Wiki Posts
Search

Line cutting

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2015, 7:47 pm

Programs: Global Entry, United Silver, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Wingrider
Evil- but impressive. ^
It works -- it really does. I got on a flight last year here at TUS and grabbed 1A. 1C was occupied by a woman with a surgical mask. The middle seat was never taken. Shortly before takeoff she took off the surgical mask and I asked her if she was feeling OK. Her response: "I feel fine, I put on the mask to discourage people from sitting next to me". It worked, but she had FAR more nerve than me. :-)
Old Nov 25, 2015, 9:04 am

Programs: none
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I thought I'd seen it all, but on a recent flight to Tampa I was scammed by the Archbishop of New Orleans.

I was A-26 standing in line to board. He asked my number. I replied I was A-26. He showed his BP as A27. His reponse was "close enough". Upon boarding he was able to snag the exit row asile seat I was angeling for.
You decided to let him go ahead of you, and now YOU are complaining that he did it? And that's his fault because.....?
Old Nov 25, 2015, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Yeah, little old ladies and skinny girls are good. Only because they take up less volume.

Try to invite them if you know the plane is full.
Then there is always the
, which is obviously on Southwest.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by flyerfmaz
4. Second choice is to find an aisle seat towards the front of the aircraft where the window seat is already taken and the overhead bins are full (after you put your bag up). Most people will pass that right on by. Nine times out of ten, when I do this, the middle seat is eventually taken by a nice little old lady without a carry-on to deal with.
5. None of the above may work.
5 is more realistic than 4 in my world. Planes are typically full, passengers forced to buy a new ticket from later flights end up filling in the last few middle seats. They are not only unhappy about having to pay more $$, now mad that there are only middle seats, no room for their carry-on, will have to hang around 30+ minutes in baggage claim - removing much of the benefit of the earlier flight.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
3.5 Play "Unite The Couple". Find people in window and aisle who are talking or looking as if they know each other. Ask for the middle seat. 90% of the time you will be offered a window or aisle seat.
Please don't try this with my wife and I. We not only refuse to take the middle seat, we intentionally speak across the person in the middle seat, pass items back and forth, "encouraging" them to find another seat. Same goes for full service carriers, where we are able to reserve seats in advance.

Only exception is on UA, when we pay for E+. FAs are VERY strict about limiting access to those who paid for E+, restrict movement - which is also why UA is toward the bottom of our list - just above WN.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by diver858
Please don't try this with my wife and I. We not only refuse to take the middle seat, we intentionally speak across the person in the middle seat, pass items back and forth, "encouraging" them to find another seat.
You must be quite proud of your childlike behavior.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 5:33 pm

Please don't try this with my wife and I. We not only refuse to take the middle seat, we intentionally speak across the person in the middle seat, pass items back and forth, "encouraging" them to find another seat. Same goes for full service carriers, where we are able to reserve seats in advance.
My my...aren't you guys a couple of peaches?
Old Nov 25, 2015, 6:08 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Please don't try this with my wife and I. We not only refuse to take the middle seat, we intentionally speak across the person in the middle seat, pass items back and forth, "encouraging" them to find another seat.
You are very, very lucky that you found each other.

So is the rest of the world.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager

Only exception is on UA, when we pay for E+. FAs are VERY strict about limiting access to those who paid for E+, restrict movement - which is also why UA is toward the bottom of our list - just above WN.
Since most flights are "completely full," you're willing to punish a person for picking the first open seat? I hope the kettle, who is likely to be who takes the seat, has some nasty farts for you two.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Allan38103
You decided to let him go ahead of you, and now YOU are complaining that he did it? And that's his fault because.....?
I'm not complaining. I'm well aware that no good deed goes unpunished. I'm reporting what happened. I thought it was amusing and thought others here would too.

Last edited by rsteinmetz70112; Nov 26, 2015 at 1:52 pm
Old Nov 26, 2015, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by smmrfld
You must be quite proud of your childlike behavior.
I can't take credit for the idea - it was all hers...
Old Nov 26, 2015, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Michael El
Since most flights are "completely full," you're willing to punish a person for picking the first open seat? I hope the kettle, who is likely to be who takes the seat, has some nasty farts for you two.
Happy Thanksgiving
Old Nov 28, 2015, 7:44 am

Programs: WN A-List, CP; Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerfmaz
After being nearly pinned to the wall a few times by a COS, here's my strategy:

1. Avoid the first row like the plague.
2. Getting on first is not really to your advantage. The A1 - A15 crowd are suckers for punishment because the aircraft is nearly empty and you have little to no choice as to who sits next to you, and you can't play the game.
3. First choice, although rare, is a row with a middle and window taken and your seatmate isn't a COS. You sit down, you're done, and life is good.
4. Second choice is to find an aisle seat towards the front of the aircraft where the window seat is already taken and the overhead bins are full (after you put your bag up). Most people will pass that right on by. Nine times out of ten, when I do this, the middle seat is eventually taken by a nice little old lady without a carry-on to deal with.
5. None of the above may work.
Why do you avoid the first row so much?

First row aisle is my seat of choice usually in a short haul at least and no laptop needs. If it's longer, I go for an exit...
Old Nov 28, 2015, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by troutmd
Why do you avoid the first row so much?

First row aisle is my seat of choice usually in a short haul at least and no laptop needs. If it's longer, I go for an exit...
I don't like the 1st row because I end up kicking the wall allthe time, plus I don't like the trays in the armrest.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 11:40 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I've read that seats in the first couple rows are narrower than regular rows. I'm certain that that seats in the last two rows are narrower.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.