Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Rumor now Confirmed: New Southwest Livery Scheme

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rumor now Confirmed: New Southwest Livery Scheme

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2014, 11:54 am

I wonder if this hot dog on a stick was Gilligan's (VandeVen) idea. This ranks up there with Dick Ferris and Allegis.

Here is a sneak peek at the new pilot's uniform
Old Sep 7, 2014, 11:58 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
IMO it looks pretty bad; the font, the coloring, everything.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by Texas Booster
I am not high on the font either.

Was hoping for Comic Sans, just to see graphic pros gnash their teeth.
Looks like Gotham, which is just as overused these days.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I hope they didn't pay too much for design. Looks a lot like the English Southwest Trains livery.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...s_1239801c.jpg
Old Sep 7, 2014, 12:54 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Wow, the new livery looks awful. The color scheme is garish, and the font is uninspired. And what is up with the website on the engines? As if anyone couldn't remember the URL?
Old Sep 7, 2014, 1:04 pm

It looks super Euro-ULCC to me. Hopefully that is not what they were going for.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 1:15 pm

Programs: DL Silver, HH diamond, Midwest Miles (RIP), NWA WP (RIP)
I think they've had this livery in storage ever since the attempted Midwest takeover. Looks like a combination almost (though I like the YX blue better). Like in this pic...
http://photos.plane-mad.com/7/large/7257.jpg
Old Sep 7, 2014, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, AF Plat, VS Gold, Hyatt Glob, Sixt Diamond, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
IMO it looks pretty bad; the font, the coloring, everything.

Agreed on all counts!
Old Sep 7, 2014, 1:34 pm

Scratching my head over all the grief. Looks fine to me. Who cares...

If they will add routes, fix their IT/website issues, and arrive on time, let them paint flying pigs on their planes.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 1:46 pm

Random thoughts:

-- Even after sleeping on it, I still think that the new livery is just awful. The cheap looking primary colors; the too-simple overall design; the horrible font choice kerned too tightly and awkwardly broken up by the windows, putting the URL on the engines… there's really just nothing good about this.

-- With their Facebook post referencing "heart," I'm wondering if there may be an element we're not seeing in the leaked pics; perhaps a heart on the nose cone or belly? Although I doubt that would be much of an improvement.

-- I suppose the URL on the engine is a nod to AirTran's look, but it's pretty anachronistic and dated at this point. They should just go ahead and add a Facebook logo while they're at it.

-- The common element on the previous special liveries was the Southwest name on the vertical stabilizer. I'm not sure how they're going to marry this new design (and include the name) with any special liveries.

-- It's not unusual for a business to re-brand instead of addressing actual issues… but I think customers realize that this effort costs money, and the timing -- during a period of increasingly higher fares -- is pretty odd.

-- I suspect the reaction from customers to be negative.

Last edited by ursine1; Sep 7, 2014 at 1:51 pm
Old Sep 7, 2014, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by texashoser
Scratching my head over all the grief. Looks fine to me. Who cares...

If they will add routes, fix their IT/website issues, and arrive on time, let them paint flying pigs on their planes.
Some of the grief may be because they aren't doing any of those things, but instead are painting their planes.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by panjabi
Funnily, Times New Roman annoys me far more. At least you know that the guy/gal that used Comic Sans was not pretending to be serious. Times New Roman is the font equivalent of a poseur. Kinda like Madonna with the fake British accent
I can't stand any font, that makes 'l I 1' (those are 'l I 1')all look like identical vertical sticks. And for a truly retarded idea, use those vertical sticks on email addresses or passwords.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12

https://twitter.com/PlaneBusiness/st...923456/photo/1

I don't really love the font but also mostly don't care.
TWA and Pan Am had nicer livery IMHOP
Old Sep 7, 2014, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
Random thoughts:

-- With their Facebook post referencing "heart," I'm wondering if there may be an element we're not seeing in the leaked pics; perhaps a heart on the nose cone or belly? Although I doubt that would be much of an improvement.
I was thinking the same thing; they put the same quote referencing heart on our boards at work, however the word heart is capitalized, so seemed to be even more important!
Old Sep 7, 2014, 4:50 pm

Yawn...count me in the minority who doesn't care. Southwest has never lost a plane and that is quite a feet even in today's modern world of air travel.

Lots of objections by FT members to the new AA livery as well. It stuck though...I bet this will too!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.