Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Rumor now Confirmed: New Southwest Livery Scheme

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rumor now Confirmed: New Southwest Livery Scheme

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2014, 5:40 pm

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue
[QUOTE=agp423;23458223]I'd like to see the SW planes painted all white

Or paint the head with faces on them. Like those cartoon fighter jets [/QUOt

A la ValuJet. LOL
Old Sep 1, 2014, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
You are now Free to move about the country.

(Do they still use that slogan?)

And speaking of slogans, I think Frontier (in its move toward ULCC hell) is dropping "A Whole Different Animal", and the planes painted to match that slogan. Maybe Southwest could do something of that sort now that it's available?
I don't think Freedom would work. Even though the airline died in 2010, I believe Mesa still owns the name.

The Frontier rebranding looks interesting, especially since it appears they are going back to the original "F" logo - but also expanding the coverage of the animals on the aircraft.

Originally Posted by alggag
Or Delta, for that matter.

I would like to reiterate that the suggestion in the airliners thread was that Southwest adopt the ATA name (the airline that was partnered with WN for a few years and which was later acquired in 2008 pretty much exclusively for their LGA slot holdings) NOT the AirTran name.
I don't think many realize Delta came from the airline being founded in the Mississippi Delta region. Good call on the ATA (or TZ to avoid confusion) issue with some here thinking you mean AirTran - which is FL.

[QUOTE=SDCA;23458416]
Originally Posted by agp423
I'd like to see the SW planes painted all white

Or paint the head with faces on them. Like those cartoon fighter jets [/QUOt

A la ValuJet. LOL
I don't think we'll see TJ Luv showing up on the aircraft anytime soon. I will say though I did like the Critter from VJ, regardless of what happened to them before they bought out AirTran and went through the revamping following 592.

Old Sep 1, 2014, 11:38 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Originally Posted by flyventure
I don't think we'll see TJ Luv showing up on the aircraft anytime soon. I will say though I did like the Critter from VJ, regardless of what happened to them before they bought out AirTran and went through the revamping following 592.
It's a shame that the Critter has been erased from aviation history with about 0% chance of ever coming back as a retro jet (well less than zero now that it's part of WN). I really liked that cartoon plane.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 3:52 am

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
BTW, per the a.net thread N8642E, the aircraft that apparently flew into Victorville in the middle of the night and that hasn't been seen since was photographed with the standard rudder. Rudders have to be painted at the factory for balance reasons and are typically the first indication of new paint schemes. http://www.airliners.net/photo/Untit...246a813ac13f08

So my bet is that it's more likely a specialty plane or at most a tweak/refresh of the current scheme.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:55 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by alggag
There's still enough value and goodwill (IMO) that actually addressing and fixing those problems will be sufficient to continue on with the current brand.

Rebranding by itself without actually acknowledging the problems and outlining what they're going to do fix them is just going to piss people off more.
Agreed, was not attempting to suggest otherwise,
Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:57 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Who said anything about WN adopting the FL brand?
I was simply speculating on possible changes, in the highly unlikely event WN felt the need to do so.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 8:02 am

I don't think Freedom would work. Even though the airline died in 2010, I believe Mesa still owns the name.
I just went through a list of defunct airlines and picked out names that seems plausible or fun.

I especially liked the Red Baron name because of the industry reputation Southwest pilots have of being hot dogs.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 12:58 pm

Announcement Monday 9/8

The rumor:
Dark Blue
Red Belly gone (Herb used to call em his Red-Bellied-Warbirds)
No Southwest lettering on the empennage
The name Southwest on the fuselage no longer in all caps
New font, maybe like the inflight mag
Some pinstripes

New paint scheme will be cheaper than old. Wonder if new paint will be less prone to fading. Prepare to be underwhelmed.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by kerflumexed
Announcement Monday 9/8

The rumor:
Dark Blue
Some pinstripes

New paint scheme will be cheaper than old. Wonder if new paint will be less prone to fading. Prepare to be underwhelmed.
Shhhhh...it is surprise. Don't tell anybody. It's secret.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 8:07 pm

Programs: WN CP/AL, UA 1P, PC Plat, AA, DL, US, AK, HH, MR, OH, LQ, RD (thanks GSA City-Pair Prog/DTS)
Announcement Monday 9/8

The rumor:
Dark Blue
Some pinstripes

As is often said in OMNI, this post is useless without pictures.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:54 pm

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue
Southwest current color scheme on their livery is the most recognizable airline in the air.

I wonder it will be like after the changes.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 1:48 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
I'll miss the red bellies. It's a great look (regardless if the plane is blue or vomit yellow).

I asked a FA today about the new livery and she looked at me like I had five heads. She then proceeded to say that she hasn't herd any rumors.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 2:51 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by tusphotog
I asked a FA today about the new livery and she looked at me like I had five heads.
Because your use of the term "livery" or the potential for a different paint scheme?
Old Sep 5, 2014, 2:05 pm

Lots of widdle animals on the tails. Oh, wait, that's...
Old Sep 5, 2014, 4:30 pm

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Announcement Monday 9/8

The rumor:
Dark Blue
Some pinstripes

The topcoat SWA selected has a serious gloss retention issue compared to competitors. It has been partially addressed by clearcoating.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.