Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

FA contract approved by union executive board (but then rejected by 87% of FA's!)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA contract approved by union executive board (but then rejected by 87% of FA's!)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2015, 10:18 am

Doesn't voting close on the 25?
Old Jul 22, 2015, 10:52 am

Programs: Frequent Flyer
Originally Posted by IWannaGoWhereItsWarm.
You would be 100% correct. I am sure of it. Wow, have you seen the increase of signers and comments at the change.org linked above. It is really impressive! I'm wondering if their negotiating team is that terrible. I heard that they weren't elected into office either but began a false petition to oust the originally elected board illegally by lying to membership and coxing them into believing that they made the wrong choice. That is insane if I heard correctly!
This information is 100% INcorrect. The current board was elected by the majority of FA's. You are confusing this with another time when the board was ousted by a recall and backed up by the International Board. No coxing or false petitions needed. Check out lawsuits online to find correct info on who was in the wrong.

Voting closes 24th, results expected by 6pm that day.

--------------------------
My own opinion
Old Jul 22, 2015, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Of note: The voting closes the day after WN announces it's quarterly financials.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Eemraldskies
This information is 100% INcorrect. The current board was elected by the majority of FA's. You are confusing this with another time when the board was ousted by a recall and backed up by the International Board. No coxing or false petitions needed. Check out lawsuits online to find correct info on who was in the wrong.

Voting closes 24th, results expected by 6pm that day.

--------------------------
My own opinion

My bad. I should have explained how they got there in the first place. But it is clear in what small circle you stand..This is neither the time nor place.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 2:13 pm

This does not look promising ...

http://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/n...eather-as.html
Old Jul 22, 2015, 6:43 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by mke9499
Nor this:

http://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/n...ch-how-it.html
Old Jul 23, 2015, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by mke9499
What do FA's make at other airlines along with benefits? If WN FA's are making less than their counterparts at other airlines, coupled with record profits, I'd vote no if I were them.

As for the pilots, it was my understanding (and this might have been true five years ago) that Southwest pilots were the highest paid when it comes to domestic, narrow-bodies. Part of that was the bankruptcies that allowed the legacies to cancel their contracts and start over. Looking at some recent pay charts it appears Southwest pilots are generally paid below comparable pilots at DL, UA, and AA. Wonder how that happened. Of course, there could be benefits and perks at WN that even things out.

Either way, it looks like WN is going to have pay more for labor (as pointed out numerous other times on this site). If they can't keep their fares in check against other airlines after paying more for labor, then where is the money going?
Old Jul 23, 2015, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by texashoser
What do FA's make at other airlines along with benefits? If WN FA's are making less than their counterparts at other airlines, coupled with record profits, I'd vote no if I were them.

As for the pilots, it was my understanding (and this might have been true five years ago) that Southwest pilots were the highest paid when it comes to domestic, narrow-bodies. Part of that was the bankruptcies that allowed the legacies to cancel their contracts and start over. Looking at some recent pay charts it appears Southwest pilots are generally paid below comparable pilots at DL, UA, and AA. Wonder how that happened. Of course, there could be benefits and perks at WN that even things out.

Either way, it looks like WN is going to have pay more for labor (as pointed out numerous other times on this site). If they can't keep their fares in check against other airlines after paying more for labor, then where is the money going?
Money isn't always the issue. Southwest can afford to pay their front line more, there is no question about it. But, it is often about the quality of life that is an issue-and the company is trying to make sure that they get more out of a workforce that is already stretched thin and working beyond what they ever signed up for.

Often times the public is really only interested in the financials or believe that that is the only sticking point when there is much more to it. The devil is in the details, and when you fly for literally 50% of your life, it's important to make sure that you are able to do so and maintain your health and family.

Quality of life cannot be bought.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 7:45 pm

Programs: Frequent Flyer
It is important to keep fiction out of the equation.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by Eemraldskies
It is important to keep fiction out of the equation.
Tell that to the Wizard.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by IWannaGoWhereItsWarm.
Money isn't always the issue. Southwest can afford to pay their front line more, there is no question about it. But, it is often about the quality of life that is an issue-and the company is trying to make sure that they get more out of a workforce that is already stretched thin and working beyond what they ever signed up for.

Often times the public is really only interested in the financials or believe that that is the only sticking point when there is much more to it. The devil is in the details, and when you fly for literally 50% of your life, it's important to make sure that you are able to do so and maintain your health and family.

Quality of life cannot be bought.
Yet one wonders how the legacies got into the situation that caused them to file bankuptsy.

On the other hand according to Motley Fool Southwset FAs are paid on average substantially more than their major competatiors.

We'll see tomorrow whether the angst is shared by the rank and file.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 3:28 am

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Yet one wonders how the legacies got into the situation that caused them to file bankuptsy.

On the other hand according to Motley Fool Southwset FAs are paid on average substantially more than their major competatiors.

We'll see tomorrow whether the angst is shared by the rank and file.

The failed legacies went down a very different path. Pan Am was bleeding money all over the place in all areas. Excessive spending.. Same with most that actually sunk and the others merged. It was bound to be doomed in changing times. I really wouldn't say comparisons to those are not the same.

Yes today will be an interesting day.

Last edited by IWannaGoWhereItsWarm.; Jul 24, 2015 at 3:41 am
Old Jul 24, 2015, 3:31 am

dupe, trying to understand this forum system...sorry
Old Jul 24, 2015, 3:32 am

dupe--not used to this system
Old Jul 24, 2015, 5:39 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Pensions, to a lesser extent wages, and overcapacity putting downward pressure on fares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.