Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Need 3,000 Points by end of year! - Rocketmiles??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2015, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

I need to get 3000 more RR points before the year is up for a companion pass.. By the looks of it my easiest option is a rocketmiles hotel... how quick would i get the points? whats the latest date i should book by.

thanks!
Old Dec 3, 2015, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
I would do this ASAP.

Plenty of ways for this not to work out, so be prepared to do something else as a backup, like buy $1500 in WN GCs directly from WN, using a Rapid Rewards credit card.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 6:31 am

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Rocketmiles is easy, but I don't have any personal experience with the time it takes for their points to post.

Unless you get a definitive response as to Rocketmiles posting times, I would follow toomanybooks' recommendation if you have a RR Visa. I was going to recommend buying flowers, but I haven't done this since WN switched from Teleflora to 1-800-flowers so I don't know their posting times either.

In any case, whatever you choose, do it as soon as you possibly can!
Old Dec 4, 2015, 7:29 am

My recent experience with Rocketmiles was for AA miles, so I don't know how relevant it is, but: checked out on Wednesday, points in account the following Monday.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 9:06 pm

Or buy a beautiful suit at Nordstrom. They allow a refund when you return on an alternate credit card. Or is that considered cheating/illegal/immoral?
Old Dec 4, 2015, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by bonsai500
Or buy a beautiful suit at Nordstrom. They allow a refund when you return on an alternate credit card. Or is that considered cheating/illegal/immoral?
If they do, then they are in violation of the Visa and MasterCard merchant services agreements.

A store can make a refund to the card originally used, or as a store credit (or gift card), but not to a different credit card.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 5:46 am

I used Rocketmiles once this year and the points posted in 5 days. I'd still have a good backup plan though as I wouldn't want to bet my companion pass on it.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 9:13 am

Does Visa spending count toward EQM? I thought they only give 1500 EQM per $10K spending.

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
I would do this ASAP.

Plenty of ways for this not to work out, so be prepared to do something else as a backup, like buy $1500 in WN GCs directly from WN, using a Rapid Rewards credit card.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Just checked out this morning, hopefully i see the points this week!
Old Dec 6, 2015, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by John Wang
Does Visa spending count toward EQM? I thought they only give 1500 EQM per $10K spending.
There are 3 kinds of "points." OP is talking CP-qualifying, not Tier-qualifying.

WN Visa spend gives both redeemable points and CP-qualifying points. Double in both cases for spend with WN and partners.

It gives 1500 Tier-qualifying points toward A-List/Preferred per $10000 spend, up to 10x annually.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by ursine1
If they do, then they are in violation of the Visa and MasterCard merchant services agreements.

A store can make a refund to the card originally used, or as a store credit (or gift card), but not to a different credit card.
Agreements or not, Nordstrom has done this for years.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 11:52 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by smmrfld
Agreements or not, Nordstrom has done this for years.
Many others have as well. Generally enforced for security concerns, making sure the original purchaser gets back the funds. A little known (dirty) secret of the industry is that the 3% or so processing fee isn't refunded back with the refund so there is no unearned benefit to the not used original card.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 10:42 am

Hey frequent Rocketmiles user here. I usually see points post from a M-F hotel stay on the following Monday. Just had 4k drop this morning in fact. IMO you should book a couple nights stay to get your CP points needed. Good luck!
Old Dec 9, 2015, 5:08 am
Original Poster

the rocketmiles just hit my account. good thing i did this early. i did the sign up bonus of 3000 additonal points for your first time reservation. however, those points dont count towards companion...
Old Dec 9, 2015, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by chuckkD
Hey frequent Rocketmiles user here. I usually see points post from a M-F hotel stay on the following Monday. Just had 4k drop this morning in fact. IMO you should book a couple nights stay to get your CP points needed. Good luck!
Same here. Used it 3 or 4 times. Points have posted within 7 days of check out every time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.