Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Watching NFC Championship Game on SWA...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2015, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Question Watching NFC Championship Game on SWA...

Hi all,

I'm new here and I'm not sure where to post this but I hope you guys can help me.

My sisters and I are huge Packers fans and really want to see the NFC championship game this Sunday but, unfortunately, we will be on a flight to Florida. What is the best way to watch the game while in the air? Here's a little info that might be helpful:

-We are flying Southwest.
-We all have iPhones, iPads, and Macbooks.
-I have the Directv NFL Sunday Ticket package.

If we purchase Wifi on SWA, will we be able to stream it? Can we watch it on NFL Mobile if we have Verizon? Can we watch through Directv?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance!

-Julie
Old Jan 13, 2015, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Moving to the Southwest forum...welcome to Flyertalk!
Old Jan 13, 2015, 9:30 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
Yes it will be on one of the free broadcast channels

Although I hate that they won on a rouge call
Old Jan 13, 2015, 9:35 am

Programs: HH Gold, UAL SP, Marriott PL, National Excecutive Elite, SWA A+
If you are on a 700 or 800 series with Wi-Fi you'll be able to watch the game for no additional charge (other than the airfare) on any of your devices. The feed will be from the Fox NYC affiliate so you'll see a few local commercials, but other than that just like home.

If you are on a 300 (or a 500 series), your best bet would be to DVR it and try to stay in a cave like state away from any outside stimulation until you able to watch it as those planes have no Wi-Fi.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 9:54 am

Programs: WN:No status in 2015; UA:1K long gone (1995-2003).
Is the free Dish TV still being offered? I thought it ended 12/31/14.

- - - -

Edited to add: Per responses below, it is still available. I used this to watch an NHL playoff game on a Notebook PC last May; it worked fine that day.

Last edited by Nevada1K; Jan 13, 2015 at 10:35 am
Old Jan 13, 2015, 10:08 am

Programs: WN A-List; Hyatt Diamond; Marriott Gold; National Executive
Originally Posted by Nevada1K
I flew last week on a -700 DAL -> HOU and DishTV was still operational. Flew on a -500 back, no wifi.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Nevada1K
It's still showing on the website with no end date.

For those with Android devices I've found the Dolphin Browser works well.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 10:39 am

Programs: HH Gold, UAL SP, Marriott PL, National Excecutive Elite, SWA A+
Yes it is still active, but Chase is the new sponsor, no more kangaroo hopping around the ad before you can watch.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 5:02 pm

And for iOS devices you need to install the Onboard Player app.. Overall it works very well and TV is going from the time you get into the plane until you leave, might be important if they go into OT, just like their recent commercial!
Old Jan 14, 2015, 8:04 am

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
I watched the Seahawks/Panthers game last Saturday onboard on my iPhone. You don't need to install anything. Just connect to the wifi, then open your browser and the WN page will come up, where you can navigate to the TV channels. Then select FOX (it's the local NYC FOX station). All very easy. In fact, that was the first time I used WN's TV programming and I was overall pleased. Just make sure your device's battery is charged.

The feed was a litttle pixelated at times, but mostly clear. Audio was fine. If you can, rewind it 30 seconds to help the feed buffer more. That helped mine a lot.

You do not need to pay for the wifi to watch WN's TV service.

I wasn't the only one watching it, either. The whole plane went ballistic when Kam Chancellor ran back that pick six

Last edited by Lost; Jan 14, 2015 at 8:12 am
Old Jan 14, 2015, 10:02 am

Programs: WN A-List; Hyatt Diamond; Marriott Gold; National Executive
Originally Posted by Lost
I watched the Seahawks/Panthers game last Saturday onboard on my iPhone. You don't need to install anything. Just connect to the wifi, then open your browser and the WN page will come up, where you can navigate to the TV channels. Then select FOX (it's the local NYC FOX station). All very easy. In fact, that was the first time I used WN's TV programming and I was overall pleased. Just make sure your device's battery is charged.

The feed was a litttle pixelated at times, but mostly clear. Audio was fine. If you can, rewind it 30 seconds to help the feed buffer more. That helped mine a lot.

You do not need to pay for the wifi to watch WN's TV service.

I wasn't the only one watching it, either. The whole plane went ballistic when Kam Chancellor ran back that pick six
Were your cheers 30 seconds late?
Old Jan 14, 2015, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
You can definitely watch it...but I hope she hates the game...Go Hawks!

#WeAre12
Old Jan 14, 2015, 8:15 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Originally Posted by john398
Yes it will be on one of the free broadcast channels

Although I hate that they won on a rouge call
Everyone says the call was correct. Rules are rules.

Booth review on any score should have caught it... Guess the guys in the booth won't be at the Superbowl.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by traveller001
Everyone says the call was correct. Rules are rules.

Booth review on any score should have caught it... Guess the guys in the booth won't be at the Superbowl.

You can watch the game on your phone, no problem

It wasn't a scoring play, Bryant was marked down at the 1 and GB challenged it...... The reviews are now done in New York who work with the referee ( at the game) to get the best replay, the correct call and also speed up the process. The same guys in New York will be doing the Super Bowl.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/09/01/nfl-in...anges-mailbag/

That Rule makes little sense but it was the correct call.

Dallas should have been watching that game anyway, picking up the flag was a gift, not giving Bryant an unsportsmanlike for running on the field with his helmet off screaming at the refs was another gift.

Last edited by flyer4512; Jan 14, 2015 at 9:07 pm
Old Jan 15, 2015, 9:05 am

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Originally Posted by BeanieTX
Were your cheers 30 seconds late?
No; everyone was within a few seconds. I don't think I was the only one doing this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.