Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

WN Announcement- Bold new look, same Southwest Heart

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WN Announcement- Bold new look, same Southwest Heart

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2014, 9:14 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by tusphotog
Not Alaska, which has added six seats to the 737-800 and nine seats on the 737-900 (non ERs). New seat pitch is 31". USAir doesn't currently offer Premium Economy either (but that's changing as the merger takes place).

Why would WN remove seats and "give back" legroom if their flights are constantly full?
Bingo. A lot of things we assume about airline travel are getting shoved aside because the planes are all packed like sardine cans. It won't change until some airline comes along and puts more planes in the air.

BTW, re: the new livery, I think it is boring and too derivative of what a lot of other airlines already use. However, I give it a thumbs up because it is sure a lot better than the current livery.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
No power outlets on board, but adding more of them them at airports
Nope nope nope nope...
Old Sep 8, 2014, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by jn in ca
Bingo. A lot of things we assume about airline travel are getting shoved aside because the planes are all packed like sardine cans. It won't change until some airline comes along and puts more planes in the air.
Yet lots of airlines are set to receive new planes, including Southwest. At some point the yo-yo will come back and the market will remember who was on the side of the customer. Southwest is eroding their "goodwill". They will need it in the future. Unfortunately GK will have collected retirement bonus and his stock options ( and sold them at a profit ) The next poor SOB CEO will have to deal with the damage.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 10:11 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
At some point the yo-yo will come back and the market will remember who was on the side of the customer.
Can you honestly say any airline has been "on the side" of the customer since 9/11? The only exception I can think of is VX, but even that's iffy. I hear B6 is good, but I haven't flown them since 2006.

I long for the "old days" with WN, AS, DL etc just as much as everyone else, but those days went away a long, long time ago. Hopefully WN won't go the Ryanair route with the Max and shove 200 seats in there.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 11:52 pm

WTH is wrong with you people? If you want assigned seats, fly Alaska. If you want power, United.

Southwest is what Southwest is. If you want something different than what they offer go fly someone else.

Honestly, explains to me why you fly WN, when all you want is a product that other Airlines offer?
Do you go to Burger King and try to order a Big Mac? A Chevy dealer to buy a BMW?

The reason WN is the number one domestic carrier is probably BECAUSE there is no assigned seating, not in spite of it.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
Do you go to Burger King and try to order a Big Mac?
Actually, I do... it's called the Big King.

Seriously though... I don't fly WN. And I won't in the near future.

But there are other factors beyond unassigned seating that have a much greater impact on WN's standing vs. other carriers.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 2:21 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
A Chevy dealer to buy a BMW?
Oddly enough, the BMW dealer in Tucson has a smattering of Chevys parked out front that people trade in for BMWs. It's always strange seeing them parked there.

Originally Posted by LAXative
Seriously though... I don't fly WN. And I won't in the near future.
Fascinating. Why do you care about what WN does or doesn't have on their planes?
Old Sep 9, 2014, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by tusphotog
Fascinating. Why do you care about what WN does or doesn't have on their planes?
Why wouldn't I care? If they made a change that would attract me, I would consider them. So far... I'm still not considering them.

I never have flown or will fly RyanAir, but still I care about what they do because they got Boeing to create a special plane just for them, the 737 MAX 200... potentially 200 pax on a single-aisle plane meant for 189 pax. And no galleys.

My interest in WN is similar... what WN does either directly affects my buying decisions, or indirectly affects me by how my preferred airlines react.

If WN is serious about attracting business travelers, the lack of in-seat power doesn't help.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by LAXative
Why wouldn't I care? If they made a change that would attract me, I would consider them. So far... I'm still not considering them.

I never have flown or will fly RyanAir, but still I care about what they do because they got Boeing to create a special plane just for them, the 737 MAX 200... potentially 200 pax on a single-aisle plane meant for 189 pax. And no galleys.

My interest in WN is similar... what WN does either directly affects my buying decisions, or indirectly affects me by how my preferred airlines react.

If WN is serious about attracting business travelers, the lack of in-seat power doesn't help.
I suggest you visit LAX on a Monday morning if you don't think WN attracts business travelers
Old Sep 9, 2014, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by john398
You know this thread was an OFFICIAL post from Southwest right?
i.e. advertisement.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 7:06 am

Programs: Southwest Airlines AP & CP; BA Gold
WTH is wrong with you people?

Southwest is what Southwest is. If you want something different than what they offer go fly someone else.
Agreed. Southwest makes a simple commitment and works very hard to keep it. No lies, no consistently bad attitude from staff, and always pulling to get me to my destination. If I had to fly American or Untied 95 times a year, I would quit my job.

On discussion boards there is a name for people griping about products they don't use; Trolls.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kaller
No lies..
Well, let's say fewer lies than, for example, UA.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by RJNYC
it looks like a Fanta bottle
One analyst, who praised the move, compared the color scheme to Wonder Bread. I hope he knows that Wonder Bread is mostly sugar, with little substance.

Mike
Old Sep 9, 2014, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by kaller
Agreed. Southwest makes a simple commitment and works very hard to keep it. No lies, no consistently bad attitude from staff, and always pulling to get me to my destination. If I had to fly American or Untied 95 times a year, I would quit my job.

On discussion boards there is a name for people griping about products they don't use; Trolls.
Keep in mind that there are two groups complaining on this thread. Those that don't fly Southwest and for some reason complain about a company they never or rarely use for service. And those of us who fly Southwest, many of us quite a bit. The former group, yes, I would consider rather trollish.

And even in the latter group the complaints can be rather trivial. I think that the website bugs, late flights, and cramped seating are worthy complaints that need to be aired so that Southwest can at least have the data. If no one complains, then nothing gets fixed.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MrMan
I suggest you visit LAX on a Monday morning if you don't think WN attracts business travelers
I have. Those lines in front of T1 are horrid. No thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.