Wiki Posts
Search

Taxes/Fees on Intl Award Nonrefundable?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2015, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Marriott LT
Taxes/Fees on Intl Award Nonrefundable?

Here's a new one for me. Tried to cancel an intl award on WN website. Points will refund, but it says the nearly $150 in taxes and fees will be held for future use? That doesn't happen on domestic awards.

Is this a glitch with different res system? Can I call into get this refunded? I'm particularly irked because the award tix aren't in my name, so I won't be able to use the funds.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 11:51 pm

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
I think but I am not sure that when I booked some intl award ticket awhile back that it said that if you change any part of the award reservation that the taxes and fees become non refundable credit. If you wanted them to stay refundable then you would have to cancel and then re-book. Did you change any part of your original international reservation? That's could have rendered it non refundable...
Old Jul 20, 2015, 9:16 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
It's probably something not yet automated between systems. (sharing credit card data between them)

Calling IMO seems reasonable since even security fees on Domestic flights will after all go back to your credit card. This amounts to a huge change fee. Especially since no one will likely use them. WN won't have to actually pay those taxes when not traveled just like Domestic security fees on a cancel.

That would be the International desk...

Last edited by traveller001; Jul 20, 2015 at 9:27 pm
Old Jul 21, 2015, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by palmetto86
Here's a new one for me. Tried to cancel an intl award on WN website. Points will refund, but it says the nearly $150 in taxes and fees will be held for future use? That doesn't happen on domestic awards.

Is this a glitch with different res system? Can I call into get this refunded? I'm particularly irked because the award tix aren't in my name, so I won't be able to use the funds.
I just cancelled a flight from STL to PUJ yesterday. My points refunded to my account and my taxes refunded back to my credit card. Is it possible you didn't select the refund option when you were cancelling? It defaulted to "hold for future use" when I cancelled so I had to select the refund option.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Marriott LT
I did, in fact, refare at some point during a SW sale. That's why I couldn't refund fees online. However, I cancelled online, and then called customer relations to get the refund. There isn't an option for intl CR, so I had to call the regular line, get connected, and then wait for 30 min to finally get someone that refunded.

PSA: cancel, don't change, intl itineraries if you will want a refund without waiting 30 min
Old Jul 22, 2015, 4:32 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
I've also noticed that the change option can be a little flaky for international. Sometimes you will get one price by searching a route via the regular book flight route then get something totally different when you try to change your existing reservation. So for the international stuff cancel a rebook fresh definitely seems to be the way to go.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 3:10 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
I warned folks on here last year about the 'any changes to an international itinerary make the trio non refundable' warning message. Looks like you were the first on Flyertalk to test this.

Whether it is a glitch or intentional, remember that the folks running WN's international reservations system will soon be adding all of WN's domestic flights
Old Jul 23, 2015, 4:53 am

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Originally Posted by expert7700
Whether it is a glitch or intentional, remember that the folks running WN's international reservations system will soon be adding all of WN's domestic flights
I really hope that a lot of the odd behavior is a side effect of running two systems simultaneously further complicated by the fact that the legacy domestic side barely works even on a good day.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 11:05 am

So, I was booking a intl award this morning and noticed that the fare rules says "Nonrefundable" and not "Nonrefundable unless paid by points" like it does for domestic flights.

is this something new or is it something that is along the lines of what you are talking about here? I want to have the option of cancelling if necessary.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 1:05 pm

Programs: Avianca Brazil Diamond, Etihad Gold, Southwest CC Pass, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by palmetto86
I did, in fact, refare at some point during a SW sale. That's why I couldn't refund fees online. However, I cancelled online, and then called customer relations to get the refund. There isn't an option for intl CR, so I had to call the regular line, get connected, and then wait for 30 min to finally get someone that refunded.

PSA: cancel, don't change, intl itineraries if you will want a refund without waiting 30 min
Similar problem for me. I refared an online intl trip by calling as it wouldn't let me change online. Now I canceled the flight and the taxes are considered non refundable. On top of that the website won't let use these funds on a new res with the same name. Weird time to call....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.