Wiki Posts
Search

Avoid SW when traveling to/from SEA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2014, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hawaiian Air Fold, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum
Avoid SW when traveling to/from SEA

Apparently SW is trying to run 40-50% more flights to SEA than they have gates to handle.

My flight in arrived 20 min early on Sun and had to wait 42 minutes before a gate opened up.

I am standing with pilot of the outbound flight. Both crew and plane arrived on time but the plane has been parked for over an hour waiting for a gate. Not only will we be 90 minutes late but so will everyone else using this bird for the next day or so. Weather is great.

My guess is that SW got their new management team from the banking industry and pax and on time performance are trumped by large executive bonuses ala the Wall Street paradigm.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 2:36 pm

Programs: HH Silver
I have been flying WN in and out of SEA for years. No different than AS as far as I have experienced. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't. Most times my flights have been on time.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 5:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: WN~A List Pref, CP, Hyatt-Diamond, Hilton Diamond, ANT~a Dave Matthews Addiction thing
I fly WN often in and out of Seattle. It happens. Not often. It also happens at SMF, LAS......etc. seems pretty rare to me. That's a long wait. Least it wasn't Vegas and 105 degrees. Been there. Done that

Not sure if the management theory is the reason for this
Old Aug 14, 2014, 10:10 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Would think this is going on all over the Nation as on-time performance slips. Flights are delayed for whatever reason, don't tug out of their gate, incoming "early" or on-time flights can't park in an occupied gate. Probably doesn't take too many delayed flights to use up whatever excess gate capacity WN has at a particular airport...
Old Aug 14, 2014, 11:16 am

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Edit: were you on flight 156 to SAN? Just guessing based on post time and location.

The flight yesterday leaving out of the same gate (B8) before 156 (flight 506 to BWI) left 45 minutes late. If WN doesn't have any other gates available at that time, then there's not much they can do.

Last edited by Lost; Aug 14, 2014 at 11:35 am Reason: Add clarification
Old Aug 14, 2014, 11:36 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM+, HHonors, Amtrak GuestRewards
Ahwile back, I was on late-evening flights into OAK where every gate was free (i.e., there was no outbound flight scheduled until the next day), but occupied with a plane. Rather than push an empty plane prior to our arrival, the choice was made for us to sit on the tarmac for 30+ minutes post-arrival, waiting for the one remaining, delayed, flight to depart and free up a gate.

Perhaps that kind of thing has been more of a problem recently with the increase in evening delays, but in my few recent evening flights with WN (mostly into MDW and OAK), I haven't run across it.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
One time I was delayed at BWI, so everyone is advised to avoid that airport as well.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 3:54 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
One time I was delayed at BWI, so everyone is advised to avoid that airport as well.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 4:48 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
That stuff happens...you get a few flight delays and there isnt much an airline can do. they could be having 3 shorter flights and 3 cross country flights. The XC flights were due an hr earlier but weather dealyed them so now you have 6 airplanes fighting over 3 gates.

One thing to remmeber with SEA---its going through a terminal/gate shift with just about all the airlines shifting around.

I dont recall if southwest is getting more gates as a result of this or they lost gates.

I thought I recall reading in the plan that they would have unassigned gates in each terminal which could then be used for overflow
Old Aug 16, 2014, 1:58 pm

It's Delta's fault for clogging up the airport with all their new ERJ and CRJ flights to various West Coast cities. Delta has expanded in the B gates since they are running out of space in the S Satellite, which means that WN doesn't have any extra gates at its disposal in the B gates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.