Wiki Posts
Search

Entering a KTN after you book a reservation

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2016, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Entering a KTN after you book a reservation

I know you can enter a Rapid Rewards # after you book a reservation, but I couldn't see how to enter a TSA KTN #. Could someone tell me if that is possible, and if so, how? Thanks.
Old May 28, 2016, 11:01 am

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by JerryFF
I know you can enter a Rapid Rewards # after you book a reservation, but I couldn't see how to enter a TSA KTN #. Could someone tell me if that is possible, and if so, how? Thanks.
Provided it's a domestic trip w/no international involvement, you'll need to call-in & have them manually add it on a per-reservation basis. They know the drill & it's a quick process.

Adding a KTN to a Southwest reservation with at least one international leg accomplishes nothing as the international reservation automation is not capable of pushing the Inquiry Transaction up to the TSA.
Old May 28, 2016, 8:26 pm

Also not sure if they fixed this but I had my ktn added post check in (hadn't flown sw in a long while) and pre check didn't apply (had already checked in w/o it) so they said would either have to re-check in (losing boarding postion) or not have pre check.

So long story short - do it before checking in for sure.
Old May 28, 2016, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by Newguy08
Also not sure if they fixed this but I had my ktn added post check in (hadn't flown sw in a long while) and pre check didn't apply (had already checked in w/o it) so they said would either have to re-check in (losing boarding postion) or not have pre check.

If you are A-List or bought EBCI you need to do it more than 36 hours before flight time as well.

Last edited by rsteinmetz70112; May 29, 2016 at 6:15 am
Old May 28, 2016, 11:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Thanks - I don't feel like such a dummy now.
Old May 29, 2016, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by JerryFF
Thanks - I don't feel like such a dummy now.
If you haven't called yet, I just discovered how to add the KTN yourself.

From the WN homepage, go to Flight - Manage Reservations - Add Secure Traveler Info
Old May 29, 2016, 11:07 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Newguy08

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
If you are A-List or bought EBCI you need to do it more than 36 hours before flight time as well.
The first reservation I made after getting GE/Precheck, I made sure my KTN was in my profile, etc.

Came time to check in and no precheck on my BP. I almost didn't call WN as I figured there wasn't anything they could do and I'd see what would happen with my next reservation. However I did call and the rep said no problem, did a few things and then said "ok, view your BP again", which I did and now precheck was on there.
Old May 30, 2016, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by justhere
Came time to check in and no precheck on my BP. I almost didn't call WN as I figured there wasn't anything they could do and I'd see what would happen with my next reservation. However I did call and the rep said no problem, did a few things and then said "ok, view your BP again", which I did and now precheck was on there.
Has the pre check worked since then?

I had a similar issue when I made a typo in entering the KTN. By calling, the agent unchecked me in, entered KTN, rechecked me in. Risk is a changed boarding number.

If you haven't used pre check since, you might verify the KTN as well as matching your name, including middle name.
Old May 30, 2016, 9:51 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by AFAM-DFW
Has the pre check worked since then?

I had a similar issue when I made a typo in entering the KTN. By calling, the agent unchecked me in, entered KTN, rechecked me in. Risk is a changed boarding number.

If you haven't used pre check since, you might verify the KTN as well as matching your name, including middle name.
It's worked perfectly since then. I had actually made 4 reservations after getting my approval for GE/precheck.

When I called about the one I had checked in for, the agent asked if I had any other reservations and updated those as well. Of course, I'm not sure what would have happened if he hadn't touched them. Maybe precheck would have shown up anyway.

The only thing I can think of is that even though you update your KTN in your profile, it takes a few days for the reservations system to catch up. I'm pretty sure it was at least 24 hours after I updated my profile that I made the bookings so maybe it takes a few days for things to sync up.

Anyway, point being that I was checked in and didn't have precheck on my BP but a quick phone call fixed it so it can be done.
Old May 30, 2016, 11:34 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
It's worked perfectly since then. I had actually made 4 reservations after getting my approval for GE/precheck.

When I called about the one I had checked in for, the agent asked if I had any other reservations and updated those as well. Of course, I'm not sure what would have happened if he hadn't touched them. Maybe precheck would have shown up anyway.

The only thing I can think of is that even though you update your KTN in your profile, it takes a few days for the reservations system to catch up. I'm pretty sure it was at least 24 hours after I updated my profile that I made the bookings so maybe it takes a few days for things to sync up.

Anyway, point being that I was checked in and didn't have precheck on my BP but a quick phone call fixed it so it can be done.
Your KTN is stored in a segment within your RR account (assuming you have a RR account). If you add the KTN to your RR account with existing future reservations sitting in your account, you will not automatically receive PRE unless you call-in as you did.

The process on SWA's end consists of removing and re-adding your RR account number from each existing reservation. The requesting/receiving of the PRE "approved" flag on your reservation(s) is transactional...that is as soon as a reservation is created (containing a KTN), SWA kicks-off an inquiry to the TSA with your pedigree info and associated KTN. The response (yes/no) returns essentially real-time and your reservation is updated accordingly.

The is no batch process (i.e., "taking 24 hours" or whatever) involved.
Old May 31, 2016, 2:13 pm

Programs: Southwest A+/CP, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
The first reservation I made after getting GE/Precheck, I made sure my KTN was in my profile, etc.

I'll second this. I did the same thing for my wife the other week. She had already been checked in, no A-list, etc, I called and gave them the number and they said ok go re-issue your boarding pass. Precheck was there, and no change in boarding number. This was around T-23 before her flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.