put your bags on the next non-stop flight out. So my bags made it to Charleston the very next morning while we remained in Chicago for another 2 days trying to get home.

Southwest, fantastic at transporting bags...humans, not so much!
Thanks for the info and the good chuckle.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Yes, I'm a bit interested in the same question. And also, I'd be very worried travel insurance would have too much fine print with exceptions that let them off the hook in situations like this.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 9:19 pm

OP did southwest end up reimbursing you anything for your trip costs (other than vouchers/coupons/points)? If not, you should know that it is possible, I just got reimbursement, see my note in the meltdown thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27091606-post433.html

Good luck!
Old Aug 23, 2016, 6:11 am

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
It's just a generic travel policy--I've had a few providers over the years as the industry is quite competitive so I go with whoever has the cheapest promo that meets my needs. I pay between $200-300/year for a full international policy. They have cheaper options for regional policies.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 6:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is nothing to worry about in terms of "fine print". "Fine print" is simply an excuse for not bothering to read the policy.

There is an easy solution. Read the policy.

If all you want is a simple travel disruption policy for domestic flying, don't purchase a policy which includes worldwide air ambulance evacuation back to the US. If you only fly 3-4 times a year, consider whether an annual policy is really worth it, especially if only 1-2 of those trips involve connections at out-of-the-way locations.

Lastly, it is all about risk tolerance. If you regularly travel and your routings are largely on nonstop flights with multiple flights per day, is it really worth spending $200-300/year so that once every 3-4 years, you get a hotel reimbursed and have to spend $75 for some place near an airport which provides what you want, e.g. a bed and a cup of coffee in the AM?
Old Aug 23, 2016, 9:05 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by Often1
There is nothing to worry about in terms of "fine print". "Fine print" is simply an excuse for not bothering to read the policy.

There is an easy solution. Read the policy.
An entire profession ("legal") exists because two people reading the same fine print can't agree on its meaning.

Originally Posted by Often1
Lastly, it is all about risk tolerance. If you regularly travel and your routings are largely on nonstop flights with multiple flights per day, is it really worth spending $200-300/year so that once every 3-4 years, you get a hotel reimbursed and have to spend $75 for some place near an airport which provides what you want, e.g. a bed and a cup of coffee in the AM?
This is very, very good advice. You shouldn't insure everything just because you can. My pet peeve is life insurance peddlers selling to single young people with no dependents....
Old Aug 23, 2016, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by joshua362
My pet peeve is life insurance peddlers selling to single young people with no dependents....
Or people putting life insurance policies on newborns. One of the dumbest things imaginable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.