Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest security warning: RR account recently hacked!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest security warning: RR account recently hacked!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2015, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Hoarding Anonymous
Angry Southwest security warning: RR account recently hacked!

Someone managed to take over my Rapid Rewards account and booked a flight + made a More Rewards redemption without my knowledge.

They didn't change my RR account password but did manage to change the email address and phone number on the account, which prevented me from getting email confirmations for the flights, redemption, etc. For what it's worth there's 0 chance my Gmail has been hacked due to password length, 2FA, and use of VPNs.

The most shocking piece of this saga is that Southwest does not have a security protocol in place that notifies the previous email address on an account when it's changed, and that is frankly a huge security hole. Another security hole is that upon logging into a SW account you can easily see someone's answers to their security questions (like passwords, they should only be changeable; never shown) and use the credit card(s) on file without typing in the 3-digit code.

I'm working with SW to get my points restored, but it sounds like they will probably not go after the perpetrator. Why, I have no idea... seems like a VERY easy case to prosecute given there was going to be a person showing up at a specific time to take a flight.

Anyway, I don't know if they discovered my password or ran a social hack by calling Southwest, but I wanted to put this datapoint out there as a warning!
Old Mar 30, 2015, 10:02 pm

Thank you for the information. Please let us know if and when Southwest makes it good.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 10:13 pm

If Southwest makes good. There have been reports of Southwest claiming no responsibility in these cases previously. To the OP: Good luck.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 5:52 am

Do you know how your RR account was hacked? Did they scam Southwest on the phone or guess the password?
Old Mar 31, 2015, 7:59 am

They did not even cancel the flights that this perpetrator booked?
Old Mar 31, 2015, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pirossalma
If it's a RT, they should let the perp complete half of it before confronting.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ursine1
If Southwest makes good. There have been reports of Southwest claiming no responsibility in these cases previously. To the OP: Good luck.
They refunded the miles used to book a flight. I'll have to wait 7-10 biz days for an investigation to complete for the "More Rewards" piece.

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Do you know how your RR account was hacked? Did they scam Southwest on the phone or guess the password?
No idea. Couldn't get any information from Southwest on how or when the change occurred.

Originally Posted by pirossalma
When she asked whether or not I wanted to cancel the flights to get a refund I told them I of course want my points, but would be willing to wait if it means catching the crook. Southwest's stance is that they don't prosecute these people, so they went ahead and cancelled the flights.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 9:03 am

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred and CP, Marriott Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by jcazes
When she asked whether or not I wanted to cancel the flights to get a refund I told them I of course want my points, but would be willing to wait if it means catching the crook. Southwest's stance is that they don't prosecute these people, so they went ahead and cancelled the flights.
Were you able to identify the person who did this? I would assume you could see the PNR for the reservation when you logged into your account, and maybe the person's name. If Southwest does not want to pursue it you could attempt to do so on your own.

Just because Southwest made you whole does not mean that this person did not wrong you. My guess is that you are not the only one this crook has done this to, and that local law enforcement may be interested in identifying information (and possibly information about where he/she will be at a certain time) even if Southwest is not.

Edit: Now that I think about it, given the high security surrounding air travel at a federal level, there may be a federal law enforcement agency interested in this information. I am not up to speed on all federal air travel regulations, but it would not surprise me if this sort of activity were considered a federal crime.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by mek17
Edit: Now that I think about it, given the high security surrounding air travel at a federal level, there may be a federal law enforcement agency interested in this information. I am not up to speed on all federal air travel regulations, but it would not surprise me if this sort of activity were considered a federal crime.
While Airlines like to talk about "Ticket Fraud" there isn't any compelling reason for the feds to want to pursue small time criminals over a few dollars, unless the person if flying on a false ID. I doubt they'd be interested.

Looking at the various statutes many things the airlines would take issue with are probably not a violation of federal law, including flying on someone else's ticket, unless you identified yourself as that person to TSA. Stealing someone's frequent flyer miles if far below that.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 9:41 am

Were you able to identify the person who did this? I would assume you could see the PNR for the reservation when you logged into your account, and maybe the person's name. If Southwest does not want to pursue it you could attempt to do so on your own.
Does Southwest show tickets purchased for someone else with your points in your RR account? Can you cancel those tickets yourself? I never checked.

I do know that under Airtran's old system they did show up in your A+ Rewards Account and you could access the reservation. On Southwest.com in your redemption history you can see the PNR redemption but no other information, so if you don't have a name you're outa luck.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Does Southwest show tickets purchased for someone else with your points in your RR account? Can you cancel those tickets yourself? I never checked.

I do know that under Airtran's old system they did show up in your A+ Rewards Account and you could access the reservation. On Southwest.com in your redemption history you can see the PNR redemption but no other information, so if you don't have a name you're outa luck.
Nope -- in my details I can see a confirmation # but no passenger information. Could not get Southwest to give me that information over the phone, either.

Just because Southwest made you whole does not mean that this person did not wrong you. My guess is that you are not the only one this crook has done this to, and that local law enforcement may be interested in identifying information (and possibly information about where he/she will be at a certain time) even if Southwest is not.

In digging through my email I DID find a cryptic email for a confirmation for the "More rewards" award, which shows that they booked (and already redeemed) a car rental with my points. I say cryptic because the original email was clipped and didn't contain any information until I expanded it (so I originally ignored it). There's a name and addressed tied to this, so I have a lead!

I emailed this to my local FBI office, though like others are speculating I doubt this will lead to anything. We'll see!
Old Mar 31, 2015, 1:33 pm

Is it just me or is this thread title missleading. Assumes wrong on part of WN. We don't know this. It could be OP using same password on other accounts, phishing etc. Thread suggests someone hacked into this one account. If it was a hack wouldn't there be multiple instance. How was the OP lucky enough to be the only one. Not saying OP has issues, but the title is very missleading.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 1:33 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Just checked to see my account wasn't hacked. I find it extraordinary that a major airline would not prosecute someone stealing from both them and their customers. I don't care what their reason is.... It's inexcusable.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MrMan
Is it just me or is this thread title missleading. Assumes wrong on part of WN. We don't know this. It could be OP using same password on other accounts, phishing etc. Thread suggests someone hacked into this one account. If it was a hack wouldn't there be multiple instance. How was the OP lucky enough to be the only one. Not saying OP has issues, but the title is very missleading.
It's clear you didn't read the thread or understand what a hack is because I already answered all of your questions. Hacking does not necessarily mean a breach of servers. It can be account specific, and it can be a physical hack or a social hack (i.e. perpetrator stealing my password somehow or calling Southwest and pretending to be me).

The problem is Southwest has several security issues I outlined above that led to this, and is the reason I created this thread.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 2:39 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
I am curious if you are A List Preferred, if you used the free wifi, and if you changed your password in the last few months.

As I understand it, the A List Preferred authentication page had two issues, one was that it sent passwords in plain text (visible to any network sniffer that happened to be running on the same flight), and second it allowed an unlimited # of attempts without locking out the account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.