Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Pre-Check Randomly Appearing

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2014, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I suspect TSA may also be using the data submitted for it's Secure Flight program to identify frequent travelers and giving them Pre-Check.
The probabability page on TSA site has all the information you need

http://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck/like...g-tsa-precheck

Along with Managed Inclusion and Risk Assessments sub pages
Old May 29, 2014, 1:51 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred and CP, Marriott Platinum, National Executive Elite
Not to get too off topic, but I've been a list preferred and CP for past 4 years, yet have not received a pre check opt in invitation. Several have posted on this thread that it is "well documented" that SW offers this to a list preferred members. Any tips on how to get the pre check invite?
Old May 29, 2014, 1:52 pm

Programs: SWA RR BIS 6.2M, A+'20, CP'20, AA, UA Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by steved5480
…snip

The easiest way to assure yourself (and/or other members of your traveling party) of "usually" receiving Pre-Check is to apply for and be granted Global Entry status from the CBP. GE will not guarantee you receive Pre-Check 100% of the time, but it has been repeatedly demonstrated to be as close a 100% hit-rate as one can hope to get. GE costs $100 per person for five years.

If you want Pre "without spending any money", keep doing what you've been doing and hope for another lottery hit. Some folks report receiving Random Inclusion periodically, most report one-time and never again.
…or have an AMEX PLAT card and pay using the card. AMEX will cover the cost for the card holder. I did this as my Co. offered the Plat as a test program for billing and listed GE comp. as a benefit. Sure enough, statement came in and a $100 credit was on the card for the purchase.
Old May 31, 2014, 8:09 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, WN A, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mek17
Not to get too off topic, but I've been a list preferred and CP for past 4 years, yet have not received a pre check opt in invitation. Several have posted on this thread that it is "well documented" that SW offers this to a list preferred members. Any tips on how to get the pre check invite?
I wish I could help but I'm in the same boat as you (including a spotless criminal record!) and have yet to receive an invite.
Old May 31, 2014, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by texashoser
I would agree with this as well. As to your question, I would rephrase that to ask if anyone who has earned AL+ for the first time over the last three months or so has gotten the invite. I'm curious on that as well.
made A+ 2 weeks ago. Hoping to get an invite soon. I fly every week. On southwest wifi right now
Old Jun 1, 2014, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA-GLD/1MM, WN-AList+/CP, Hilton-Diamond
Originally Posted by Marko123
I wish I could help but I'm in the same boat as you (including a spotless criminal record!) and have yet to receive an invite.
Same here. A+ and CP for 2 years and no invitation, even though AA gave it to me years ago. I finally ponied up the money for Global Entry.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 2:44 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred and CP, Marriott Platinum, National Executive Elite
Anyone recently receive a precheck invite from Southwest? I'm wondering if they are still issuing them to frequent flyers at all.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:06 am

Nope.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 11:08 am

I haven't seen any reports of new invites since the first batch.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 7:56 pm

Location: STL, MO-US and A , SWA A-List, Marriott LTTE, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Just curious

If your A-list, you fly a fair amount. Why would you not pony up the $85 for pre-check?

I got it a few months ago and it has literally saved me a couple of hours already and I have 4 years and 10 months of Pre-check left. Even if you only fly once a month, it's like $.70 a flight.

I'm not bashing anyone, just wondering what's holding you back.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by ALARISstl
If your A-list, you fly a fair amount. Why would you not pony up the $85 for pre-check?

I got it a few months ago and it has literally saved me a couple of hours already and I have 4 years and 10 months of Pre-check left. Even if you only fly once a month, it's like $.70 a flight.

I can give you my reasons,
  • So Far I haven't seen much advantage over the Expert Lines at the airports I use.
  • I am getting Pre about 30% of the time, and increasing.
  • I think if TSA really gets 85% of the people using Pre it won't be that good.
  • I think TSA will eventually move most people to Pre regardless of what they say.
  • I don't plan on leaving for the airport any later, since most of my padding is for traffic, not clearing security.
  • The time I spend in the airport is not that useful so I might as well stand in line.
You Mileage May Vary.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 1:25 pm

3 months A+, no invite.

$85 is not the problem it is finding the time to go through the process
Old Jul 25, 2014, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by EDGARP
3 months A+, no invite.

$85 is not the problem it is finding the time to go through the process
Ditto. Except 4 years A+.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by ALARISstl

My reasons:

-Laziness
-Waiting for WN to give it to me for free.
-Thinking I didn't need it because I could depend on fly-by lanes
-Hearing stories about the PC line being longer than regular lines. Now I realize even if that's the case it probably moves more quickly since you don't need to do the belt/shoes/laptop thing.
-Not knowing that they have a ton of places around the country where you can go for the in-person interview. A coworker found one 5 miles from our office and said she was in and out in 15 minutes.

My appointment is tomorrow
Old Jul 29, 2014, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by mek17
Anyone recently receive a precheck invite from Southwest? I'm wondering if they are still issuing them to frequent flyers at all.
I've been told that they are.

I've been AL preferred for some time now and never received the invitation to opt in. I called Southwest about a couple months ago and asked why. Was told that it is up to the TSA for the ability to opt in. Southwest submits a list of names of A listers to TSA, who in return gave Southwest a list back of those who could opt in. So ultimately, the decision comes from TSA... not Southwest. Was also told that I could randomly still get "pre-check" on my boarding pass. I fly WN weekly and have NEVER received it on my boarding pass.

Before anyone jumps all over this.... let me reiterate that this is what I was told by Southwest. I am not claiming it to be accurate or not.

Also, I was told that Southwest continually sends names of A listers in batches to TSA for review. It's an on-going trend, again, according the Southwest. So if you haven't received an invitation yet, you very well could at some point.

I expressed my concern about not getting the invitation (even though I have a spotless background) and was assured they (Southwest) don't make the call as to who gets the invitation to opt in.

So I took the route of getting a KTN through pre-check.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.