Wiki Posts
Search

A+ Priority Standby... Not

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2016, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MR LT Titanium, SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP
A+ Priority Standby... Not

Not sure how the math works here but as an A+ flying on a BS ticket, I was placed 13th on the list. As someone who ranks high and paid for a top end ticket, I thought I would be in the top few. This was due to the fact that I was previously told standby rank was based on status, then amount paid. However, it seems that through pax get priority over originating pax, regardless of status. There were MANY in front of me that did not have equal status not were they on BS fares.

Perhaps they did miss previous connections due to wx.

Anyone know the math here??
Old Jun 25, 2016, 12:14 am

There are seven or eight standby categories I believe, and those who have already been delayed on an earlier flight, those who have had an earlier flight cancelled, and those who have tight connections are prioritized over A+.

Last edited by smmrfld; Jun 25, 2016 at 12:19 am
Old Jun 25, 2016, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: MR LT Titanium, SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP
I ended up asking a GA as I was pretty darn sure the others on the list were not A+ and flying on a BS fare. The GA told me that the order was based on "status" and fare paid, like I thought. I asked about people bumped or missing from previous flights and he said I'd trump them. I think he's not informed. If that was the case, I should have been top 3 and not 13. Another GA said something about connecting pax getting priority over originating pax.

I'd love to know the formula.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by jb3t
I'd love to know the formula.
As long as HVCs believe a diligent formula prevails, that's all that matters.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 11:13 pm

Whatever the formula is -- assuming there actually is one -- it can be manipulated and/or overridden by the gate agent.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 9:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Marriott LT
Originally Posted by ursine1
Whatever the formula is -- assuming there actually is one -- it can be manipulated and/or overridden by the gate agent.
Exactly. I was in a similar situation after a slew of storm cancellations at BWI earlier this spring. I was A+ on a BS fare and #15 or so on the standby list. I went to gate agent and said something like, "I'm a little confused because I thought my A+ and BS ticket would make me #1 on the standby list." She said, "That is odd," and cleared me right there for the flight I wanted.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 10:14 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by palmetto86
Exactly. I was in a similar situation after a slew of storm cancellations at BWI earlier this spring. I was A+ on a BS fare and #15 or so on the standby list. I went to gate agent and said something like, "I'm a little confused because I thought my A+ and BS ticket would make me #1 on the standby list." She said, "That is odd," and cleared me right there for the flight I wanted.
Perhaps the list is not automatically sorted except entry order and it takes a gate or phone agent to manually prioritize anyone?
Old Jun 27, 2016, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by joshua362
Perhaps the list is not automatically sorted except entry order and it takes a gate or phone agent to manually prioritize anyone?
I think this is likely a result of Southwest's lax policies, which they justify as empowering employees.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 6:47 am

Programs: WN CP & A-List Pref, HH Gold, Marriott LT PP
Originally Posted by ursine1
Exactly. There is some fine print displayed on the standby list tv screens that says something to this effect. i.e. They reserve the right to deviate from the list/pre-determined order as needed.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 8:34 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards A+, Delta Diamond Elite, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Platinum, Skyclub Executive
People, People, People.... Let me give you the worst scenario.

I was BS, and my flight was cancelled. I was able to secure the next flight, on "stand by". I was the last person to board the plane, and got a wonderful middle seat, as BS!

I paid well over $550 for a middle seat. ...!?

I've learned my lesson over the years. The first BS customers who check in manually at T24 get the best seats. If I don't check in on time, and forget, I've gotten A9-A15 every time. Everyone is trumped after the first passenger's who've purchased BS, and have checked in T24.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 11:55 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by mthake

I was BS, and my flight was cancelled. I was able to secure the next flight, on "stand by". I was the last person to board the plane, and got a wonderful middle seat, as BS!

If you were on stand by, by definition you weren't able to "secure" the next flight. You only got on the next flight because it was sold out and they had a no show. It sucks that your flight was cancelled but I would be willing to bet that your BS fare got you that last seat with other passengers getting left behind. If the flight is sold out, they aren't going to confirm you on it until they know they have an open seat which generally means everyone else gets on before you.

I've learned my lesson over the years. The first BS customers who check in manually at T24 get the best seats. If I don't check in on time, and forget, I've gotten A9-A15 every time. Everyone is trumped after the first passenger's who've purchased BS, and have checked in T24.
AFAIK BS has always been first come, first served. So checking in at T-24 is important only if you want to be in the first few positions. If anything up to A15 is ok with you, then no need to check in at T-24. Not sure what you mean by "everyone is trumped" unless you mean that it is first come, first served.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 12:22 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
I for one love the list and it does sort on its own for me. I have had to argue a few times to even GET on standby due to the agent saying there were 30-60 pax already on the list. When I ask them to 'humor me' and add me, they are speechless when I ask a minute later where I am on the list--and they see me listed first.

I do agree, however, that OP's issue was likely that another group of passengers had misconnected--or were going to have overnight accomodations on Southwest's dime if they didn't make standby.... So an a list preferred might still be low on the list.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 12:24 am

I have no idea what point you're trying to make.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 7:50 am

Programs: LTP, PP

No, let me give you the worst. Pay $650+ for BS, SJC-LAX-BWI, make sure to check in exactly at T-24 and pulled A01 both legs. A List + as well.

About to leave at but stopped for a burnt out light bulb (quick fix) then the inevitable "paper work" delays.

Now very late to LAX, no time to get food, claustrophobic middle seat, near panic attack for a ride across the country.

Rinse and repeat many times 2013-2015
Old Jul 3, 2016, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by justhere
It sucks that your flight was cancelled but I would be willing to bet that your BS fare got you that last seat with other passengers getting left behind.
Priority should be systematic, not imagined, in IRROPS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.