Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Dallas Business Journal:Southwest Airlines pilot union leader resigns -- merger next?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dallas Business Journal:Southwest Airlines pilot union leader resigns -- merger next?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2015, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/ne...r-resigns.html

This is the first I have heard of a possible merger. Why am I not thrilled...
Old Nov 11, 2015, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA, WN, BA, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Southwest Merger?

Southwest finally finished their purchase of AirTran. JetBlue and Frontier are not good fits from an operational standpoint. What would be the benefit of buying either of them?
Old Nov 11, 2015, 7:36 pm

Programs: TrueBlue/Hawaiian Miles
A couple months ago there was a thread about a WN merger the linked article had Alaska, Hawaiian or JetBlue as the targets. Alaska would make the most sense imho-they've got the all 737 fleet, access to Hawaii(which I think WN has been trying to get into for a bit now) so there's one major and one minor thing that could be good for WN in that type of merger. Unless they ran JetBlue as its own brand, I don't think they would do it-when they bought AirTran, they dumped all the 717's and kept the 737's. B6 has all E190's and A320's so that would be an integration nightmare for a full merger.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 7:42 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Southwest Merger?

It would be a terrible day if WN were to merge with AS. AS would be ruined.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 5:38 am

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
The guys over on airliners really seem to be in love with the idea of WN + B6.

IMO this would be a terrible idea and I'm sure WN would find a way to screw it all up by throwing out everything B6 has done and trying to WN everything. Obviously I like WN but I don't see them maintaining stuff like Mint or being a Carribean powerhouse like B6 is. Why not do it the old fashioned way and start off with something like a partnership or codeshare* instead of jumping straight into the deep end of the pool. Just because they can doesn't mean they should.

* - I realize WN has their hands tied on codeshares because of pilot contract right now but they're still trying to work out a new contract.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 5:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Mint on WN?
Old Nov 12, 2015, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
As one of the best performing stocks recently, WN has a fairly cheap currency to burn.

I'd prefer they merge/codeshare with some airline that goes to Europe. Icelandic?
Old Nov 12, 2015, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by littlemookie
Southwest finally finished their purchase of AirTran. JetBlue and Frontier are not good fits from an operational standpoint. What would be the benefit of buying either of them?
Competitive reduction. WN would also benefit taking the large footprints in NYC, BOS, FLL, MCO, SJU and Carribean from JetBlue. It would be the most ambitious, while still possibly realistic merger. An unrealistic one would be Southwest merging with United.

Southwest buying JetBlue would eliminate somewhat a large enough LCC carrier in the US, that it wouldn't be positive for consumers. But the DOJ might actually approve it given the favoritism towards Southwest and LCCs, over the AA DL and UA.

JetBlue aside, could Southwest purchase Sun Country, or have interest to do so? It would be peanuts relative to JetBlue, and maybe easy from a regulatory approval angle, and integration would be easy. The benefits wouldn't be as big but there would be MSP gates and marketshare, the MSP-DCA flights. Would the LAX and maybe SFO gates be valuable too?
Old Nov 12, 2015, 7:36 am

Don't think the resignation has anything to do with a possible merger. It was the president and his negotiating team that negotiated the deal, presented it to the pilots, supported it, and then pilots resoundingly said no. It's typical for folks to step down at that point. Why the FA union president hasn't done so yet is beyond me.

As to the rumors, as others have said, Alaska makes more sense than any of the other possible candidates.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 8:06 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by beyondhere
JetBlue aside, could Southwest purchase Sun Country, or have interest to do so? It would be peanuts relative to JetBlue, and maybe easy from a regulatory approval angle, and integration would be easy. The benefits wouldn't be as big but there would be MSP gates and marketshare,
Southwest doesn't need MSP gates. They don't fully utilize the gates they have and there are unused gates available.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 8:10 am

Programs: TrueBlue/Hawaiian Miles
Originally Posted by alggag
The guys over on airliners really seem to be in love with the idea of WN + B6.

IMO this would be a terrible idea and I'm sure WN would find a way to screw it all up by throwing out everything B6 has done and trying to WN everything. Obviously I like WN but I don't see them maintaining stuff like Mint or being a Carribean powerhouse like B6 is. Why not do it the old fashioned way and start off with something like a partnership or codeshare* instead of jumping straight into the deep end of the pool. Just because they can doesn't mean they should.

* - I realize WN has their hands tied on codeshares because of pilot contract right now but they're still trying to work out a new contract.
+1 to the terrible idea-WN already has less legroom than b6 and even with the new fleet modifications B6 is carrying out, they'll STILL have the most legroom in coach. I fly B6 BECAUSE of these things and I avoid other "legacy" airlines like the plague since I have no status anywhere.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 8:14 am

It's SY and there are two reasons. 1). SY wants to sell and 2) Cuba.
Cuba is the one untapped market that no one flys to or dominates yet.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 9:32 am

AS has a higher market cap than B6, so WN might need to pay even more a premium to acquire it. AS fits better with 737 fleet, but with network, I think with DL growing in SEA and using it as a hub challenges the gains of WN acquiring AS for SEA.

I do think either acquisition of the two would be challenging.

From my viewpoint, I don't think Southwest views transcon flying very integral part of it's business. I counted 8 r/t transcons next may over 5 different route pairs on Southwest, all through WAS:
BWI-SEA (1x), BWI-OAK (1x), BWI-LAX (3x), BWI-SAN (2x) and IAD-SAN(1x).

That's pretty a low percentage relative to WN's entire network, and likely to what B6 does and maybe AS. B6 has about 8x daily on just one route pair (JFK-SFO). Would WN's level of service designed more for mid-hauls, work on those transcons, or WN slowly pull out of those markets giving it to competitors? The gains in BOS, like routes such as BOS-RDU, might be challenged by AA, DL or UA, and ULCCs also especially on BOS-BWI. The Carribean and Florida might be most easily integrated, although Southwest fares can't be purchased on OTAs.

Last edited by beyondhere; Nov 12, 2015 at 9:39 am
Old Nov 12, 2015, 11:30 am

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
It's SY and there are two reasons. 1). SY wants to sell
I really want it to be Sun Country. MSP quietly got BWI added in the last schedule and there are still holes in the WN route map (Texas, California, and maybe Vegas).

However I don't believe the union leadership resignation is a precursor to this. That seems to be standard practice when the membership rejects a contract.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Oh, God!! Not another merger again!!

No more merger any other airlines. They had enough already.

Gosh! What is heck going on??!?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.