Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat saving

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2015, 2:07 pm

So basically its a free for all... cant wait until it turns into a bloodbath one day. CAGE MATCH
Old May 8, 2015, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by vacayseeker
Agree with everything FindAWay has said - what I can't figure out is why WN doesn't just make no seat saving an official policy? What do they have to gain from having no policy?
I've often wondered if the FA's object to having to resolve these disputes.
Old May 8, 2015, 2:55 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Seat saving is nothing more than a courtesy request (whether on an airplane, in a movie theater, or anywhere else), one which is usually accepted, but it depends on the circumstances.

So, if I am flying SW, I usually (but not always) grant someone who says "I would like to save this seat for my friend" the courtesy of looking for a different seat. But if that is the last desirable seat I might not agree to honor the request.
Old May 8, 2015, 2:59 pm

Programs: Southwest A-list & Companion Pass, Enterprise, Hilton, Wyndham, etc
Originally Posted by justhere
what is the point of enforcing the boarding order if you allow (even tacitly) seat saving? you are sending mixed messages to your customers.
Many times in human affairs ambiguity is the best course. For example, Queen Elizebeth I's response to the Spanish ambassador.
Old May 8, 2015, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by sbrower
Seat saving is nothing more than a courtesy request (whether on an airplane, in a movie theater, or anywhere else), one which is usually accepted, but it depends on the circumstances.

So, if I am flying SW, I usually (but not always) grant someone who says "I would like to save this seat for my friend" the courtesy of looking for a different seat. But if that is the last desirable seat I might not agree to honor the request.
THIS. Most people in most situations just move along; so, it rarely becomes a big issue.

Originally Posted by cloney
So basically its a free for all... cant wait until it turns into a bloodbath one day. CAGE MATCH
I think it would technically be a METAL TUBE MATCH.
Old May 8, 2015, 4:09 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Exit row big NO, any place else I can understand, early in his te game..

Late boarding, it is too bad..

I pay for early boarding also,and so can the one you are saving the seat for..

Depends on how I am answered.

Sorry
Old May 8, 2015, 8:18 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP
Originally Posted by satman40
Exit row big NO, any place else I can understand, early in his te game..

Late boarding, it is too bad..

I pay for early boarding also,and so can the one you are saving the seat for..

Depends on how I am answered.

Sorry
+1

I have no problem with people saving seats as long as a) you're not saving the exit row and b) your partner is not boarding late B or Cs. If your partner it too lazy to log in at t-24 and you're trying to hold a window or aisle for them, you're SOL. Let them sit alone.
Old May 8, 2015, 9:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Originally Posted by sbrower

Except the movie theater isn't monetizing the opportunity to have first pick of the seats.
Old May 8, 2015, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
What part of "Pick a seat, any seat. Aisle? Window? Front? Back? At Southwest, we let you sit where you like. We don’t assign seats on our flights, so feel free to sit in any available seat once you board the plane" don't you all understand?

Personally I don't mind if someone saves a non-exit row seat as long as I can grab in aisle seat.
Old May 8, 2015, 11:45 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Michael El
What part of "Pick a seat, any seat. Aisle? Window? Front? Back? At Southwest, we let you sit where you like. We don’t assign seats on our flights, so feel free to sit in any available seat once you board the plane" don't you all understand?

Personally I don't mind if someone saves a non-exit row seat as long as I can grab in aisle seat.
Well that's just it, isn't it? If I'm saving a seat for someone, it's not available for someone else to sit in.

And while I am really half-joking about that, what if I'm A1 and the person I'm traveling with is A2. We both board, take the 2 seats we want and at about A50, A2 decides to get up and go to the restroom. B9 comes along and wants A2's seat. Are they entitled to it because it is "available"?
Old May 9, 2015, 10:08 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Well that's just it, isn't it? If I'm saving a seat for someone, it's not available for someone else to sit in.

And while I am really half-joking about that, what if I'm A1 and the person I'm traveling with is A2. We both board, take the 2 seats we want and at about A50, A2 decides to get up and go to the restroom. B9 comes along and wants A2's seat. Are they entitled to it because it is "available"?
A2 gets super seats savers for him or herself because they have already boarded and claimed "their" available seat.
Old May 9, 2015, 10:39 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Michael El
A2 gets super seats savers for him or herself because they have already boarded and claimed "their" available seat.
I understand that. My point is what is the difference between that, (A1 and A2 boarding, A2 going to the restroom and A1 saving their seat) and A1 boarding and saving a seat for C17 and saying that their seatmate is in the restroom?
Old May 9, 2015, 10:42 am

Programs: SWA RR BIS 6.2M, A+'20, CP'20, AA, UA Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by satman40
I always take the seat, and when he says they are saved. I say thank you..,
*golfclap* for the answer.
Old May 10, 2015, 12:05 am

this sense of entitlement from some of the southwest's passengers (by saving / reserving seats) what turn me off from flying with southwest.

couple of times i spoke with the flight crews and pilots, they also mentioned the same

Last edited by fivenue; May 10, 2015 at 12:44 am
Old May 10, 2015, 3:59 am

Programs: AADULtArer
I understand that. My point is what is the difference between that, (A1 and A2 boarding, A2 going to the restroom and A1 saving their seat) and A1 boarding and saving a seat for C17 and saying that their seatmate is in the restroom?
Lying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.