Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Lister flying on Jan 1

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2015, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

A Lister flying on Jan 1

I am A List but won't be next year well not really more like disappointed that I haven't been able to fly Southwest much this year. Anyway, I have a one way flight booked on January 1st and on the confirmation screen it says A List beside my name but I am concerned that isn't really the case. Before I purchase EB, thought I would check in with the experts.

TIA and Happy Holidays!
Clay
Old Dec 16, 2015, 12:11 pm

You won't be A List come Jan. 1.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

That's what I figured....but was hoping it was a last minute Christmas present! Thanks!
Old Dec 16, 2015, 12:55 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List, AMC Stubs A-List, Chick-fil-A-List
In my experience the downgrade sweep doesn't happen immediately. Especially since your check-in is on Dec 31st I'd say the odds are overwhelmingly in your favor.

The website isn't smart enough to let you purchase EBCI for that flight until your status drops off anyway.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
As discussed in a different thread, you'll probably get your A-List boarding position because of the year-end lag in SWA resetting the elite systems. Typically Jan 2nd, 3rd or 4th seems to be the date when the downgrade takes effect.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Oh, so maybe a Christmas present after all!
Old Dec 16, 2015, 3:22 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
As others mentioned you will not be A list...but I would be willing to bet that with WN's crack IT system if you print your boarding pass on Dec 31st it will still say your are!
Old Dec 16, 2015, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PAX62
As others mentioned you will not be A list...but I would be willing to bet that with WN's crack IT system if you print your boarding pass on Dec 31st it will still say your are!
That will be my plan! Thanks!
Old Dec 16, 2015, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by FindAWay
As discussed in a different thread, you'll probably get your A-List boarding position because of the year-end lag in SWA resetting the elite systems. Typically Jan 2nd, 3rd or 4th seems to be the date when the downgrade takes effect.
Your boarding assignment will be 36 hours before the flight so you should sti;; have the status when that happens. depending on when you flight is it may be on December 30.

Plus this year New Years Day is on the weekend.

I'd guess the sweep will be late this year because there will be a lot of people out for the long holiday weekend.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

To close the loop, I was still Alist when I got my boarding pass on Dec 31st at T-22. I am not A list today on Jan 4th. Not sure when it went away.

Thanks to all for the responses.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 1:20 pm

To echo some previous comments, my wife's A-List preferred should have been expired as of Jan 1. We flew on Jan 3 (checkin Jan 2) and the system still treated her boarding pass as if she was A-list.

Unfortunately, the expiring companion pass did not meet the same fate and we weren't able to book me a free seat, though we did try!
Old Jan 4, 2016, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by Franklin7777
To echo some previous comments, my wife's A-List preferred should have been expired as of Jan 1. We flew on Jan 3 (checkin Jan 2) and the system still treated her boarding pass as if she was A-list.

Unfortunately, the expiring companion pass did not meet the same fate and we weren't able to book me a free seat, though we did try!
I was A-List last year but didn't requalify. To give a sense to timing of expiration for others:

I had a flight on 1/3/16 at 9:15am Eastern. I had A-List check-in and displayed on my BP.

I had a flight on 1/4/16 at 1:20pm Central. I did not have A-List check-in or displayed on my BP.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 9:55 pm

We flew January 2 at 6 AM, checked in January 1 at almot 6 AM. Both my wife's expired A-List Preferred and my expired A-List were recognized and we boarded. On the flight her free wi-fi was rejected.

Our boarding position should have been assigned at 6PM December 31.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:29 pm

I know someone who received comped A-List through April 2017, through a targeted promo, with no flight activity required. The status was to expire the end of April, if minimum number of revenue flights/tier qualifying points were not met by then.

The status expired the end of April, as the requirements were not met, but future travel, past April, was booked, prior to expiration of the status.

The flights are this month, and the BPs show A-List, including an A19 boarding number, without doing any online check-in. I would not have believed it, if I had not seen it, myself.

The current status is listed as "Member" under "My account."

Has anyone else had a similar experience, recently, since the switch over?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.