Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hassled in A-List line by SFO gate agent ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hassled in A-List line by SFO gate agent ...

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2015, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by FrigginConsultants
Everyone can have bad days, including Mike. My favorite part was "from this so called airport." Airplanes land there. Airplanes take off from there. What else would it be called? Maybe I should do some more around the world business trips so I understand what a real airport is.
That is actually a quote from Herb. In his day, he refused to allow LUV at SFO because of the near permanent delays related to the fog. Running LUV on time used to be a priority. I forget the exact list, but it *was* something like "Safe, on-time, friendly, don't lose the baggage". Herb had a more colorful way of saying it. Those days are gone.

Originally Posted by tusphotog
This board is sounding more and more like the UA board these days...
I actually looked up to the logo behind the agent when he snapped at me. That was EXACTLY my first thought. "S**t -- Did I accidentally go to the UA counter?" The interesting thing is that I also have Star Gold status, so I am in the top tier when I check in at UA. UA allows you to do this.

I'll add, just to annoy everybody here, that LUV is well on the way towards besting the sorry performance of UA in baggage, on time arrivals, cancellations, et al. This is a different airline than the one that used to win the triple crown.
Old May 20, 2015, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
LUV is well on the way towards besting the sorry performance of UA in baggage, on time arrivals, cancellations, et al. This is a different airline than the one that used to win the triple crown.
Sounds like it's best for all concerned - particularly WN staff - for you to find another carrier.
Old May 20, 2015, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by smmrfld
Sounds like it's best for all concerned - particularly WN staff - for you to find another carrier.
I sincerely wish I had that option, but if you are doing SAN<->SJC frequently, you really have no choice. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old May 20, 2015, 5:55 pm

I'll add, just to annoy everybody here, that LUV is well on the way towards besting the sorry performance of UA in baggage, on time arrivals, cancellations, et al. This is a different airline than the one that used to win the triple crown.
And your evidence for this claim would be?
Old May 20, 2015, 9:59 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I love this thread. Funniest in a while.

I make my wife check her own bag. She packed it, she can check it.

I also use the PreCheck line while she goes through the regular one.

I don't save her a seat. After sticking her in the yokel lines, I really don't think sitting next to her is a priority.
Old May 21, 2015, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
I agree with you here Mike. The change(s) started in 2008.
Old May 21, 2015, 7:02 pm

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by calguy77
Bart goes near OAK, not straight there. The wait and ride for the tram from BART to OAK can be mind numbing.
The bus? Or the new train? I thought the train was up and running already.
Old May 22, 2015, 11:08 am
Original Poster

LUV is well on the way towards besting the sorry performance of UA in baggage, on time arrivals, cancellations, et al. This is a different airline than the one that used to win the triple crown.
Originally Posted by texashoser
And your evidence for this claim would be?
THAT, is a fair and reasonable question, especially to me, a 25-year LUV customer that flies the airline frequently.

Let's start here: WSJ: The Best and Worst Airlines

LUV performance category by category:
- On-time arrivals: 2nd worst
- Cancelled flights: middle of the pack
- Extreme Delays: middle of the pack
- 2-hour tarmac delay: Best
- Mishandled Luggage: Worst
- Bumped passengers: Near the bottom
- Complaints: Best

(Actually, in 2014, LUV was dead last in on-time arrivals for three months, besting worst at everything UA.)

I think we can all agree that the category “2-hour tarmac delay” is not applicable to this ranking. It would be shocking if they were not best in this category. The most important category for LUV is ‘Complaints’. In all other categories they rank average to poor. The only positive here is that the friendliness instilled in the employees by the corporate culture means that when things go wrong, the customers are less likely to complain …. and remain as customers. And things are going wrong ... a lot. That is what made my experience with this snotty SFO gate agent so significant. If LUV gate agents are going to start demeaning A-List Preferred customers for insignificant violations of stupid policies, then the culture is changing. That …. is bad news. In the old days, Herb’s LUV would have reassigned this SFO agent to the back office.

Recent personal experience:

- My last 10 flights (Apr-May 2015), 8 have been late. In two instances, I barely, and only barely made the connection. Those were my only two flights with connections.

- The system wide lack of on-time performance has altered how I book my flights. I now pay close attention to the connection time and airport. In the old days, I never did this.

- I will reestablish my policy of avoiding the ‘so-called’ airport that is SFO for domestic travel. The gate agents are rude and the runways cannot be run on a schedule. I’ll go back to OAK, and its different set of problems (baggage!).

The elephant in the room is that this is no longer the 'low cost' airline. Without the free baggage alliance, I probably bolt to UA. How low is that?

Last edited by mike_la_jolla; Jun 2, 2015 at 5:00 am
Old May 22, 2015, 12:06 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Your comments about on-time performance doesn't really hold anymore. They made changes to the schedule and now are right in the middle of the pack for on-time performance. For March and April they were ahead of AA and UA and behind DL. February was a little worse, but not much.
Old May 22, 2015, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by lougord99
Your comments about on-time performance doesn't really hold anymore. They made changes to the schedule and now are right in the middle of the pack for on-time performance. For March and April they were ahead of AA and UA and behind DL. February was a little worse, but not much.
This exactly. I think when the final 2015 rankings are out, WN will be quite ahead of UA.
Old May 22, 2015, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lougord99
OK to paraphrase: "It got really,really,really bad but they are fixing it!" (?)

If so, sort of proves my point ... Reminds me of this Monty Python joke: "I got better"

Last edited by mike_la_jolla; May 22, 2015 at 3:10 pm
Old May 22, 2015, 3:19 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Yes it did get really, really, really bad and yes, they are fixing it.
Old May 22, 2015, 6:01 pm

Not sure I understand - they wouldn't let your wife check her bags with you in the priority lane at the ticket counter?

I took all my traveling companions (5 of us total) through on my "a-list"ness on the way to Bay to Breakers last weekend. What is the point of of a fly-by lane if only one person in the party can go through? Is that actually a rule?
Old May 26, 2015, 10:34 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
Originally Posted by lmaccaro
Not sure I understand - they wouldn't let your wife check her bags with you in the priority lane at the ticket counter?

I took all my traveling companions (5 of us total) through on my "a-list"ness on the way to Bay to Breakers last weekend. What is the point of of a fly-by lane if only one person in the party can go through? Is that actually a rule?
he did not say ticket counter, he said gate agent
Old May 26, 2015, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lmaccaro
Yep. You got that exactly correct. I remain puzzled and unrepentant in spite of the very gruesome shaming I have received here.

You belong in this thread, because you did something HORRIBLE and you SHOULD be PUBLICLY shamed here, as I have been. I was returning from B2B when I ran afoul of this rule and the nasty SFO ticket agent.

Apparently, you are NOT allowed to do ANYTHING on the fly-by lane unless the person you are flying with (wife, in my case) is (1) on the same confirmation code or (2) an A-Lister.

... Makes me wonder why I bother getting A-List Preferred status. It certainly isn't for the free wifi ...

Last edited by mike_la_jolla; May 26, 2015 at 2:25 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.