Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alamo Rental via SW

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2014, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Alamo Rental via SW

I got an email from SW offering 1200 miles to rent a car through Alamo on my upcoming trip.

The car is about $40 less than the car I have reserved at National but I do like the National aisle service.

Alamo has a bypass the counter option which I believe lets you pick your car 24 hours in advance so you can go straight to the car sort of like National except it's a specific car.

I am renting in TPA which does offer they bypass option.

They are also saying to show you SW frequent flier card when you check the card out but it's already in my Alamo profile and I see a $7.50 frequent flier surcharge on the bill so I'm not sure if it's necessary.

Any tips ? Anything I am missing ?

Thanks

Last edited by flyer4512; Nov 21, 2014 at 6:50 pm
Old Nov 21, 2014, 4:23 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
I used to try and take advantage of this some 10 years ago and the credits wouldn't post. Did read of similar stories here. Maybe things have changed. 600 points is a drop in a bucket to me, I'd rather chose my own car, very often a convertible in TPA and earn credits towards free days.

But if its $40 (a day?) savings and paying personally, I would think twice about the savings!
Old Nov 21, 2014, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joshua362
I used to try and take advantage of this some 10 years ago and the credits wouldn't post. Did read of similar stories here. Maybe things have changed. 600 points is a drop in a bucket to me, I'd rather chose my own car, very often a convertible in TPA and earn credits towards free days.

But if its $40 (a day?) savings and paying personally, I would think twice about the savings!
It's $40 total savings over the National midsize aisle car but I doubt a convertible will be available to choose from so chances are it's the same type car I would get at National as both reservations are for midsize cars.

Since the actual reservation itself, which I made via the SW website says I will earn at least 600 miles and I have an email targeting me ( which actually says it's a double points offer so 1200 points Earn 2X Rapid Rewards Points + Great Rental Car Rates For Your Upcoming Trip) I doubt getting the points will be an issue.

So it's $40 less for a 5 day rental plus 1200 points which are something to me as I don't pay for flights ( earned CP via CC's) are worth it to me as long as I can bypass the counter.

Thanks for your input

Last edited by flyer4512; Nov 21, 2014 at 5:18 pm
Old Nov 21, 2014, 6:16 pm

Programs: HH Silver
This is all pretty accurate. 1200 points is pretty much standard if you use a WN corp code on any car, 2 days or more. Many times you can get 2400 points. A 5 day rental should earn 1800 points using corp id #7016141 The bad, yes getting those points is sometimes difficult.

Tips? You do not need to show your card, but must make sure that your FF# is entered into your reservation (if its showing the surcharge, it probably is). If you do not get your points, don't give up. I have always gotten them eventually. The Alamo website is often not working correctly, so you wont always be able to check in online. All in all, I like Alamo, and earn a lot of points cheaply.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Very very often you will be chasing the points. Clearly cookies/cache and rebooting before booking has been said to help.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tatterdema
This is all pretty accurate. 1200 points is pretty much standard if you use a WN corp code on any car, 2 days or more. Many times you can get 2400 points. A 5 day rental should earn 1800 points using corp id #7016141 The bad, yes getting those points is sometimes difficult.

The Alamo website is often not working correctly, so you wont always be able to check in online.
The email defaulted to code 7016193 which says.......Southwest Customers can earn 1,200 Rapid Rewards® Points on Alamo rentals of two or more days, in addition to everyday great rates! Offer is valid on all car types for rentals through December 31, 2014.

Provide Corporate ID 7016193 and Rapid Rewards Member Number at time of booking to take advantage of this limited time offer.

Are you saying using code 7016141 would get me more than 1200 points since it's a 5 day rental ? Both codes just say I will earn at least 600 points on the reservation.

Interesting that the points don't usually post as it seems very cut and dry. If I have a problem with the points not posting do I contact Alamo or SW ?

I also can't figure out where I enter my credit card ( I entered it to reserve the car but don't see where it's stored) and insurance options in my Alamo Insiders profile as that seems to be necessary to bypass the counter. I'm not sure if the problem is the website ( as you mentioned) or me not having that info in my profile.

I'll give it a shot, at least I save $40 if the points don't post.

Thanks

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Very very often you will be chasing the points. Clearly cookies/cache and rebooting before booking has been said to help.
Besides the obvious I'm not sure what this means. Why would you need a clear cache to book an offer I linked directly through an email I was sent ? All I did was create an Alamo ID then follow the link in the email to book. I'm not sure what I am missing.

Thanks

Last edited by flyer4512; Nov 21, 2014 at 7:04 pm
Old Nov 21, 2014, 9:06 pm

I rent from WN partners using WN promo codes once or twice a week. Alamo postings used to be an issue...no longer. Actually very consistent now. Dollar/Thrifty is a whole different story.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 3:36 am

Yes, if you use the code I provided, you should receive 1800 points. Here is the link.. https://www.southwest.com/html/rapid...P20ALAMO140801 I would use the Alamo website, entering this code, along with a coupon code for either an upgrade, or additional $ off.

If points do not post, I contact both Alamo and Southwest. Many times they make me wait 6 or 7 weeks, but I have always gotten them eventually.

Originally Posted by flyer4512
The email defaulted to code 7016193 which says.......Southwest Customers can earn 1,200 Rapid Rewards® Points on Alamo rentals of two or more days, in addition to everyday great rates! Offer is valid on all car types for rentals through December 31, 2014.

Provide Corporate ID 7016193 and Rapid Rewards Member Number at time of booking to take advantage of this limited time offer.

Are you saying using code 7016141 would get me more than 1200 points since it's a 5 day rental ? Both codes just say I will earn at least 600 points on the reservation.

Interesting that the points don't usually post as it seems very cut and dry. If I have a problem with the points not posting do I contact Alamo or SW ?

I also can't figure out where I enter my credit card ( I entered it to reserve the car but don't see where it's stored) and insurance options in my Alamo Insiders profile as that seems to be necessary to bypass the counter. I'm not sure if the problem is the website ( as you mentioned) or me not having that info in my profile.

I'll give it a shot, at least I save $40 if the points don't post.

Thanks

Besides the obvious I'm not sure what this means. Why would you need a clear cache to book an offer I linked directly through an email I was sent ? All I did was create an Alamo ID then follow the link in the email to book. I'm not sure what I am missing.

Thanks
Old Nov 22, 2014, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Yes, if you use the code I provided, you should receive 1800 points. Here is the link.. https://www.southwest.com/html/rapid...P20ALAMO140801 I would use the Alamo website, entering this code, along with a coupon code for either an upgrade, or additional $ off..

Do you think this is a possible reason why your points aren't posting or at least being delayed while the post a few up claims no problems ?

From the T@C........

"This offer cannot be combined with another"
Old Nov 22, 2014, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
I've done a half dozen rentals under the current promo, booking Alamo directly from the SW promo page. Both the base and bonus points have posted promptly in all cases (to my pleasant surprise).

Alamo has a bypass the counter option which I believe lets you pick your car 24 hours in advance so you can go straight to the car sort of like National except it's a specific car.

I am renting in TPA which does offer they bypass option.
My rentals were at IAD. I used the online check-in and counter bypass, a huge time saver, but that didn't get me a specific vehicle. I still had to pick from the Alamo aisle for my car type when I arrived.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by swag
I've done a half dozen rentals under the current promo, booking Alamo directly from the SW promo page. Both the base and bonus points have posted promptly in all cases (to my pleasant surprise).

My rentals were at IAD. I used the online check-in and counter bypass, a huge time saver, but that didn't get me a specific vehicle. I still had to pick from the Alamo aisle for my car type when I arrived.
Thanks everyone for all the help.

I can't seem to find my Rapid Rewards card, is there a place online I can print it out ?

If I don't have the actual card (or a printout) will I be denied the miles even though all the FF info is in my Alamo account ?

I re booked using the 1800 point offer and this time I clicked add credit card to profile so I think I have that taken care of but I'm still not sure where I decline the insurance as I believe you have to fill that out to bypass the counter

Last edited by flyer4512; Nov 22, 2014 at 2:28 pm
Old Nov 22, 2014, 2:07 pm

Do you think this is a possible reason why your points aren't posting or at least being delayed while the post a few up claims no problems ?

From the T@C........

"This offer cannot be combined with another"
No, because I have always gotten my points, had this been the case, they would not have given them to me. Also, sometimes they DO post, other times not. Let us know if yours do. Also, as I said in my post, you will not have to show card. In dozens and dozens of rentals, I have never once been asked to show it.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

No, because I have always gotten my points, had this been the case, they would not have given them to me. Also, sometimes they DO post, other times not. Let us know if yours do. Also, as I said in my post, you will not have to show card. In dozens and dozens of rentals, I have never once been asked to show it.
Sorry, read that fast as did have to show the card , all my SW FF info is in my profile and shows on the reservation.

The only difference is my SW FF # is showing 3 leading zeros and then my FF # but I'm guessing that is normal.

Thanks and I will reply back as to if and when they post.

Last edited by flyer4512; Nov 22, 2014 at 9:03 pm
Old Nov 22, 2014, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Thanks everyone for all the help.

I can't seem to find my Rapid Rewards card, is there a place online I can print it out ?

If I don't have the actual card (or a printout) will I be denied the miles even though all the FF info is in my Alamo account ?

I re booked using the 1800 point offer and this time I clicked add credit card to profile so I think I have that taken care of but I'm still not sure where I decline the insurance as I believe you have to fill that out to bypass the counter
When you do the online check-in and online counter bypass, you can select the options to decline insurance, refueling, etc then.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by swag
When you do the online check-in and online counter bypass, you can select the options to decline insurance, refueling, etc then.

I checked in online for the reservation I just cancelled and I was never asked those questions. The online check in just failed with no explanation.

I made the reservation again using the 1600 mile offer but have yet to check in online.

Since I am not picking the car up until 11/28 ( next Friday) can I check in now or is it too early ?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.