Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

flight attendant creates a homemade sign, blocks overhead bins

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2016, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Anyone ever see a sign like this? I was in the bulkhead row on a short-haul domestic flight yesterday. The flight attendant wouldn't let us use the overhead bins in the first two rows. The sign is inconsistent with Southwest branding (wrong font, no logo) and it was posted with scotch tape. It was clearly homemade.

Is this legit?

Old May 4, 2016, 10:06 am

Programs: MR PP & LT Plat, HH Diamond, WN A+ and CP, Avis First, National E+
I've seen those signs twice in the last few years. I typically choose an aisle seat in rows 2 or 3, so they were blocking space that I would have typically used for my roll aboard.

My assumption is that the FA was trying to save space for either crew bags or baggage for the folks who ended up in row 1. Pretty sure that it's just an isolated thing that this particular FA dreamed up to streamline the boarding process, not a company standard. The Scotch tape was my tip-off.

Last edited by ftnoob; May 5, 2016 at 1:46 pm Reason: Markup problem
Old May 4, 2016, 10:22 am

I'm pretty sure I've seen this on a flight before as well. Judging by your "FLL" user name and me being in TPA it's probably something localized to a crew that frequents those routes.

Last edited by ftnoob; May 5, 2016 at 1:47 pm Reason: Markup problem
Old May 4, 2016, 10:48 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
I am pretty sure I have too, really doesn't bother me too much
Old May 4, 2016, 10:59 am
Original Poster

My assumption is that the FA was trying to save space for either crew bags or baggage for the folks who ended up in row 1.
I was in row 1. The flight attendant sent a woman in my row to the back of the plane to stow her purse. Everyone in my family paid for Business Select to achieve early access to overhead bins. I was bummed.

Last edited by MattFLL; May 4, 2016 at 1:52 pm
Old May 4, 2016, 12:11 pm

Lack of branding and different font =/= "homemade".

I'm also not sure how the type of tape they used to affix the signs is any indication of anything at all, other than that that was probably the closest available roll of tape when they put the signs up.

This looks like something printed off probably at the office at the airport. I'm sure flight attendants aren't making homemade signs to bring to work. If you're unsure of why they are reserving the bins, why didn't you ask? Chances are they were reserved for some specific legitimate purpose, and a sign is a much more efficient way of communicating that to 200+ pax walking by than standing there and individually telling everyone.
Old May 4, 2016, 12:48 pm

FAs are working for days at a time and have carryon bags like the rest of us. They have to store them somewhere. If they put their bag in there, slap a sign on the bin and close the door, there is no reason for passengers to open it. I don't see a problem.
Old May 4, 2016, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

This looks like something printed off probably at the office at the airport. I'm sure flight attendants aren't making homemade signs to bring to work.
How are you sure? Is there something in this photo to suggest that it was printed in an airport office? Based on the photo, I can't tell if it was printed at home or in an airport office.

Chances are they were reserved for some specific legitimate purpose
Your use of the word "chances" is suggesting that it's more likely to be a legitimate reason than an illegitimate reason. You sound like a smart person who is looking at the photo objectively and not allowing the bias of your past experience to sway your conclusion. Why is it more likely to be a legitimate reason?
Old May 4, 2016, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NextTrip
FAs are working for days at a time and have carryon bags like the rest of us. They have to store them somewhere. If they put their bag in there, slap a sign on the bin and close the door, there is no reason for passengers to open it. I don't see a problem.
I love flight attendants and I think they deserve as many bins as they need. I just don't think they should use the forward-most bins. A passenger achieves the benefit of deplaning quickly when using those bins (including making a tight connection); there is no benefit to a flight attendant because they deplane last. Also, it takes space away from the bulkhead passengers who have the exclusive need to stow everything--even their personal item.
Old May 4, 2016, 1:44 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by MattFLL
Also, it takes space away from the bulkhead passengers who have the exclusive need to stow everything--even their personal item.
This is far and away the biggest annoyance and needs to be corrected. The few times I've sat there, this is quite the pain especially when you need to go into the back to stow something and have to fight your way back against incoming traffic - time consuming for all. Don't FA's have closets for their stuff?
Old May 4, 2016, 3:16 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by MattFLL
I love flight attendants and I think they deserve as many bins as they need. I just don't think they should use the forward-most bins.
Agreed. They normally use the rearmost bins.
Old May 4, 2016, 3:42 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by nsx
Agreed. They normally use the rearmost bins.
I've definitely seen crew tags on bags in the rearmost bins when visiting the rear bathroom as a thru passenger. What make this crew so special? Especially if plying the FLL / TPA areas abound with the elderly and wheelchair users clustered in the first rows.
Old May 4, 2016, 3:55 pm

I've seen these signs before. In my experience, crew almost always use those bins; even without a sign they are often full and already closed upon boarding.

Except in the case of a tight connection, I've never quite understood the appeal of the bulkhead seats. Yes there is greater legroom, but there is also no under seat storage, the armrests are bulkier due to the integrated tray tables, and you'll almost certainly have a completely full row -- often with someone on the aisle who pre-boarded and may be difficult to maneuver around if you need to get up mid-flight. Plus the lack of overhead bin space.
Old May 4, 2016, 4:21 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
1A on International flights are often blocked off for the crew...now I take 3A..
Old May 4, 2016, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by joshua362
...Don't FA's have closets for their stuff?
No, not on SWA jets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.