Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest Gets New IT System for Many Changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest Gets New IT System for Many Changes

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2016, 7:28 pm

Big front seats on Southwest will never happen, IMHO. Assigned seating? Maybe.

I expect any changes that come from the new system will be primarily for WN's benefit, and likely at the customer's expense.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Point to point routes isn't a problem for assigned seating on legacy carriers. It's not always simple A-B-A. Here's what a random DL 757 has done in the last few days - all legs with First cabins, Comfort+ section, coach and assigned seats:

That's Delta N540US. Props to FlightAware.
What's most impressive is how it converted itself from an A321 to a B752 at FLL!
Old Jul 7, 2016, 12:34 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by smmrfld
What's most impressive is how it converted itself from an A321 to a B752 at FLL!
Well, y'know, miracle flights and all
Old Jul 7, 2016, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
First steps first. They can't make that option, that I can see, without doing assigned seating first. Reason: If everyone can sit wherever they want, what's the point in having a different section with fewer seats in the same space if no one can pay for it and be guaranteed that they'll sit there.

AirTran had assigned seating, didn't they?

And they also have to have a predictable plane configuration on a given route. That's hard when the planes fly points A to point B to point C to point D to point E to point F with a mix of shorter and longer legs over the course of a day.

The legacy airlines are able to have a predictable plane configuration because a lot of their spoke flights are hub A to spoke B to hub A to spoke B to hub A to spoke B all day long, ie, the same plane is flying the same route back and forth often.
Note also my keeping it simple it greatly reduces labor costs. Compare WN to AA for example where WN has an agent working multiple flights, compared to AA who needs multiple agents for one flight dealing with last minute seating changes and upgrades
Old Jul 7, 2016, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by MrMan
Compare WN to AA for example where WN has an agent working multiple flights, compared to AA who needs multiple agents for one flight dealing with last minute seating changes and upgrades
Not in my experience. One agent works multiple flights at AA (and others). Upgrades don't involve a PA call to the counter.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 10:52 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
I also was surprised how many examples of limitations were provided. I think AA (particular LUS in the 'home Southwest' PHX-based area) does a very aggressive planning with daily flight variability based on demand scheduling.

Also, Southwest heavily advertises on kayak when one of its routes matches a search, so I don't see why fare comparison would be a problem at some point soon.

Rasheed
Old Jul 7, 2016, 3:38 pm

First steps first. They can't make that option, that I can see, without doing assigned seating first. Reason: If everyone can sit wherever they want, what's the point in having a different section with fewer seats in the same space if no one can pay for it and be guaranteed that they'll sit there.

AirTran had assigned seating, didn't they?
Yes that did and if you booked an Airtran Flight through Southwest you got a random assigned seat. But if you booked through Airtran you could pick your seat at checlin. At least thats hiow I remember it. I was Airtran Elite so I fgot to pick any seat on the plane except Busniess, but I got that at the gate most of the time.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Point to point routes isn't a problem for assigned seating on legacy carriers. It's not always simple A-B-A.
But legacy carriers don't fly a zillion different versions of the same plane. They are more likely to fly one version of one plane, another version of another plane, etc. (For example, AA only flies 738s, not any other member of the 737 family.)

Southwest's point-to-point extreme makes it less predictable which version of the 737 you will get on a particular flight. Which makes assigned seating difficult if the seat map is different for every version of the 737 Southwest flies.

While legacy airlines may do a bit of point to point, they don't do it to the degree where they mess up which kind of plane is on a given route (and thus make assigned seating a total mess to clear up at the gate). Plane changes only happen in rare cases.

But until Southwest gets the consistency to be able to tell you exactly which "flavor" of 737 you'll be flying in at booking time, and have that overwhelmingly turn out to be true by the time you board, Southwest will have trouble doing assigned seats (at least without blocking out sizeable parts of the plane) because of the different seating maps on the different "flavors" of the 737.

That consistency is much easier if the same planes fly a limited number of routes all the time, rather than each plane "randomly" getting circulated all around the country.

Southwest's policy of flying only 737s, but flying almost all "flavors" of the 737 semi-interchangeably, is very much tied to their open seating policy. With open seating, all that matters is the number of seats (and little differences in that can be soaked up by last minute changes by some passengers not showing up and other passengers standing by.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 5:31 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
I used to book SW "business select" and got to choose one of those sweet Business Class seats and collect the SW points. It was sweet while it lasted. That was certainly an example of a system limitation workaround or a bridge.

Despite the name calling above, I still contend WN could do things to mitigate "the IT limitations" it has. Data is data, might take a big effort to do so but its possible. I had a CIO like this from 2004-2010 where budgets, org chart power, headcount & the latest equipment meant much more then getting it done!

Last edited by joshua362; Dec 13, 2017 at 1:06 pm
Old Jul 7, 2016, 5:33 pm

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
But legacy carriers don't fly a zillion different versions of the same plane. They are more likely to fly one version of one plane, another version of another plane, etc. (For example, AA only flies 738s, not any other member of the 737 family.)
Official Delta B737-800/900 Mods Thread

737 Status
73W - LED mood lighting, soft bulkhead between Y anf F
738 - New AVOD, LED mood lighting, 7 rows of C+, soft bulkhead between Y and F, updated lavs, ISP in all seats.
73H - Mod; LED mood lighting, 7 rows of C+, soft bulkhead between Y and F, updated lavs, ISP in all seats.
739 - scimitar winglets, Sat TV
The Official 757-200 Interior Mod Tracking Thread

Current configurations:
757 – F24W20Y136 (PMDL, standard domestic 757, overhead TVs, WiFi)
75X – F26W26Y132 (PMDL, ex-Song, has AVOD/Sat TV, WiFi) *Only 1 aircraft left in this configuration, N684DA (684)*
75S – C16W44Y108 (PMDL, International/JFK-CA, flatbeds in C, Satellite WiFi, PTVs)
75D – F20W29Y150 (AVOD/Sat TV, ISP, WiFi, new lavs/galleys/bins/PSUs/LED lighting and winglets)
75H – F20W29Y150 (AVOD/Sat TV, ISP, Satellite WiFi, new lavs/galleys/bins/PSUs/LED lighting, winglets and ETOPS)
75G – F20W21Y128 (WiFi, winglets, new lavs, ETOPS, old bins, no IFE/ISP)
75C – F72 (NBA/Charter configuration)

Historical configurations:
75A – F24W18Y132 (PMNW, “Interport”, overhead TVs, no WiFi) - all 6 converted to 75H
75E – C16W25Y130 (PMDL, International/JFK-CA, recliners in C, WiFi, PTVs) - all converted to 75S
75M - F22W18Y141 (PMNW, WiFi) - all converted to 75D (5650-5657) or 75H (5639-5643, 5648-5649).
75N – F22W19Y141 (PMNW, WiFi) - all retired
75V – F22W21Y132 (PMDL, ex-ATA/SQ, primarily on Hawaii routes, overhead TVs, WiFi) - all retired
Old Jul 8, 2016, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry, I meant different seating configurations. (That should have been obvious from the context, no?)

How many of those have different seating configurations because the lighting was changed or the WiFi was changed?

It's only differences in seating configurations that matters to how easy it is for the system to know at booking time exactly how what assignable seats there will be on the airplane you fly when you fly it.

It's exit rows I would want to reserve on Southwest planes, if Southwest had assigned seating with existing planes. The exit rows are differently configured on different Southwest planes. And I see no way at present to know which of those configurations my plane will have at the time I book it. The only reason it doesn't matter at present is because Southwest has open seating instead of assigned seating.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 10:27 am

Sorry, I meant different seating configurations. (That should have been obvious from the context, no?)

How many of those have different seating configurations because the lighting was changed or the WiFi was changed?
The 757 wiki lists the F/Comfort+/Economy breakdowns. For the DL 737 variants I'munsure off the top of my head so you may have a point, but you can check the Delta online seat maps or seatguru as well as I can

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en.../Aircraft.html

There are definitely some differences in where the exit row is and whether it's 2 or 3 for example.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by keitherson
Who's looking forward to those redeyes on WN?
I am a big fan of the AA SAN-MIA redeye for quick leisure trips to the Caribbean, Riveria Maya - gets me to my resort destination in time for lunch, enjoy the first day of my vacation.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by keitherson
Who's looking forward to those redeyes on WN?
Redeyes should allow WN to increase utilization of its fleet, add more time between flights to improve schedule performance.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 6:06 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by dlaue
Hate to be cynical Debbbie Downer, but-----

I get scared when I hear Southwest and IT in the same sentence.

Right now, their system is running about as well as I can remember. Hence, it is "obsolete".

Am I the only one who fears the "improved" system?

Just wanted to rub it in.

I posted this on July 2, in response to the banner announcement that Southwest was going to upgrade its IT systems and thereby increase its profits by $1/2 billion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.