Community
Wiki Posts
Search

After WN left Jackson, airfares went up

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2014, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Not a fan of bleeding zillions of dollars from taxpayers to pitch at tiny little airports almost no one wants to use. Like JST, that ~$200,000,000 one in PA with about 25 pax a day:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/power-pl...100702844.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnsto...County_Airport
From your link: "as of April 2009, the airport had received almost $200 million in federal subsidies. That funding has not been used to subsidize the facility's operations, including the terminal. Those funds have been used to construct a concrete reinforced runway for military purposes and to build military installations near the airport."

If you think they received $200M to support scheduled passenger service, think again.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 12:08 pm

The Jackson experience kind of proves the SW effect is mostly a thing of the past.

In the 80's and 90's, SW entry into town meant a massive decrease in fares and a huge increase in airport traffic. It took no statistician to figure out something was going on. It was not only leisure fares that plummeted, but business and walk up fares also saw massive decrease. It left the major airlines with big problems--The lower fares led to a huge increase in the market. So they had to decide whether to deploy more of their capacity to a market at fares that lost them money, or to give up on the market. Often the response was sequential--first, more planes in an attempt to compete--followed some time later by a pull back as the extra market share destroyed the bottom line. This is how SW eventually came to dominate BWI---With US first trying to compete and then pulling out.

The micro effect of the SW pullout in Jackson shows how times have changed.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
...Here are the cities you can get to non-stop. All of them are hubs.

DFW (AA)
Charlotte (USA)
Washingtom (USA)
Atlanta (DL)
Houston (UA)
Chicago (UA)...
Forgetting DEN, are we?
Old Aug 20, 2014, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by Bonehead
Forgetting DEN, are we?
Denver is not listed on the Jackson Airport website.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 2:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Old Aug 20, 2014, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Denver is not listed on the Jackson Airport website.
Go to the website right now and you'll see six departures and five arrivals (F9 and UA) listed on the home page. You can also check the PDF on the "Flight Schedule" link.

You also left off MSP and SLC.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 7:22 am

Go to the website right now and you'll see six departures and five arrivals (F9 and UA) listed on the home page. You can also check the PDF on the "Flight Schedule" link.

You also left off MSP and SLC.
I have I don't see what you are seeing. You are talking about the Jackson Mississippi Medgar Wiley Evers International Airport (JAN) referred to in the link at the top of this thread?

The homepage linked above has these listings of Airlines:
Atlanta Delta
Charlotte US Airways
Chicago O’Hare United
Dallas/Ft. Worth American Airlines
Houston/Intercontinental United
Washington D.C./Reagan National US Airways
As far as I can tell Frontier (F9) doesn't to provide service to JAN, It's not listed on the Frontier website nor the Jackson Mississippi Medgar Wiley Evers International Airport website.

Which says:
The Jackson-Medgar Wiley Evers International Airport is proud to provide non-stop air service to six cities daily via four outstanding passenger carriers.
I think you may be looking at the Jackson Hole Wyoming airport (JAC)
Old Aug 21, 2014, 8:29 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by oswaldjacoby
The Jackson experience kind of proves the SW effect is mostly a thing of the past.
A large part of the "Southwest Effect" is labor costs and a definition of what constitutes a LCC. Through bankruptcy the legacy carriers have greatly pared their labor costs. Unions, through successful negotiation, have driven up labor costs at Southwest.

Southwest still has efficient operations, simplified training, common fleet type, maximization of fleet and crews, that provide cost advantages. I think the "Southwest Effect" is much diminished but still present.

Originally Posted by oswaldjacoby
The micro effect of the SW pullout in Jackson shows how times have changed.
Indeed, the industry pretty much has declared the failure of deregulation through bankruptcy, consolidation, and as a consequence increased monopolistic concentration.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by hazelrah
Indeed, the industry pretty much has declared the failure of deregulation through bankruptcy, consolidation, and as a consequence increased monopolistic concentration.
I don't think the industry liked deregulation much, but the public certainly did. I think on the whole deregulation did what it was supposed to do, provide the public with lower cost and greater choice.

The Legacy Airlines were unable to adjust their cost structures to the realities of the deregulated market where new entrants (including Southwest and others) had much different cost structures. The restructuring of the industry was a consequence of that.

The recent consolidation may only be temporary. You can see newer carriers expanding and in time may challenge the legacies. As the market continues to evolve you may see new entrants. PeoplExpress recently started, I don't know if they will be successful or not but other newer carriers from Spirit to JetBlue seem to be finding a place in the market.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...You are talking about the Jackson Mississippi Medgar Wiley Evers International Airport (JAN) referred to in the link at the top of this thread?...
oops

lol

sorry to waste everyone's time
Old Aug 21, 2014, 10:17 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, USDM Gold, National Exec Elite, IHG Dumped-now Kettle, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Often1
Nobody cares about which carrier is cheaper by some national metric. All any one passenger cares about is the price of his ticket for his particular flight.

At a small station, when one carrier pulls out, that means a vast drop in capacity and that leads to a significant increase in prices.

It also means that the station could not support the capacity in place. That is a function of the local economy vis-a-vis other markets.

Expect to see significant price increases to/from smaller markets such as this as AA/US takes hold.
Not always

US played particularly dirty on the PIT-PHL route. When WN started that route, US immediately cut their prices and (re)started flying bigger planes. But then US would interline their own crews for commutes on WN flights... some evening WN flights, the seats could be half filled with US crew members. During this time, RT US flights between the two cities were actually cheaper than fuel + tolls on the turnpike.

After WN pulled out, US more than doubled fares on the route.... exactly the very next day that WN stopped operating it. Also, in the months following, they reduced the number of flights on Boeings and Airbuses and reduced many of the flights to Embraers.

It's not that the O/D traffic out of PIT isn't there... it's that the O/D traffic out of PIT isn't there at US Airways' prices.... and US took anti-competitive action to make sure they could maintain their monopoly on this route.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 4:53 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
oops

lol

sorry to waste everyone's time
I can't help but kid, I guess your handle is appropriately named...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.