Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I have two tickets?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2014, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, WN A+ (and Sometimes CP) | Hilton Diamond | Avis Preferred | National Car Exec
Can I have two tickets?

I have a situation I'm not sure how to address.

I need to go to one of two places, the one vs the other will not be known until about an hour before (has to do with whichever contract is signed first).

Can I book a ticket to two different cities, and cancel the one up until the no-show rule?

What would happen in that case? Will I only be able to print one of the BPs?

I don't want to not have the other ticket in case of a sold out situation.

Yes, it's a dick-move to hold seats on both, but this is a unique case I'm not sure quite how else to handle.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 2:05 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by ohange
Can I book a ticket to two different cities, and cancel the one up until the no-show rule?

What would happen in that case? Will I only be able to print one of the BPs?
Yes you can. I've done it before. When you get to the airport you'll be able to check in using the kiosk. If both your reservations are active and you use your RR number to check in, it'll ask you to pick which reservation you want to print a BP for.

Just remember the cancellation deadline online is one hour from scheduled departure time. You can go to the gate/call in and have them manually delete the reservation though. Just be careful, the agents at the airport will see your other flight(s) booked that day. Make sure they cancel the correct one.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 2:08 pm

Programs: Southwest Airlines AP & CP; BA Gold
Really yes and no. It is done by many, but it a violation of the Southwest Airlines Contract of Carriage.

"(v) Multiple Reservations. Southwest prohibits multiple reservations for the same passenger departing from the same city on the same date. Furthermore, without notice to the passenger or purchaser, Southwest may cancel such reservations or any other reservations that it believes, in its sole discretion, were made without intent to travel."
Old Jul 26, 2014, 2:33 pm

if available, use 2 different airlines?
Old Jul 26, 2014, 3:17 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by kaller
Really yes and no. It is done by many, but it a violation of the Southwest Airlines Contract of Carriage.

"(v) Multiple Reservations. Southwest prohibits multiple reservations for the same passenger departing from the same city on the same date. Furthermore, without notice to the passenger or purchaser, Southwest may cancel such reservations or any other reservations that it believes, in its sole discretion, were made without intent to travel."
This is a fairly recent ( in the last 6 months, I think) change to the CoC. No one has reported here that flights have been cancelled because of this rule, but..... Are they going to start enforcing this at some point???

I will say that because of this rule change, I have stopped booking 2 returns on the same day.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by tusphotog
Just remember the cancellation deadline online is one hour from scheduled departure time. You can go to the gate/call in and have them manually delete the reservation though. Just be careful, the agents at the airport will see your other flight(s) booked that day. Make sure they cancel the correct one.
The hard timeline is 10 minutes before departure, so if they can't get it done online in time just call or have someone at the airport do it. It would speed things up to have the locator handy when sending the request.

Originally Posted by lougord99
This is a fairly recent ( in the last 6 months, I think) change to the CoC. No one has reported here that flights have been cancelled because of this rule, but..... Are they going to start enforcing this at some point???

I will say that because of this rule change, I have stopped booking 2 returns on the same day.
Before I left the company, I did run across several reservations that were auto-cancelled by the system under this rule. So it can happen, but wasn't really widespread from what I could tell.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 5:00 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
I don't understand how 'a few' can be auto-cancelled.

If a computer is going to take an action it needs an algorithm for those actions. How can you tell a computer, 'cancel just a few of these false reservations - maybe we will scare them'.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 5:17 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass

If a computer is going to take an action it needs an algorithm for those actions. How can you tell a computer, 'cancel just a few of these false reservations - maybe we will scare them'.
A mainframe batch process runs periodically looking for all of the reservations that appear questionable re: following or violating the COC.

The results of that batch process are tossed out into a queue that is/can be reviewed by a human and/or a real-time IT processes downstream.

Depending on the results of the multitude of what-if scenarios programmed into the batch process and the yes/no answers generated as a result of the process running, the downstream real-time process and/or human reviewer(s) may or may not whack your reservations.

Quite arbitrary and actually quite efficient when they wish it to be. Kinda neat actually.

And for those of us that are regular SWA IT-bashers (count me among them), you bet they're that smart. After all, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP1af7ilYpM
Old Jul 27, 2014, 12:44 am

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)

IMO Pretty simple.

Same RR number same day from departure city=100% match.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Just don't use your RR number then.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, WN A+ (and Sometimes CP) | Hilton Diamond | Avis Preferred | National Car Exec
I have an update.

I called the RR A+ Phone number and asked point blank: I need two tickets to two locations, and I won't know until approximately the time I will arrive at the airport which plane I need to board. The agent said it's no problem to book them both.

I did book them both - they're for tomorrow, and I have all sets of BPs printed next to me. One of them will get cancelled - I will do that as soon as I know which one I won't need.

Interesting that the CoC specifically forbids this, but then again the language is squishy "may cancel" and "will cancel" are two vastly different things.

Thanks. I'll post another update so we have more data points in case someone else runs into this later.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 9:54 am

I have an update.

I called the RR A+ Phone number and asked point blank: I need two tickets to two locations, and I won't know until approximately the time I will arrive at the airport which plane I need to board. The agent said it's no problem to book them both.

I did book them both - they're for tomorrow, and I have all sets of BPs printed next to me. One of them will get cancelled - I will do that as soon as I know which one I won't need.

Interesting that the CoC specifically forbids this, but then again the language is squishy "may cancel" and "will cancel" are two vastly different things.

Thanks. I'll post another update so we have more data points in case someone else runs into this later.
^

Good luck with the contract-signing!
Old Jul 30, 2014, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by steved5480
^

Good luck with the contract-signing!

Worked out fine. In the end. I ended up canceling about an hour before the takeoff time. Did it from the mobile app. Zero problems.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 9:32 pm

Worked out fine. In the end. I ended up canceling about an hour before the takeoff time. Did it from the mobile app. Zero problems.
^^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.