Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

WN Announcement- Bold new look, same Southwest Heart

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WN Announcement- Bold new look, same Southwest Heart

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2014, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by SouthwestAir
smmrfld,

Improving our ontime performance is one of the most important things we are focusing on for the rest of 2014, independent of this work. We are also expanding our Social Care Team and hope to increase our presence here on the Flyertalk forum.
Terrific. I look forward to hearing from you on this forum regarding significantly improved on-time numbers in the very near future. Thanks.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 3:33 pm

How about a small change to the "happy happy" talk supporting the new design:

"To us, you’re not 1A or 17B. You’re a sap who just spent $8.00 on a wifi connection that won't work for the next two hours. You will feel special as you wonder why WN doesn't use GoGo like other airlines with functional wifi."

Kind of catchy, don't you think?
Old Sep 8, 2014, 3:54 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
This new livery is absolutely horrible. Gets away from Southwest's core history, and the font is among the worst I've seen.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 5:11 pm

Location: Inland Empire, semi-regularly going between LAX/ONT/SNA and IND/STL
Programs: Rapid Rewards, SkyMiles, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
Nice paint job.

Let me know when you fly internationally, have widebodies, assigned seating, FC, and Lounges.
When the city repaves the street outside your house, do you complain that they still have intersections and 30-mph (or whatever it happens to be) speed limits instead of exit ramps at every house, a wide median, and 70-mph speed limits?

Just like being an interstate simply isn't what your local surface street does, neither is what you mention what Southwest does. It's just not what they're there for.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by gooseman13
The website says an upgraded airport experience, with DAL starting immediately.
Currently, they're doing self bag tagging testing in DAL.

I did the self bag tagging in DAL this past Friday. The kiosks were away from the ticket counter and you can print your boarding pass, too. Then all you do is get in line (there wasn't a line when I was there) and just put your bags on the scale, show your ID and you're on your way. It was very fast. From the time I got dropped off until the time I actually got to the gate took a mere 10 minutes.

Someone on airliners.net listened to the media event and took notes:

o Plan to exceed ROIC target 15% in 2015.
o Idea for SWA DAL longhaul buildup spurred by Delta pull down at DFW
o Sees "modest" trimming of DAL shorthaul flying to make room for more longer flights.
o Sees daily ops at DAL climbing from 120 to 150. Similar in size to HOU
o MDW largest hub - about 250 departures
o Top-10 cities are "crown jewels" - key growth focus
o Likes serving multiple airports in metro market since most pax are point to point and this get them closest to where they want to be
o ATL is a big market - will continue to have big presence - focused on where locals want to go.
o 75% of AirTran integration complete. Last flight December 28th.
o AirTran gave Southwest many things - esp NYC and DC.
o SWA was prior viewed as heavily leisure airline in Eastern US.
o SWA to be 2nd largest carrier at DCA by end of 2014. From 17 to 44 flights.
o No plans for any aircraft type other than 737 family
o 737MAX entry to service 3Q 2017.
o "pivoting" to use 738 on longer stage lengths.
o Updated cabins coming also in about 6 months. Revised Evolve seat bottoms and improved cabin durability features.
o No power outlets on board, but adding more of them them at airports
o Not planning seperate premium economy/extra legroom product. Tension between revenue vs space vs cost.
o Always keeps an eye on used a/c market.
o Sees under served route opportunities to Canada, however high airport fees and taxes are a challenge
o But be "surprised" if not serving Canada by end of decade.
o New reservations system - Amadeus exceeded expectations. Smooth roll out
o GDS distribution more important for international flying where consumer internet purchasing not as high
o With new res system will have option to open up sales window further than current 6-months
o Identified easily 50 destinations outside the US that are good fit
o Self bag tagging testing in DAL. LAX likely first major roll out.
o While technology is great, machinery cant replace head and heart of employees.
o Focus is back on On Time performance. Numbers bounced back - as of late August was 84% OT
o Tighter scheduling in 2013 gave SWA equivalent of 16 extra aircraft, but also hurt OT.
o Greater utilization planned in 2015. ~3% growth with same fleet count
o Growth through 2017 at or below GDP
o SWA - is "true American airline" - every demographic group is a client on SWA
o Uses a "customer centricity program" to parse customer comments and make marketing decisions
o Bags still fly free - Think that when you go on vacation, it’s not unreasonable to take stuff with you.
o Actually believe charging would be a "loser all around". Estimates SWA earns $1bil from clients that specifically shop SWA because of the free bags, and might not travel otherwise.
o Bags fly free was marketing gift from rest of industry.
o Labor 1/3 of total cost. Wont BK the company to reduce them, but controlling them critical for long term success
Old Sep 8, 2014, 5:26 pm

New look

I guess painting the planes is more important than what customers want huh?
Like assigned seats, wifi that actually works, and something for frequent business travelers besides a free drink.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by LoneStarMike
Currently, they're doing self bag tagging testing in DAL.

I did the self bag tagging in DAL this past Friday. The kiosks were away from the ticket counter and you can print your boarding pass, too. Then all you do is get in line (there wasn't a line when I was there) and just put your bags on the scale, show your ID and you're on your way. It was very fast. From the time I got dropped off until the time I actually got to the gate took a mere 10 minutes.

Someone on airliners.net listened to the media event and took notes:
Thanks for posting.

Looks like Revolve seats are on the way...you read it here first!
Old Sep 8, 2014, 5:37 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I appreciate Southwest's commitment to participating here.

While I do agree that Southwest's Heart is still the same, the capillaries between rows of seats have narrowed to the point where we corpuscles have some trouble squeezing in.

If Evolve was part of a grand plan to reset the baseline before introducing the old pitch as "extra legroom", it's high time to begin Phase Two.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
I guess that we will wait for 737-8MAX to be delivery in the 3rd quarter 2017. I hope they will fly to Hawaii.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
I appreciate Southwest's commitment to participating here.

While I do agree that Southwest's Heart is still the same, the capillaries between rows of seats have narrowed to the point where we corpuscles have some trouble squeezing in.

If Evolve was part of a grand plan to reset the baseline before introducing the old pitch as "extra legroom", it's high time to begin Phase Two.
From the info posted above, it looks like new seat bottoms might be coming, but that seat pitch will not be addressed.

• Updated cabins coming also in about 6 months. Revised Evolve seat bottoms and improved cabin durability features.
  • No power outlets on board, but adding more of them them at airports
  • Not planning seperate premium economy/extra legroom product. Tension between revenue vs space vs cost.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 5:54 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Shiny Coolness..... and continued love of passengers with luggage allowance

Shiny!

Although the word "Southwest" returns to white color, I like the shiny metallic lines between the colors of blue, Yellow, and Red. Officially the "Canyon Blue" is now "bold blue", yellow is now "sunrise yellow", red is "warm red". I guess "desert gold" and orange couldn't make the revival....

It's also cool that Southwest is still bucking the trend to provide two complimentary checked baggage for its passengers. That's HEART!

Jiburi
Old Sep 8, 2014, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by ssu11321
I guess painting the planes is more important than what customers want huh?
Like assigned seats, wifi that actually works, and something for frequent business travelers besides a free drink.
Yep. The following decisions seem crazy to me:

• Updated cabins coming also in about 6 months. Revised Evolve seat bottoms and improved cabin durability features.
  • No power outlets on board, but adding more of them them at airports
  • Not planning seperate premium economy/extra legroom product. Tension between revenue vs space vs cost.
They talk about what customers want and then don't implement what's required to meet that demand...

Customers want more legroom, they want power outlets on planes, and business customers want something for their premium fares other than getting on the plane first where they may not get the seat they want with a free drink coupon they probably won't use. Not to mention a website that actually works...

I guess one (addressing their tardiness issues) out of, uh, a lot of things that customers want is progress...
Old Sep 8, 2014, 6:29 pm

Not to repeat myself, but what does this exactly mean?

"Not planning seperate premium economy/extra legroom product. Tension between revenue vs space vs cost."

It means to me that, yes, they've heard their customers loud and clear on this but haven't been able to figure out how to offer a premium economy product in an open-seating environment and have concluded that the lower risk to achieve maximum revenue per flight is the status quo of offering a sub-par business/frequent flier product and irritating customers with sparse amounts of legroom vs. opening up some real estate and charging customers more for it and buying some more metal to give all customers a little more legroom.

Of course, if Southwest keeps squeezing customers into existing inventory with more flights and those flights keep selling out, I suppose it's going to be difficult to convince them to go with the latter plan.

To be objective, though, this seems to be what all other airlines are doing - except they all offer premium seating...

See, if the most steadfast of WN supporters can be highly critical. Very disappointed in their decisions...
Old Sep 8, 2014, 7:50 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by texashoser
To be objective, though, this seems to be what all other airlines are doing - except they all offer premium seating...
Not Alaska, which has added six seats to the 737-800 and nine seats on the 737-900 (non ERs). New seat pitch is 31". USAir doesn't currently offer Premium Economy either (but that's changing as the merger takes place).

Why would WN remove seats and "give back" legroom if their flights are constantly full?
Old Sep 8, 2014, 9:03 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
"o Greater utilization planned in 2015. ~3% growth with same fleet count"

There goes the on-time performance issue again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.