Search

Southwest Airlines looking at Brazil

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2016, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Southwest Airlines looking at Brazil

It will happens. Southwest will have obtain authorization from DOT to fly to Brazil.

The company low US cost Southwest Airlines intends to obtain authorization to fly to Brazil, Argentina, Chile and Peru, revealed this week sources of commercial aviation in Latin America. After getting permission to fly between Houston Airport (USA) and Mexico, in March, the priority of the largest low cost company in the world is pointing now to the Latin American market, "which is at its peak," referred to newspaper specializing in travel and tourism 'Reportur' of Argentina.

This is Portuguese translate.
http://newsavia.com/southwest-airlin...s-brasileiros/

Let the speculation begin.
Old May 5, 2016, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Distant, economic meltdown, and a third language? Brazil is not happening.

Add my normal speculation thread comment of "with what frames?"
Old May 5, 2016, 7:21 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
I don't see it happening.
Old May 5, 2016, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Using what planes???? Unless they get authorization to stop and refuel (or stop and connect) in some country along the way, no 737s of any type can transport and reasonably number of passenger load from the US to Argentina or Chile.

So with all your plane rumors threads, where is the thread about Southwest considering a plane that actually exists that can fly all the way from the US to EZE or SCL???
Old May 5, 2016, 7:56 pm

Very unlikely.
Old May 6, 2016, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Using what planes???? Unless they get authorization to stop and refuel (or stop and connect) in some country along the way, no 737s of any type can transport and reasonably number of passenger load from the US to Argentina or Chile.

So with all your plane rumors threads, where is the thread about Southwest considering a plane that actually exists that can fly all the way from the US to EZE or SCL???
Ummm, ever heard of the KC-135? They could easily fly there (or anywhere really) once the 737MAX gets the air-to-air refueling system up and running.
wjm7733 likes this.
Old May 6, 2016, 10:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Lima would be in range. Everything else on that list, unless they have a hot interest in a northern Brazil airport I'm not thinking of, is well out of range.

While I'd love to see them fly to Lima, I'm not expecting it anytime soon.
Old May 6, 2016, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Could they not refill somewhere along the way to Brazil?

Does not sound like an attractive proposition, somehow.
Old May 6, 2016, 11:28 am

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Could they not refill somewhere along the way to Brazil?

Does not sound like an attractive proposition, somehow.
Conceivably possible via SJU but it just sounds like a non starter especially since B6 would be much better equipped to use SJU as a jumping off point to deep South America.
Old May 6, 2016, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Does Southwest overnight crew/aircraft outside the US? I haven't looked too deeply at the current international but those I've seen have been out and back same day. The duty day may be a greater limiting factor than theoretical aircraft range.
Old May 6, 2016, 5:11 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Originally Posted by Exiled in Express
Does Southwest overnight crew/aircraft outside the US? I haven't looked too deeply at the current international but those I've seen have been out and back same day. The duty day may be a greater limiting factor than theoretical aircraft range.
I know they do in both LIR and SJO. I flew back from LIR yesterday and overheard one of the pilots mentioning that the hotel they put them in is actually quite nice.

In LIR the flight from LAX stays overnight and in SJO the flight from HOU stays overnight. MEX also has a flight that departs first thing in the morning to HOU.
Old May 6, 2016, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
In my experience, South American flights still offer meal service - even US carriers - I do not see how WN would be competitive.
Old May 6, 2016, 7:36 pm

Programs: Avianca Brazil Diamond, Etihad Gold, Southwest CC Pass, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Old article from April 2015... So obviously nothing has happen yet.

Deep South America for WN is still far away. There are plenty of opportunities much closer in Central America, northern South America, Canada, Caribbean, and in the US.
Old May 6, 2016, 10:23 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by sdsearch

They'll use the planes they are not using for Hawaii service.
Old May 7, 2016, 2:53 am

In related news, I hear WN is purchasing ex-Delta 747-400s for this service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.