Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Can I "hold" a WGA fare with a points booking?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2016, 10:02 am
Original Poster

My family (me, my wife and parents) are going on a family vacation in June/July. It's a high-demand route. My wife and I are booked via the companion pass. However, my parents are still working toward the companion pass now and didn't want to lose the WGA fare, so I booked their flights with my account. Sure enough, WGA fares are no longer available for the flight that we want. Once my parents get the points and companion pass, if I cancel their flights from my account, will the WGA fares for 2 immediately repopulate into the inventory for them to book?
Old Feb 12, 2016, 10:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Marriott LT
No. That's not how revenue management works. You absolutely cannot count on two WGA opening up when you cancel. It's a function of time to flight and fare buckets. You'll have to keep checking and hope WGAs open up.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by palmetto86
No. That's not how revenue management works. You absolutely cannot count on two WGA opening up when you cancel. It's a function of time to flight and fare buckets. You'll have to keep checking and hope WGAs open up.
I see... so I'm stuck then. I won't be able to know for sure unless I cancel the existing reservations, and if I do that, I risk having WGA fares disappearing.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:06 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
You could call the 855 number and ask Customer Relations. They have the capability to book any trip at any price if there's a sufficient reason. Since Southwest would rather have cash than have you spend the points, I bet it will work.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nsx
You could call the 855 number and ask Customer Relations. They have the capability to book any trip at any price if there's a sufficient reason. Since Southwest would rather have cash than have you spend the points, I bet it will work.
Thanks for the suggestion, the plan is to cancel the current reservation for my parents under my account, then book with my parents-- with companion pass. They would lose money with what I want to do.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 2:50 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
You are overthinking this. Once your parent reaches CP status, they can book their companion a seat on that flight assuming that a seat is open regardless of who paid and how it was paid for. Once they book their companion, you can THEN cancel the WGA fare for the companion and keep the WGA fare for the CP holder. You do not want to cancel then try and book the CP, there is possibility of loosing the seat. The system will indeed allow two reservations under the same name for the same flight.

Same goes if you CP parent wants to book their flight on points. Book on points at current fare, book companion, THEN cancel the WGA fares to ensure they do not loose the seats.

Either way, the WGA fares are unlikely to return if they are already gone.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Marriott LT
Originally Posted by PAX62
Either way, the WGA fares are unlikely to return if they are already gone.
I disagree--specially if the flights are June/July as the OP said. WGA often open up in a 3-6 week sweet spot. There are numerous threads on this forum about refaring and how it's in your best interest to recheck your fares often.

Based on the dates, I'm assuming the OP is traveling near the 4th of July, so it's less probable, but definitely worth trying if the OP is a price-sensitive purchaser. As one datum, I refared my Thanksgiving travel a week before and realized significant savings.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PAX62
You are overthinking this. Once your parent reaches CP status, they can book their companion a seat on that flight assuming that a seat is open regardless of who paid and how it was paid for. Once they book their companion, you can THEN cancel the WGA fare for the companion and keep the WGA fare for the CP holder. You do not want to cancel then try and book the CP, there is possibility of loosing the seat. The system will indeed allow two reservations under the same name for the same flight.
The problem is that the WGA fares are no longer available. My question was whether or not 2 seats will become available when I cancel the ones I'm holding.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 8:57 pm

To add a companion, a seat just needs to be available -- it doesn't need to be at a certain fare. And it doesn't matter how the companion pass holder's seat is booked -- points, cash, etc. -- or who paid for it. Once your parent reaches CP status. just have them add the companion to the fare you've already booked for them. Then cancel that 2nd seat you were holding for the (now) companion. Since you've booked them on points, they can just "pay you back" at some future point by booking an equivalent fare for you using their points. You only need to cancel one booking, and you don't lose the WGA fare you have reserved.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ursine1
To add a companion, a seat just needs to be available -- it doesn't need to be at a certain fare. And it doesn't matter how the companion pass holder's seat is booked -- points, cash, etc. -- or who paid for it. Once your parent reaches CP status. just have them add the companion to the fare you've already booked for them. Then cancel that 2nd seat you were holding for the (now) companion. Since you've booked them on points, they can just "pay you back" at some future point by booking an equivalent fare for you using their points. You only need to cancel one booking, and you don't lose the WGA fare you have reserved.
Thanks! I thought the companion could only be added if the same fate was available. Good to learn otherwise!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.