Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Boarding order unenforced: upgrade devalued.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding order unenforced: upgrade devalued.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2014, 10:34 am
Suspended

Programs: WN~A List Pref, CP, Hyatt-Diamond, Hilton Diamond, ANT~a Dave Matthews Addiction thing
Originally Posted by schmoove
When the rules don't get applied why should they bother following them?
Because were trying to live in a society? That reasoning is like telling my Daughert to cheat on a test if it makes it easier for you, unless the teacher says "please no cheating" before the test
Old Aug 21, 2014, 11:17 am

Programs: SPG, Rapid Rewards, HHonors.
Originally Posted by antinseattle
Because were trying to live in a society? That reasoning is like telling my Daughert to cheat on a test if it makes it easier for you, unless the teacher says "please no cheating" before the test
Of course everybody should do right, I'm not suggesting that they shouldn't. However, when the people that are put in place to enforce the rules don't enforce them of course people are going to take advantage.

Its not reasoning, its human nature. If there are no consequences for going out of line some people will ignore protocol and go for theirs.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 11:44 am

You're also talking about a system where, even when the rules are followed, it may be meaningless, since it only takes one person ahead of you to save multiple seats and deny you the one you'd like. All completely within the rules.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 12:47 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
actually there are no rules about saving a seat either way

Last edited by john398; Aug 21, 2014 at 1:28 pm
Old Aug 21, 2014, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by schmoove
When the rules don't get applied why should they bother following them?
I don't know, personally I don't adhere to societal norms of fairness simply out of fear that someone is going to attempt to enforce them against me (nor do I try to get away with things that I wouldn't appreciate someone else doing just because I can).
Old Aug 21, 2014, 1:24 pm

Programs: SPG, Rapid Rewards, HHonors.
Originally Posted by trouble747
I don't know, personally I don't adhere to societal norms of fairness simply out of fear that someone is going to attempt to enforce them against me (nor do I try to get away with things that I wouldn't appreciate someone else doing just because I can).
You shouldn't. I don't see why people are responding to that one post mentioning about how they do things the right way. I wasn't saying anybody here does things wrong, nor am I advocating for people to break the rules. I was simply pointing out that some people will try and skirt by a rule if they know it won't be enforced.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 12:04 am

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
IMO a Make a Wish family might be the only case this could happen. Those sometimes aren't obvious to bystanders.

Last edited by traveller001; Aug 22, 2014 at 12:15 am
Old Aug 22, 2014, 6:44 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Originally Posted by ursine1
You're also talking about a system where, even when the rules are followed, it may be meaningless, since it only takes one person ahead of you to save multiple seats and deny you the one you'd like. All completely within the rules.
Originally Posted by john398
actually there are no rules about saving a seat either way
So the rule is anarchy. Not exactly the best way to ensure a fair and orderly boarding process.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 6:54 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by plagwate
So the rule is anarchy. Not exactly the best way to ensure a fair and orderly boarding process.
Actually, it is typically a very orderly boarding process. Whether it is a fair process depends on whether a couple of specific seats are important to you. If those seats are important to you, then an airline with reserved seats probably would be a better fit for you.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by lougord99
Actually, it is typically a very orderly boarding process. Whether it is a fair process depends on whether a couple of specific seats are important to you. If those seats are important to you, then an airline with reserved seats probably would be a better fit for you.
The invite to take your business elsewhere. Inevitable.

Early boarding should never be a shot in dark for those who earn it.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 7:22 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Its such a mixed bag. On one hand preboards don't bother me because they can't sit in the exit row and that seems uniformly enforced. But on a flight with a lot of thrus where the exit rows are taken, the bulkheads are next best and those are often filled by preboarders...
Old Aug 22, 2014, 7:52 am

Let those 5 feet and shorter preboard because they'll need a little extra time reaching the overhead bin and commonly request a boost from the FA.

Pregnant women need an aisle seat. They should preboard.

Also, any passenger named Duff.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 8:10 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by LegalTender
The invite to take your business elsewhere. Inevitable.

Early boarding should never be a shot in dark for those who earn it.
Of course the boarding order should be properly enforced. But it isn't. That is clear and just as clearly Southwest isn't going to change. I should probably just ignore these threads which continue endlessly, but I seem to get drawn in.

What alternatives do you suggest other than taking your business elsewhere ( assuming you have any choices for your city pairs ).
Old Aug 22, 2014, 9:46 am

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Of course the boarding order should be properly enforced. But it isn't. That is clear and just as clearly Southwest isn't going to change. I should probably just ignore these threads which continue endlessly, but I seem to get drawn in.

What alternatives do you suggest other than taking your business elsewhere ( assuming you have any choices for your city pairs ).
Go into the light with the rest of us.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4Dc-J_mD7c
Old Aug 22, 2014, 9:57 am

Assigned Seating?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.