Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

"Within the 5s" - do you care? (boarding line up question)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Within the 5s" - do you care? (boarding line up question)

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2015, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
When I fly an airline with assigned seating, should I feel free to take any seat in my ticketed cabin of travel within 5 rows of my assigned seat because that is "close enough"? And, others shouldn't care or get "worked up" about it, right? j/k
Old May 21, 2015, 2:46 pm

Programs: WN 3 Million Miler, MR Lifetime Titanium, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, AA Silver, United never again
When I get A1 or A16 it is funny to watch folks line up in front of me as though I didn't exist. Maybe WN has an A15 1/2 space I just haven't seen yet.

Other than the first flight of the day it really isn't as important, but my response does depend if I have a 40 minute puddle jump or a cross country adventure on the Greyhound of the skies.
Old May 21, 2015, 4:10 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
I just board at the end of my group. For example, if I get A20 then I slip in at the tail end of A16-30 and if I get A45 I go in at the end of A31-60. I only care about getting a window seat so anywhere in A is sufficient.
Old May 21, 2015, 6:56 pm

Programs: Southwest A-list & Companion Pass, Enterprise, Hilton, Wyndham, etc
I would like to sit in an aisle seat in the front of the plane, so that I can get off the damn thing as quickly as possible. With A list, it's not a problem getting a seat in the first few rows, and it doesn't matter all that much to me if it's row 5, 6 or even 7. So I don't much care about my boarding position, get in line at the last possible minute, and don't sweat it if A20 is ahead of my A19.

But, my wife of 52 years INSISTS on sitting in the 2nd row from the back. She feels it's safer, closer to the bathroom, drinks, snacks and trash disposal. So we compromise: the 3rd row from the back is it. At least there's no problem with bin space or getting an aisle seat.

So, I really don't care if A20 is ahead of my A19.
Old May 21, 2015, 8:29 pm

Programs: none
Gotta side with my friends

Well, my experience is that some of my friends could care less about getting lined up correctly in the boarding area. Some of my friends are just the opposite. They could not care less.

Me, I gotta side with my friends on this one.
Old May 22, 2015, 5:15 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by alggag
I just board at the end of my group. For example, if I get A20 then I slip in at the tail end of A16-30 and if I get A45 I go in at the end of A31-60.
This. I've also noticed some people just love lines, and standing, as they'll be there at the stanchions, sometimes before the plane is even at the gate. Go figure.

The big problem with boarding at "A-30.5" (I'm usually A-22 or lower) is the B-X gate lice who also stand at "A-30.5" (it must be very important to be in place, apparently, even before the GA asks them to; see: "like 'lines and standing'" above). When they stop moving, I ask "A?", they go "No, B", I scowl and move past 'em
Old May 22, 2015, 5:55 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by Texas Booster
Maybe WN has an A15 1/2 space I just haven't seen yet.
No, it is A15 3/4. But that position is probably only in England.

If I have x3, I get in the middle of the poles. If I have x1 or x2, I get towards the front of the poles. If I have x4 or x5 I get towards the back of the poles. If you care, you are welcome to get in front of me.
Old May 22, 2015, 7:54 pm

Programs: Southwest | A-list preferred + CP || Marriott | Gold
Count me as someone who cares. If I have A16, you betcha I want first choice. I'll never forget the time I had A16 on a LAX-MDW flight, and as the GA called A16-30 this random guy who was milling around the line jumped ahead of me before I could even realize what happened. And OF COURSE he took the infinite legroom seat I wanted. It's poor manners and if you are that high you should know better. It doesn't matter to me as much when I have in the 20's-30's, but it sure grates on me when I have A16.
Old May 23, 2015, 4:08 am

Originally Posted by wetrat0
When I have A17, for instance, I just walk up to the "front" of the non-BS part of the line, and say something like "do you have A16?"
Sometimes that doesn't work. The other day I was A1, so I just went up and stood in front of an older gentleman, I glanced at his boarding pass and he was holding C22. No one stood between me and him while waiting to board, and there were definitely other BS passengers. I didn't see what happened after boarding started, but all I know is he was about the 10th to get on the plane. I don't think he was doing it intentionally, just didn't know the procedure, and FWIW I don't think the GA announced the boarding procedure.
Old May 23, 2015, 7:08 am

It matters to me....I pay extra for early bird boarding and I want the # I get. I'm tired of all the crap on Southwest. Between the early boarders that have a miraclous ability to walk when the flight is over, the seat savers and the line jumpers, I fly this airline less and less.
Old May 23, 2015, 8:56 am

Programs: WN A-List; Hyatt Diamond; Marriott Gold; National Executive
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
This. I've also noticed some people just love lines, and standing, as they'll be there at the stanchions, sometimes before the plane is even at the gate. Go figure.
I walk over and get in line as soon as I get to the gate. Sometimes, if I'm real early, I make a few laps around the concourse and watch the planes land/take-off and then go get in line. The boarding process probably won't start for another 15-20 minutes but I'm okay with that. I stand up there knowing that I'll be sitting down for the next 2-2.5 hours and I like blood flow. Rumor has it that blood flow is good for you. I'm sure that'll change next week with a new set of scientists state that it's overrated and we should all stop our blood from flowing. Damn scientists.
Old May 23, 2015, 11:42 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
It matters to me as I have five preferred seats. I was A33 last night and was able to get the Luv seat on a non-Devolve 300. Had A53 last week and still managed to grab one of my preferred seats.
Old May 23, 2015, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Clamqueen
It matters to me....I pay extra for early bird boarding and I want the # I get. I'm tired of all the crap on Southwest. Between the early boarders that have a miraclous ability to walk when the flight is over, the seat savers and the line jumpers, I fly this airline less and less.
And what airline (if any) are you flying more and more? WN has the most civilized, most gate-lice-free boarding of any airline in the USA. The issues you mention are endemic (except seat savers) everywhere.
Old May 23, 2015, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by BeanieTX
I walk over and get in line as soon as I get to the gate. Sometimes, if I'm real early, I make a few laps around the concourse and watch the planes land/take-off and then go get in line. The boarding process probably won't start for another 15-20 minutes but I'm okay with that. I stand up there knowing that I'll be sitting down for the next 2-2.5 hours and I like blood flow. Rumor has it that blood flow is good for you. I'm sure that'll change next week with a new set of scientists state that it's overrated and we should all stop our blood from flowing. Damn scientists.

Furthermore, there frequently remains no place to sit when one arrives at the gate.

As for the general theme of the posts here, I probably haven't flown a WN segment with an airtime of much over an hour in 15 to 20 years or so. As long as I have an aisle seat, preferably in the first half of the plane, and space for my single carry-on, I'm fine. I might think differently if I flew on long segments, and had particular favo(u)rite seats, seeing them disappear right before I had an opportunity to plop my poto in them.
Old May 23, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
If I have a high position that might get me an exit row I'll get my exact position.

If I'm in my usual high A/low B then I'll just go to the back of the group of five if everyone is already lined up. I always just take the first window I see and with my normal boarding spot I always get a window.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.