Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest limbo: confirmed reservation on a non-existing route

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2014, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HIlton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Southwest

Here's the deal. In November, I booked a mid-April weekday ISP-LAS trip with a stopover and plane change at BWI. Upon checking for any price changes on Monday, I got the dreaded Oops message stating that flights from ISP-LAS are not scheduled to operate that day (or any other weekday from April 7 to June 8, as it turns out). However, both segments of my trip are still on the schedule, so I have no idea if this is a glitch (if so, it's at least a four-day-old glitch) or if Southwest is again wreaking havoc with ISP passengers. Any suggestions on how to get out of Southwest limbo and get a definitive answer about my flight would be appreciated.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 5:27 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
I don't think anyone here is going to have the answers, did you call?

But as a fellow ISP sufferer, I had to take a look and its mind boggling.

They offer exactly 1 flight a day, a 2 stop 10+ hour journey. Except for Saturday's where then they offer up 4 more through FL cities. Despite many, many BWI-LAS options.

Then it all stops 4/6/15 with the Oops messages.

Its either a huge IT error or a concerted, anti marketing effort to discourage folks from using ISP for anything but direct flights to FL. They are down to so few BWI flights that decent or frequent connects are difficult. Perhaps they are purposely discouraging connects on destinations where cheaper fares are expected (like LAS) in order to exploit other destinations?

Maybe they are going all in at LGA, dam the horrible cramped Terminal B and inevitable delays, profits before passenger needs, I guess.

Last edited by joshua362; Dec 26, 2014 at 11:01 pm
Old Dec 26, 2014, 5:36 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
How long are layovers? If both segments are still there then perhaps they feel the connection is too short to sell.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

"How long are layovers? If both segments are still there then perhaps they feel the connection is too short to sell."

My layover at BWI was 1 hour, 35 minutes, so that's certainly not the issue.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 5:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - What did WN say when you called and asked? Isn't that the definitive answer.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 6:08 pm

Programs: WN:No status in 2015; UA:1K long gone (1995-2003).
Originally Posted by freebee
However, both segments of my trip are still on the schedule...
If both segments of your flight are still on the schedule, if it were me I would assume my reservations and flights are still good. Until such time as you get notice from WN otherwise... Of course, if that notice arrives two days before your scheduled departure, you are up a creek without a paddle.

As for the message stating that "flights from ISP-LAS are not scheduled to operate that day..." -- it would be my interpretation that for whatever reason, WN has decided not to sell any further tickets between ISP-LAS during the relevant time period.

Of course, my assumption/interpretation could be 100% wrong. If you go to your online account, are these flights still listed in your "Upcoming Trips? If not, I would call WN pronto to confirm my flights are good or what alternatives they propose.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

I did call, and the reservations agent had no answer for me except to say "I'll let Dallas know." But she assured me if there were a change to my original reservation, which is still listed in my upcoming trips, I would be called. Of course, she didn't say how fast that call would come.
I certainly hope this is not a concerted effort to steer ISP-LAS passengers to LGA with its disgusting terminal and frequent delays. Since there are no LGA-LAS non-stops, why would anyone fly Southwest to Vegas when you can fly non-stop from JFK -LAS on Delta or Jet Blue for a lower fare?
Old Dec 26, 2014, 8:53 pm

Just for kicks, I booked ISP-BWI-LAS on 4/8/15 for $209 using the round trip, same day option while doing it one-way gets the crazy Oops message. You might want to see if that works for you to refare a cheaper fare. This one leaves a 6:15a and gets in around noon.

They really make it hard to be a WN fan at times...

Last edited by joshua362; Dec 26, 2014 at 9:05 pm
Old Dec 26, 2014, 9:31 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Sounds like a WM holiday surprise courtesy of their idiots in IT.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are numerous legal connections on WN where they choose not to sell through tickets. This is not an IT issue. As long as the underlying flights are still there, your existing reservation is still good. WN has just decided there is more money to be made elsewhere on flights out of ISP rather than competing on low yield LAS fares with the many other players out of the NYC market. You can always build your own multi-city ticket on WN as an option. However, it's likely going to cost more than competitor's single ticket flights.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Finally reached customer service department whose rep said the elimination of ISP-LAS routing was a marketing decision, but I could keep my original flight reservation. Hope she's right and I don't get a surprise call telling me otherwise.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by freebee
Finally reached customer service department whose rep said the elimination of ISP-LAS routing was a marketing decision, but I could keep my original flight reservation. Hope she's right and I don't get a surprise call telling me otherwise.
And people don't believe ISP is being screwed! Although you have to wonder how a CSR would know. Yet you can build your own connection for $209 on a day I checked and 99% of people wouldn't think to do so!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.