Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat saving extreme

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: WN Rapid Rewards, Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by thebob6
I don't like to follow the rules so other people don't have to.
But that's the thing, they are following the rules. Southwest has explicitly said that it is okay for people to save seats for their traveling companions. (from the corporate response quoted earlier, "We don’t have a policy regarding saving seats, and it is acceptable for a Customer to "claim" a seat for someone...")

I don't understand how this is any different than any other event that is general admission. I wouldn't walk into a movie theater and demand to sit in a seat that someone was saving for their friend who hadn't arrived yet. Same for a concert or school event, etc.

There is one airline that doesn't offer assigned seating. If you don't like the way they do it you can fly any of the other airlines out there. It's not like you don't know in advance that there is not assigned seating, they don't spring it on you right as you board, so that should be included in your decision making process. Weigh flight times and non-stops and lack of assigned seating and make the decision that is right for you.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by thebob6
Not a chance I wouldn't move it and take the seat I wanted. Perhaps that makes me a mean person but I don't like to follow the rules so other people don't have to.
To which rules are you referring? WN states clearly that there are no rules re seat saving.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by normalone
But that's the thing, they are following the rules. Southwest has explicitly said that it is okay for people to save seats for their traveling companions. (from the corporate response quoted earlier, "We don’t have a policy regarding saving seats, and it is acceptable for a Customer to "claim" a seat for someone...")

I don't understand how this is any different than any other event that is general admission. I wouldn't walk into a movie theater and demand to sit in a seat that someone was saving for their friend who hadn't arrived yet. Same for a concert or school event, etc.

There is one airline that doesn't offer assigned seating. If you don't like the way they do it you can fly any of the other airlines out there. It's not like you don't know in advance that there is not assigned seating, they don't spring it on you right as you board, so that should be included in your decision making process. Weigh flight times and non-stops and lack of assigned seating and make the decision that is right for you.
That would be fine and dandy if WN didn't also monetize their boarding system, effectively selling access to preferred seats. As I've said previously, the two concepts work against each other. And WN's purposely ambiguous "policy" can be interpreted to support any position, thereby making those that sit in a "claimed" seat just as appropriate as those that save them.

If I paid a fee to enter a theater early, ahead of other people, sold to me under the promise of better seat selection, I would very well demand to sit in a seat that someone was saving if there was no person in that seat.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by smmrfld
To which rules are you referring? WN states clearly that there are no rules re seat saving.
Actually the policy is somewhat qualified. According to the response from Southwest quoted above

it is acceptable for a Customer to "claim" a seat for someone as long as the boarding process is not delayed and other Customers aren't inconvenienced.
Saving many seats would seem to me to both delay boarding or inconvenience other passengers.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Actually the policy is somewhat qualified. According to the response from Southwest quoted above

Saving many seats would seem to me to both delay boarding or inconvenience other passengers.
If you're going to quote something, at least try to be somewhat accurate. Or did you "accidentally" delete "We don’t have a policy regarding saving seats"?
Old Dec 10, 2014, 3:30 pm

If you're going to quote something, at least try to be somewhat accurate. Or did you "accidentally" delete "We don’t have a policy regarding saving seats"?
Huh? That quote is accurate. That language is, in fact, part of what is generally quoted by WN as their not-a-policy "policy."

Saying you don't have a policy, then going on to detail specifics of that "non-policy" is precisely the problem, which leads to multiple interpretations of the not-a-policy "policy."

If the official line is "we don't have a policy regarding saving seats" then someone taking a "claimed" but empty seat is identically as valid as someone saving that seat.

It's just stupid.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 3:56 pm

Hi -

If you do a search on my name and "seat saving", you will find an extended thread on this very topic.

I had to take on all sorts of apologists and thinly veiled ad hominem attacks from people that felt that WN could do no wrong.

I have been able to replace WN flying with other carriers that assign seats and provide a better travel experience at similar or lower cost, including free checked luggage.

I have gone from being CP on WN to taking one flight in 2014 while being top-tier elite on the other two carriers. It CAN be done - sever the connection and you will feel better for it.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
If the official line is "we don't have a policy regarding saving seats" then someone taking a "claimed" but empty seat is identically as valid as someone saving that seat.
Precisely. And the regular bouts of hand-wringing here haven't changed anything.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 7:03 pm

Hi -

Yes, hand wringing does nothing. So I just went elsewhere for my travel needs. I encourage other complainers to do the same - everyone will be better off.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 8:11 pm

WN states clearly that there are no rules re seat saving.
Perhaps if we bolded it for you....

"We don’t have a policy regarding saving seats, and it is acceptable for a Customer to "claim" a seat for someone as long as the boarding process is not delayed and other Customers aren't inconvenienced."
The "inconvenienced Customer" hypothetical is left open-ended.

WN's policy: Never climb a fence when you can sit on it.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by Orwaid
Hi -

Yes, hand wringing does nothing. So I just went elsewhere for my travel needs. I encourage other complainers to do the same - everyone will be better off.
You bet...terrific idea. How about giving me some high-frequency options for OAK-SNA.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 9:26 pm

Hi -

I would fly B6 OAK-LGB. Three flights a day.

If you usually rent a car in Orange County, then it's the same. If not, take the Metro Blue Line from Long Beach.

Last edited by Orwaid; Dec 10, 2014 at 9:39 pm
Old Dec 10, 2014, 9:39 pm

For the record, I dropped WN in favor of B6 and AS.

With them, I get most of my routes N/S on both the West Coast and East Coast. They also cover most TCON routes I need to fly. Finally, if I need to go from one coast to the other with a stop somewhere MidCon, I fly one into one city and the fly the other out of said city.

And being 75K on AS and Mosaic on B6 comes in handy too.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by Orwaid
Hi -

I would fly B6 OAK-LGB. Three flights a day.

If you usually rent a car in Orange County, then it's the same. If not, take the Metro Blue Line from Long Beach.
Not a chance. I flew B6 almost weekly until they left me stranded one too many times (the Valentine's Day massacre was the last straw), used up all my free flights and haven't been back. Great product I the air, but no depth to their schedule when things go wrong. Absolutely horrible memories of that awful carrier, tho LGB was hugely convenient.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 10:00 pm

We can agree to disagree on our travel choices. But you DID ask for an alternative and I gave you one.

You place a higher negative utility on the possibility of B6 irrops; i place a higher negative utility on the WN FFP and the overall WN flying experience, including but not limited to the hassles described in this thread

I would say the the former happens infrequently at B6 (or AS, for that matter) while the latter happens regularly with the tacit blessing of WN management.

Last edited by Orwaid; Dec 10, 2014 at 10:07 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.