Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat saving

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2015, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Seat saving

An impressive example on the 9:20 BWI-DAL. Three exit row seats saved for late B group passengers by one guy. Getting the most out of his upgraded boarding position.
Old May 7, 2015, 7:38 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Delta Platinum Medallion, AAdvantage Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by txmikedc
An impressive example on the 9:20 BWI-DAL. Three exit row seats saved for late B group passengers by one guy. Getting the most out of his upgraded boarding position.
1. Did seeing this bother you?

// If yes to 1, please continue to 2.
// If no to 1, please continue to 3.

2. Respectfully inform the individual that this should not be done. Continue about your day.

3. Continue about your day.
Old May 7, 2015, 8:18 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
You can actually take one of those seats if you want
Old May 7, 2015, 8:34 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
I always take the seat, and when he says they are saved. I say thank you..,

Many times the guy gets up and moves...
Old May 7, 2015, 8:39 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Delta Platinum Medallion, AAdvantage Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by satman40
I always take the seat, and when he says they are saved. I say thank you..,

Many times the guy gets up and moves...
If I buy you a GoPro camera, will you share the video? I'd love to see this in action.
Old May 7, 2015, 9:43 am

Programs: WN A-List; Hyatt Diamond; Marriott Gold; National Executive
Originally Posted by Miami305
If I buy you a GoPro camera, will you share the video? I'd love to see this in action.
I'd pitch in for said GoPro as well. ^
Old May 7, 2015, 10:13 am

Programs: DL DM 0.4MM
On a trip to New Orleans, the boss/wife and I flew Southwest. I upgraded mine so I could save her a seat next to me. I didn't grab an exit row, but sat in a center seat, saving her the window. 20 passengers go by and a lady wanted the window seat, and told me I can't save it (which she was right I know). So I just switched to the window seat and said she could have the center seat. She passed. She took the window seat 3 rows behind me. When the wife arrived I gave her the window and I took the center again. In retrospect I should have just grabbed the window to begin with and the center seat would have been available by the time she got there.
Old May 7, 2015, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by jeffjohnvol
On a trip to New Orleans, the boss/wife and I flew Southwest. I upgraded mine so I could save her a seat next to me. I didn't grab an exit row, but sat in a center seat, saving her the window. 20 passengers go by and a lady wanted the window seat, and told me I can't save it (which she was right I know). So I just switched to the window seat and said she could have the center seat. She passed. She took the window seat 3 rows behind me. When the wife arrived I gave her the window and I took the center again. In retrospect I should have just grabbed the window to begin with and the center seat would have been available by the time she got there.
When I first read this, I made the mistake of assuming you were referring to your boss's wife, and wondered why you would sit in between them. Thought it was the start to a romance novel involving a workplace romance...
Old May 7, 2015, 11:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by jeffjohnvol
told me I can't save it (which she was right I know).
she was NOT right. WN has no prohibition on saving seats. WN has no official policy on saving seats.

This has been discussed a lot here (an example).
Old May 8, 2015, 8:54 am

Programs: AA Plat; HH Gold; Marriott Silver; UCLA Fan
If I see an unoccupied seat being saved that I want (like an exit row), I will take it and challenge the person trying to save the seat for someone who hasn't boarded yet. I can take any "open seat" according to Southwest policy and that means any unoccupied seat. That person can try to save the seat, but can't prevent someone else from taking it if that person insists on it. And I think any FA who clearly understands Southwest policy won't try to interfere.
Old May 8, 2015, 9:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by srk123
I can take any "open seat" according to Southwest policy and that means any unoccupied seat.
That is your interpretation; not WN's policy.

Technically, you can take "any available seat" (which is slightly different than any "open seat").
Originally Posted by srk123
That person can try to save the seat, but can't prevent someone else from taking it if that person insists on it. And I think any FA who clearly understands Southwest policy won't try to interfere.
Right - but the FA shouldn't interfere with that person trying to prevent you from taking it either given their policy of having no policy.

In practice, if someone sits in a middle seat to save the window, most folks will not physically climb over that person to get to the window seat (assuming they refuse to move out of their seat to let one get to the window seat).

Don't get me wrong - exit row seat saving is extremely selfish and no one should do it (generally...the only time I saw it and was not disgusted by the act was when a FA held the infinite legroom seat because a HS basketball team was flying and the FA held the seat for a 7-foot tall player).
Old May 8, 2015, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Sure would be nice if WN had a policy instead of no policy.

"You can save" or "You cannot save" or "You can save a middle behind the exit row" or whatever, but they should pick one.
Old May 8, 2015, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
I haven't made up my mind about seat saving but I would ask what is the point of enforcing the boarding order if you allow (even tacitly) seat saving? If I'm A1 and I'm traveling with someone who is C17 and I save them a seat, they are effectively A1a.

If you are not going to allow C17 to board with me at A1 but you are also not going to say anything about passengers saving seats, you are sending mixed messages to your customers.
Old May 8, 2015, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by justhere
I haven't made up my mind about seat saving but I would ask what is the point of enforcing the boarding order if you allow (even tacitly) seat saving? If I'm A1 and I'm traveling with someone who is C17 and I save them a seat, they are effectively A1a.

If you are not going to allow C17 to board with me at A1 but you are also not going to say anything about passengers saving seats, you are sending mixed messages to your customers.
Revenue.

The point of enforcing the boarding order is that many people are under the false assumption that seat saving is prohibited by WN or think it unfair to save seats and, thus, pay for EBCI/Upgraded Boarding for each member of their group (more $$ for WN)...if those folks were to see C17 being allowed to board with A1, then, they would likely buy only 1 EBCI/Upgraded Boarding.

Furthermore, even those who fully understand the rules may pay for EBCI/Upgraded Boarding for each member of a group in order to avoid a confrontation with someone who boards in-between the group that wants a seat being saved by a member of the group who boards early for a member of the same group boarding late.
Old May 8, 2015, 2:00 pm

Agree with everything FindAWay has said - what I can't figure out is why WN doesn't just make no seat saving an official policy? What do they have to gain from having no policy?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.