http://www.wapt.com/money/jackson-ai...510922#!bEAOVf

Now said to be 9th highest in US.

"Southwest Effect" in reverse!
Old Aug 16, 2014, 1:44 pm

Programs: WN Rapid Rewards, Delta Skymiles
Chicago - Jackson is my route. It's been incredibly painful for the wallet
Old Aug 16, 2014, 2:11 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
but, but, but, I thought it was all just a thing of the past and that WN marketing was just pulling wool over people's eyes?!
Old Aug 16, 2014, 3:05 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by alggag
…but, but, but, I thought it was all just a thing of the past and that WN marketing was just pulling wool over people's eyes?!
^ It always frustrates me when people argue that WN isn't cheaper than the legacies anymore. On many routes, it's STILL the mere presence of WN (or B6, VX, etc.) that keeps the legacies in check. On routes with no WN competition, the legacies still gouge travelers (particularly business travelers) in a way that WN won't.

EWR-ORD is a perfect example. To get the lowest fares from the legacies, round-trip purchases are still required. Further, weekday travel that doesn't meet a certain minimum stay requirement (i.e. typical business travel) prices out at fares that are similar to WN's Anytime fares on EWR-MDW.

For example, a two-night, weekday trip with four weeks' advance purchase is currently pricing out as follows:

EWR-ORD
UA: $836 (Non-refundable; $200 change fee)
AA: $836 (Non-refundable; $200 change fee)

EWR-MDW
WN: $250 WGA ($836 for Anytime)
Old Aug 16, 2014, 4:51 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
In small markets it's not necessarily "the Southwest Effect" when WN joins or leaves the market, it's just the law of supply and demand. I think you'd see the same as in Jackson at any small market served by 2 airlines. When airline "B" closes shop the supply of seats is greatly reduced. Airline "A" is able to sell the smaller number of remaining seats only to customers who are willing to pay higher prices. That will continue until either airline "C" spots an opportunity and starts operations there or "A" decides there's better money in increasing its own supply while lowering average prices. In the airline business these operational changes do not happen quickly. The short-term price spike could last months or longer.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by dw
^ It always frustrates me when people argue that WN isn't cheaper than the legacies anymore. On many routes, it's STILL the mere presence of WN (or B6, VX, etc.) that keeps the legacies in check. On routes with no WN competition, the legacies still gouge travelers (particularly business travelers) in a way that WN won't.

EWR-ORD is a perfect example. To get the lowest fares from the legacies, round-trip purchases are still required. Further, weekday travel that doesn't meet a certain minimum stay requirement (i.e. typical business travel) prices out at fares that are similar to WN's Anytime fares on EWR-MDW.

For example, a two-night, weekday trip with four weeks' advance purchase is currently pricing out as follows:

EWR-ORD
UA: $836 (Non-refundable; $200 change fee)
AA: $836 (Non-refundable; $200 change fee)

EWR-MDW
WN: $250 WGA ($836 for Anytime)
Those are high fares from EWR. Maybe it's just an anomoly, or maybe Southwest isn't getting the traction against United on the market pair.

In PHL, there is more competitiveness between US Air and Southwest between PHL-ORD and PHL-MDW, and United is a follower. United is selling $335 r/t out of PHL.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 5:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dw
This.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 6:14 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by dw
They are clueless, either willfully ignorant or unintentionally - WN is the price leader as you observe.

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/p/...leadership.asp
Old Aug 17, 2014, 6:18 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
In small markets it's not necessarily "the Southwest Effect" when WN joins or leaves the market, it's just the law of supply and demand. I think you'd see the same as in Jackson at any small market served by 2 airlines.
The chaos at small and medium size airports has been ongoing ever since the onset of consolidation started by Delta/Northwest. Just call any small or medium size airport manager and they will tell you this; it is happening all over the U.S. Jackson is just the latest airport to experience the "benefits of consolidation".
Old Aug 17, 2014, 6:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Nobody cares about which carrier is cheaper by some national metric. All any one passenger cares about is the price of his ticket for his particular flight.

At a small station, when one carrier pulls out, that means a vast drop in capacity and that leads to a significant increase in prices.

It also means that the station could not support the capacity in place. That is a function of the local economy vis-a-vis other markets.

Expect to see significant price increases to/from smaller markets such as this as AA/US takes hold.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by Often1
At a small station, when one carrier pulls out, that means a vast drop in capacity and that leads to a significant increase in prices.
This is not what the Jackson airport manager said. Paraphrasing - he said the departure of Southwest led to a decrease in competition (i.e. increased monopolistic concentration) and provided the remaining carriers with the opportunity to increase margins and profitability.

Originally Posted by Often1
Expect to see significant price increases to/from smaller markets such as this as AA/US takes hold.
It's been an ongoing trend and happening in small/medium markets served by Delta/Northwest, United/Continental, and yes Southwest/Air Tran. Why should we expect any different with AA/US? For better or worse consolidation is what the industry (and as implicitly agreed to by our government) has decided to do.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 6:41 am

According to the article
Ticket prices at the Jackson-Medgar Wiley Evers International Airport have jumped about five percent in the last year, from an average price of $434.25 to $454.49,
That is not an extraordinary increase and less that Southwest's average fares have gone up. Blaming Southwest is probably just convient.

Has anyone looked at the schedule out of Jackson? There is basically no competition on any single route.

Here are the cities you can get to non-stop. All of them are hubs.

DFW (AA)
Charlotte (USA)
Washingtom (USA)
Atlanta (DL)
Houston (UA)
Chicago (UA)

I just checked a fare from Jackson to Houstom about 30 days out and got a tound trip in the $260 range with one stop. That's less that Birmingham to Houston on Southwest, about the same as Memphis Houston and about $20 more than Atlanta Houston. The only nearby Airport which offered subistantially lower fares was New Orleans Houston which was about $100 less.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by hazelrah
The chaos at small and medium size airports has been ongoing ever since the onset of consolidation started by Delta/Northwest. Just call any small or medium size airport manager and they will tell you this; it is happening all over the U.S. Jackson is just the latest airport to experience the "benefits of consolidation".
The latest round of airline consolidation is just the latest blow to small and medium-sized airports. Most of the "chaos" stems from deregulation back in the late-70's. Before deregulation, fares were regulated by the government and were primarily based on distance. Also, airlines were required to serve the smaller cities.

Now, it's a virtual free-for-all. Some of the higher fares can be attributed to the higher costs associated with serving small cities (same staffing for fewer flights, etc.), but it's really supply and demand. The most onerous part of the latest round of consolidation was to let Airtran and Southwest merge together because some smaller cities in the Midwest and Southeast have lost "low fare" service.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by formeraa
Most of the "chaos" stems from deregulation back in the late-70's. Before deregulation, fares were regulated by the government and were primarily based on distance. Also, airlines were required to serve the smaller cities.

Now, it's a virtual free-for-all.
Airline deregulation was about the only intelligent thing Jimmy Carter ever did.

I remember those days. I remember how high airfares were relative to what they are today. Much MUCH higher overall for the average flight. Take a trip to the library and pull microfilm newspapers from the '60s and '70s. You'd be shocked at how high airfare was relative to average income..

Why exactly should people in small towns get subsidized on their airfares by guys like me who live in metropolitan areas, put up with all kinds of hassles, and have a much higher cost of living (including taxes)?

I'd like to live in bucolic nowhere and have people give me free money, too.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Here are the cities you can get to non-stop. All of them are hubs.

DFW (AA)
Charlotte (USA)
Washingtom (USA)
Atlanta (DL)
Houston (UA)
Chicago (UA)
There is no airline such as USA; it's either US or UA. (Yes, I know they used to be partners, but no longer.) Charlotte is a US hub. Washington DCA is a US hub, but Washington IAD is a UA hub (so Washington USA is ambiguous).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.