Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A-List flying w/ family

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2016, 9:15 am
Original Poster

A-List flying w/ family

New to WN A-List, an still trying to figure out how to take advantage of it when traveling with wife an kids. The only benefit of A-List when traveling with my family of 4 seems to be priority check-in (when available) and priority TSA line (when available). Priority boarding is neutralized...the benefit is actually removed by having to board with the higher boarding numbers my family usually gets. I don't even get treated any nicer by WN personnel for being a frequent flyer, we just get shuffled into line like everybody else.

For those who have A-List for business travel and fly occasionally with your family - any tips on how to get value out of status to benefit the whole family?
Old May 16, 2016, 9:22 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
You're A-List, not the rest of your family. Not sure how they would be able to benefit from your status.
Old May 16, 2016, 9:31 am

A-List benefits you, not your traveling companions.
Old May 16, 2016, 10:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ssk1127

For those who have A-List for business travel and fly occasionally with your family - any tips on how to get value out of status to benefit the whole family?
Yeah, they need to make A-list themselves, by buying tickets.

A list is for the person who buys the tickets, not for their family.
Old May 16, 2016, 10:11 am

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
I agree with the other posters about A list status being yours only-but you don't say the ages of your kids. If they are ticketed and utilizing car seats on board, you can board in your own boarding position and at least take the seat on with you. You would be able to install the seat before the little one boards with mom at family boarding(if the kids are young enough) and at least ensure that you have 2 seats together.

If the kids are older, it may be tough to board later with them and expect to find 4 seats together.
Old May 16, 2016, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by smmrfld
A-List benefits you, not your traveling companions.
Wn is waaaay behind all competition in that regard. Bizarre.

Whats the age cutoff for family boarding anyways?
Old May 16, 2016, 10:23 am

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by azepine00
Wn is waaaay behind all competition in that regard. Bizarre.

Whats the age cutoff for family boarding anyways?
Officially it's 6 and under
Old May 16, 2016, 12:53 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
My solution to this is to direct Ms. alggag to head straight for the security line while I use my A-list privilege to check her bags and catch up later.
Old May 16, 2016, 12:53 pm

I don't even get treated any nicer by WN personnel for being a frequent flyer, we just get shuffled into line like everybody else.
You get the benefits that you earned. Your family doesn't get those benefits because they didn't earn them.

How is this confusing to you?
Old May 16, 2016, 1:05 pm

Sadly, Southwest, unlike other carriers, doesn't extend it's elite status benefits to companions or families, even when traveling together. In fact, Southwest recommends that their elites give up some benefits if they wish to board together.

For comparison:

Specific elite benefits that extend to families:

American extends elite status benefits to family members in the following ways:
  • Systemwide upgrades are valid for any passenger. You can give them to anyone, even if you’re not traveling with them.
  • 500 mile upgrades can be used to upgrade multiple companions traveling together, but only one companion traveling with you on the same flight will be able to use 500-mile upgrades.
  • Main Cabin Extra seat upgrades are available for up to eight companions traveling together.
  • Preferred seats are available to travelers on the same reservation.

Delta offers the following Medallion benefits that extend to families:
  • Medallion Complimentary Upgrades are offered to companions, but only for paid tickets, not mileage awards or pay-with-miles tickets. Even then, companion upgrades are only offered within 24 hours of departure, and are based on the fare class purchased.
  • Complimentary Preferred seats are offered to companions of those with elite status.
  • Economy Comfort seats are offered to companions of those with elite status.
  • System Wide, Global, and Regional upgrade certificates can be used for the named Medallion member and up to one travel companion on the same reservation; each companion requires the use of a separate certificate.
  • SkyClub day passes are transferable, as are Delta Gift cards.
  • Gifting Medallion status is a key benefit that Platinum and Diamond Medallion members can offer a family member.
  • The Crossover Rewards partnership with Starwood hotels has obvious benefits for families traveling together who receive the equivalent of SPG Gold status.

United offers the following Premier benefits that extend to families:
  • Economy Plus seating is available to Premier Silver and Gold members as well as one companion, while Premier Platinum and 1K members can extend this benefit to up to eight others traveling together.
  • MileagePlus Upgrade Awards, Global Premier Upgrades, and Regional Premier Upgrades can be used by others even when not traveling with the elite member.
  • Complimentary upgrades are available for one companion not traveling on an award ticket.
  • The United-Marriott partnership RewardsPlus offers Marriott Gold status to United MileagePlus Gold elites and higher, and the whole family can enjoy these benefits when staying together at Marriott properties.

Alaska offers the following benefits to families:
  • Complimentary upgrades: MVP Gold and Gold 75K members may upgrade one companion traveling with them on the same flight and booked in the same class of service. Travelers can even link two separate reservations and then request a companion upgrade.
  • MVP Gold Guest Upgrades are given to MVP Gold members to upgrade friends or family members who are not traveling with them, or for their own immediate upgrade when not purchasing a qualifying fare.
  • Checked bag fee waivers for elite members apply to those traveling on the same reservation.
  • MVP Gold 75K members can also extend MVP status to a friend or family member.
  • MVP Gold 75K members receive four lounge club passes annually that can be used by family members.

JetBlue offers passengers with Mosaic status and their companions two free checked bags instead of one.
Old May 16, 2016, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
New to WN A-List, an still trying to figure out how to take advantage of it when traveling with wife an kids. The only benefit of A-List when traveling with my family of 4 seems to be priority check-in (when available) and priority TSA line (when available). Priority boarding is neutralized...the benefit is actually removed by having to board with the higher boarding numbers my family usually gets. I don't even get treated any nicer by WN personnel for being a frequent flyer, we just get shuffled into line like everybody else.

Not to add insult to injury but your family cannot use the priority TSA line and I don't think they can use the priority check-in either. Again those are for the A-lister, not their family and traveling companions unless those travelers have earned A-list or buy a BS ticket.
Old May 17, 2016, 6:24 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Platinum; HH Diamond; SPG Gold; Hertz PC

When you earn A-List Preferred you can let them all enjoy your free wifi privileges.

I'm ALP and CP but that doesn't mean my wife gets special treatment except tagging along with free flights. I had her get TSA precheck because she can't use the flyby lane.

If you're only checking a few bags I echo a previous posters advice on sending the wife on ahead and using your status to check the bags in the priority lane.
Old May 17, 2016, 9:38 am

I'm sure I'll get blasted for this.

This is just another example of people trying to get something for nothing.

This is the present culture in our society... a sense of entitlement. Pretty sad.
Old May 17, 2016, 11:03 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by hiker72
I'm sure I'll get blasted for this.

This is just another example of people trying to get something for nothing.

This is the present culture in our society... a sense of entitlement. Pretty sad.
Not so sure that's really the case, at least not here. As noted by another poster, at least four other US based airlines extend benefits of some sort to traveling companions. So if you are new to WN, it's a fair question to ask.

WN's model just doesn't support extending the benefits. Some people like that and some don't and that's ok. I think there are pros and cons to WN's model just as there are to the other models.

I don't see the OP's question as a way to "get something for nothing", just a question as to how to best utilize and understand what the benefits are.
Old May 17, 2016, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by justhere

I don't see the OP's question as a way to "get something for nothing", just a question as to how to best utilize and understand what the benefits are.
Which is the point of FlyerTalk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.