Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Newspaper: Southwest looking at possible PIT expansion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2015, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Why would Southwest look to make PIT a focus city? Is it nearing some sort of capacity at BWI? Or does it see something special at PIT? I'm a PIT cheerleader, but hard to imagine what it likes about PIT, other than a) lots of empty gates and b) being 200 mi closer to westward destinations than BWI.

http://www.post-gazette.com/business...s/201505010162

Dave Harvey, Southwest’s senior director of network planning, said the airline sees Pittsburgh as a potential focus city, perhaps not right away but in the future. “Without a doubt, there is upside potential to take our relationship to the next level,” he said, adding later it’s “just a matter of size and timing at this point.” ...

[Since 2005, Southwest's schedule] has jumped to 32 daily departures to 14 cities...

If Pittsburgh were to become a focus city, the airline would look to “round out” its portfolio, with service to the top 15 to 20 origin and destination markets, Mr. Harvey said. Whether Pittsburgh ever reaches that point depends on a number of factors, he noted, including the availability of equipment and local demand. The city, he said, is competing with other Southwest markets for service, and the airline will add flights in those places where it is most attractive to the bottom line.
Old May 12, 2015, 7:24 am

As someone that used to live in Pittsburgh I'm not a fan of this. I couldn't stand how far the airport was from downtown especially with traffic always being a nightmare.

Being in Columbus now (again) I'd be worried about most of Columbus' connecting flights being through PIT. I've never flown the route but I'm guessing it would be a very short, wasteful flight. I'd rather see Southwest "focus" on Columbus over Pittsburgh.
Old May 12, 2015, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ColumbusTraveler
As someone that used to live in Pittsburgh I'm not a fan of this. I couldn't stand how far the airport was from downtown especially with traffic always being a nightmare.
Southwest's decision about PIT won't have to do with PIT's distance from downtown.
Old May 12, 2015, 7:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
PIT is simply an airfield in a good location. WN isn't looking for O&D traffic any more than US did. Literally millions of US travelers who had been to PIT 100 times and Pittsburgh never.

The value of PIT is a large field with gates, OK-ish WX and little ATC issues in the surrounding area. Also likely that WN can get an amazing deal on leases and a tax break as right now the space is simply overhead.
Old May 12, 2015, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by flyallegheny
Southwest's decision about PIT won't have to do with PIT's distance from downtown.
Fair enough, like someone else said it probably has more to do with connecting flights than locals flying out.
Old May 12, 2015, 9:09 am

The article sounds like some PR with nothing definite, "maybe someday we'll make if a focus city". I wonder if they are negotiating something with the airport and this is a carrot.
Old May 12, 2015, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
The article sounds like some PR with nothing definite, "maybe someday we'll make if a focus city". I wonder if they are negotiating something with the airport and this is a carrot.
Good point. What would Southwest want from the airport, other than reduced fees? The airport just (lightly) renovated concourse A, which opened up a number of new gates for Southwest and United. (Not sure who paid for that.)
Old May 12, 2015, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by ColumbusTraveler

Being in Columbus now (again) I'd be worried about most of Columbus' connecting flights being through PIT. I've never flown the route but I'm guessing it would be a very short, wasteful flight. I'd rather see Southwest "focus" on Columbus over Pittsburgh.
A CMH-PIT nonstop on WN will never, ever happen, so rest easy.
Old May 13, 2015, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Did US Airways close PIT hub? Did they abandon PIT hub?
Old May 13, 2015, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by N830MH
Did US Airways close PIT hub? Did they abandon PIT hub?
Yes and yes...and that's been hashed out many times on FT. US closed the PIT hub because a) not enough O&D, b) too close to another hub, and c) operating costs at PIT too high.

PIT doesn't have much O&D because the region's economy is too small, not because PIT is too far from downtown Pittsburgh. In fact, PIT is awfully close to a number of wealthy, fast-growing suburbs.

WN may also have challenges (a) and (b), above, at PIT. But, again, PIT's distance from downtown ain't one of them.
Old May 13, 2015, 8:13 pm

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Good point. What would Southwest want from the airport, other than reduced fees? The airport just (lightly) renovated concourse A, which opened up a number of new gates for Southwest and United. (Not sure who paid for that.)
My experience in observing Southwest's airport selection methods is they spend a fair amount of time on metrics that might not seem important to a casual traveler. For instance, one of their chief criticisms of DFW versus DAL was the unusually long taxi time associated with DFW. 3 or 4x DAL.

PIT has suffered a serious decline in daily departures as US has reduced presence. I would imagine the airport would offer a sweetheart deal on landing fees, gate rentals, etc.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Because speculation is fun...

If this were to come to fruition, what are the next, say, 5 destinations that get added?

Today, there's: ATL, BNA, BWI, DEN, FLL, HOU, LAS, MDW, MCO, PHX, RSW, and TPA. DAL starts next month, and PBI is seasonal.

I think MKE tops the list of possible new destinations. (OneJet is already trying it.) Maybe BDL, STL, and RDU (which AA currently fly to). MCI, JAX, CHS are all possible. SAT/AUS/MSY seem less likely but possible. Anything north and east seems unlikely...BUF/ROC/ALB/ISP/PVD/MHT/PWM. Everyone in Pittsburgh would love to see WN restart PIT-PHL, but that ship has sailed. SAN/OAK/LAX/SEA seem like long shots. So does anything international. BOS is a slam dunk but only if AA blinks and trims its service on the route.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 8:38 pm

I think Southwest might need to increase frequencies on a few routes first. PIT-ATL at just 2x daily seems a little feeble against DL. AirTran used to have better frequency.

I did notice that in November, the ATL-PIT first departure moves to 8:30am which should help on ATL point of sale.

PHL-PIT restoration would be great but unlikely from WN. I think WN is too BWI focused while just wanting PHL as a spoke. Maybe DL could launch PHL-PIT. DL launched RDU-PHL after WN left the market. Fares aren't low but it provides a second choice to US. I have heard that Westinghouse and a few companies in Pittsburgh use Delta for their travel needs so I wonder how that affects WN's PIT-ATL also. It'd also be great if Frontier opened in PIT and even it flew 1x daily, the low fares would be welcome.

I don't think PIT as a WN focus is likely in general. I think PIT-BOS/LGA/DCA would also be necessary and I doubt WN would launch these flights. IND just got these three. CMH is getting DCA and BOS, and would likely be next to get LGA.

Last edited by rtalk25; Jul 6, 2015 at 8:46 pm
Old Jul 6, 2015, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rtalk25
I think Southwest might need to increase frequencies on a few routes first. PIT-ATL at just 2x daily seems a little feeble against DL. AirTran used to have better frequency.
I had no idea...I assumed it was 3-5x. I agree, WN should beef up PIT-ATL first.

The more I think about it, I think the most likely outcome in PIT is that AA decides to drop its oddball PIT-STL, -BOS, -BDL, and -RDU routes, and WN picks up some or all of them.

And, yes, Frontier 1x/day to anywhere would be great. I vote for a late afternoon arrival and departure from/to DEN.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 9:52 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Originally Posted by luckypierre
My experience in observing Southwest's airport selection methods is they spend a fair amount of time on metrics that might not seem important to a casual traveler. For instance, one of their chief criticisms of DFW versus DAL was the unusually long taxi time associated with DFW. 3 or 4x DAL
Interesting as that would explain the downsizing of ATL as well. A huge market that takes as long as 20 minutes to taxi during good weather. Scheduling 30 min minimum connects out of ATL well that's prone to failure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.