Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Old-style RR round trip awards, speculation about expiry/reinstatement?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2015, 1:48 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist

These have always been able to be renewed after expiry with a fee, since inception, even though Southwest never officially acknowledged it.

Any ideas on whether it will happen this year? My email query to Southwest just got a form-letter non answer. I've got quite a few of these and don't really want to roll the dice on losing them. I was a little overzealous in turning points into awards.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 1:54 pm

According to an unfailingly reliable WN source, the days of renewing awards are gone. I would count on "use it or lose it" from now on. As with all similar issues, YMMV though.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 1:56 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'
Original Poster

I can't copy and paste it, but there is language about no reinstatements this time in the fine print,
Old Aug 23, 2015, 10:50 am

Pretty sure they want all of those old Standard Awards gone as soon as they can. Anyone who has one now created it after RR 2.0 started by transferring Airtran credits. In about 2 months the only ones still remaining will have been manfactured using seeds created for that purpose.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 11:10 am
Used to be 'Travelergcp'
Original Poster

Opening up the availability would be the nice way to get rid of them
Old Aug 27, 2015, 7:37 pm
dc2

Programs: Marriott: LTP
Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
Opening up the availability would be the nice way to get rid of them
^ I have found last minute availability for this weekend (different city-pairs than I originally planned), so I guess I won't have to worry about them expiring unused. I have been trying to book something since May!
That leaves 1- OW ticket that expires in May left.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 7:58 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by dc2
^ I have found last minute availability for this weekend (different city-pairs than I originally planned), so I guess I won't have to worry about them expiring unused. I have been trying to book something since May!
That leaves 1- OW ticket that expires in May left.
Yes, availability does seem to improve a bit in the last week before travel. A useful trick is to book the flight you want with points (or even cash) and swap for a standard award if and when you can.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.