Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Improved Wi-Fi performance lately

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2016, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by nsx
I haven't flown another airline than WN for a domestic trip in a couple years, and that was a 4500 point next day booking using Avios.

Apparently I've been getting a subset of WN aircraft with high-performance WiFi.
I wonder if there's a beneficial malfunction involved -- since WN specifically says that they block Netflix.

In order to provide a top-notch WiFi experience, we limit access to certain high bandwidth applications and websites, including Netflix, HBO Go, and VoIP
And/or if your Netflix access is negatively affecting other passenger's internet performance.

Last edited by ursine1; Mar 25, 2016 at 3:07 am
Old Mar 25, 2016, 6:50 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by ursine1
And/or if your Netflix access is negatively affecting other passenger's internet performance.
I was able to browse in other windows at the same time with very good response speed, so I think not.

ETA: It's possible that my aircraft's Wifi was hampering the ability of other aircraft's Wifi to perform well.

Last edited by nsx; Mar 25, 2016 at 7:33 am
Old Mar 25, 2016, 7:37 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by dlaue
Aboard 4467. Still not working. Tried your trick, but no dice. Paid $8.😡
Got a promise of a refund of $8.
A+ logon working today.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 8:16 am

Programs: SWA RR BIS 6.2M, A+'20, CP'20, AA, UA Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
06:40 SJC->BUR this morning. A+ Wifi login worked, performance marginal. I've had slower on SW flights before and this isn't by any stretch "fast/speedy".

Number of people on this flight to gauge usage- about 35.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
I was able to browse in other windows at the same time with very good response speed, so I think not.

ETA: It's possible that my aircraft's Wifi was hampering the ability of other aircraft's Wifi to perform well.
By "wifi" I assume you mean internet connectivity?

My point is that there is limited bandwidth, and streaming video uses a lot of it, reducing what is available for other passengers. Whether on your plane or a different plane -- it's unclear how the technical limitations of the system play out in reality. Which is why streaming video is supposed to be blocked.

If the block isn't working, and many people are streaming, it could be a factor in why so many others have lousy performance.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 3:33 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by ursine1
By "wifi" I assume you mean internet connectivity?
Correct. I had no problem loading gmail or flyertalk or other web pages while watching the video in a small window (sized down so I could use other windows). It was literally as if I weren't doing anything but normal web browsing.

If the video had become choppy that would have told me that the connection was overloaded. (Video certainly would not get priority over other web traffic on the aircraft.)
Old Mar 28, 2016, 7:19 am

Programs: Iberia Platino,15x Southwest Companion Pass/ Hilton LT Diamond/ Hertz PC, OWEmerald; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dlaue
The performance has been marginally improved in the last few months until last Saturday, a very heavy travel day. On Saturday I was unable to log into the A+ free wifi. Like smmrfld above, the system just kept looping me back to the main login screen. I had experienced this before, but not in the last 6 months or so.

Tomorrow I fly LAX to MCO and if the A+ wifi is not working, I will pay the $8 and ask for a refund.

It is my belief that the system shuts off the A+ login option when it is overloaded with paying customers.
i agree with you on the wifi. on a flight from MCI to MDW the "connect for free" would not work.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 7:46 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Wifi was about the fastest it's ever been for me yesterday OAK-CMH. Nearly full flight.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 9:02 am

Programs: LTP, PP
I've been saying this since day one, the only thing consistent about the wifi is that it's consistently inconsistent from one flight to the next and one hour to the next hour...
Old Mar 28, 2016, 11:05 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
This would be a relief if true. The WN wifi I used two months ago made Gogo look like my home internet
Old Mar 31, 2016, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by mek17
I've had this same issue. What I've found is that it appears the "getconnected" landing URL is housed locally on the plane, so it loads quickly. This includes the page where you enter payment info. However, the A+ login page appears to be housed elsewhere (on a server somewhere not on the plane) and therefore does not always load properly when the internet connection (as opposed to the local wifi connection) is acting up. I believe the A+ login page simply adds your MAC address to a list for the day. I have had success on my phone and iPad by disconnecting from the plane's wifi, going to the A+ login page using my cellular connection (AT&T in my case), and logging in. This seems to register the MAC address on the list. Then, I reconnect to the plane's wifi and am able to access the internet--to the extent it is working, which is usually not very well.

Obviously this approach would not work if you are using a laptop, iPad, or other device without a cellular connection. But it has worked for me a few times when I kept getting looped back to the landing page when trying to log in via the plane's wifi.

That's super interesting, and not exactly logical.

Typically a network where access is granted via MAC uses the MAC of the network adapter that attached to the network. When you log in via cellular, you're using your cellular radio "network adapter", so it shouldn't pick up the WiFi MAC. Perhaps Android/IOS has some kind of call that can deliver the WiFi MAC when requested by an external source?

Either way, good tip. It seems the number one impediment to getting online when WN wifi is "broke" is getting the free A+ page to load, even though the paid page loads JUST FINE and both would actually require external validation. Conspiracy!
Old Apr 2, 2016, 1:30 pm

Programs: WN A-List, CP; Hyatt Diamond
I had wifi on, was working well, had on my headphones with Pandora playing....

My wife had recently played with my Sprint iPhone and turned on the voice WIFI feature. I was shocked when my BOSE headphones started ringing and I looked at my phone to see someone calling me. I answered, had about a 5 minute conversation with them then hung up...

I had never talked on the phone on a plane before. I probably wouldn't make a habit as I am sure it could be distracting to others... I found it novel to say the least.
Old May 25, 2016, 4:42 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
RDU-HOU this morning. Paid for Wifi which worked for the first 20 minutes of the flight. Then, it stopped working for the next 15 minutes (Network disappeared from the list of Wifi connections on both my laptop and phone). When the network reappeared I had to pay again. I've Tweeted WN who says I can expect a refund within 30 days. Definitely disappointing.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 2:52 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
I use wifi from LAS-HOU-PIT ($8 price for all day was not bad) but service speed was terrible and very spotty. By the end of the trip I was just watching the free TV because the Internet wasn't even usable for something like browsing flyertalk.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 4:26 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Here's a surprise to me--->

I had really lousy, almost nonexistent, service on a west coast flight departing at 9pm on a slow weekday. I cannot imagine that more than 1/3 of the WN fleet must have been in the air at that time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.