Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Pre Check on SWA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2014, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

TSA Pre Check on SWA

Hi everyone. I've literally never flown Southwest before and am going to do so for the first time tomorrow. I just checked-in at exactly 24 hours out and got A37, which from what I deduce, is good. Anyway, I'm a Global Entry member and entered my known traveler number when I made the reservation. I was surprised that it didn't indicate TSA Pre Check on the boarding pass. I called Southwest's customer service (which was fantastic, by the way), and she really didn't know why it didn't say TSA Pre Check on the boarding pass.

Any thoughts? Should I check with the ticketing desk when I check my bag? I usually fly US Airways or Delta, and it clearly indicates that I have TSA Pre Check on the boarding pass, so I guess I kinda expected that on Southwest, too. She even said she noticed my known traveler number on the reservation. Thanks for your help.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 4:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Pre-check isn't guaranteed and it's randomly denied (although I have never been denied pre-check with GE and know few people who have). That could be what happened here.

It's worth checking to make certain that your ticketed name and the name on your GE card are exactly the same. An extra space or punctuation mark can do the trick.

If that doesn't fix it, you are likely unlucky this time. If it happens again, it's an IT problem (or you are genuinely unlucky).

You can also ask the Officer at TSA to nonetheless scan your BP for pre-check on the chance that it didn't print, but that you were selected.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 8:33 pm

I have Global Entry and, until this week, always have gotten Pre-Check. On my outbound flight I didn't get it and upon returning today I did. The various trusted traveler programs do not guarantee expedited service every time. I used to have a Sentri Pass and still had to go through secondary inspection about once every 15 times or so. It is random.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 12:31 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by carraher
The various trusted traveler programs do not guarantee expedited service every time.
I missed a couple times last March. It happens.

OP: check your name and make sure the name on your reservation matches your GE card exactly. The BPs indicate "TSA PRE" on the top left by your name if you're cleared.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 8:17 am

Programs: DL, US
Just flew WN for the first time in years. My companion and I both received Pre Check. I added our Known Traveler Number when I made the reservation.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Yea, my name matches perfectly. I guess I just didn't get it this time. Oh well, it's an evening flight from ROC to BWI and a Sunday night. Could be worse.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 10:20 am

Programs: Delta, BA, CO, AA, SWA
The way things have been lately, you may have a better chance of getting Pre-check on SWA by just buying a ticket. Pre-check lines in Tampa, Birmingham, Chicago, and elsewhere are clogged these days with SWA Pre-checks who have no idea what Pre-check is. They're the ones who are taking off their shoes, jackets, and belts, and loading bags of toiletries in bins while frustrated TSA officers are telling them they don't have to. Meanwhile, the road warriors who went to all the trouble and expense to get Pre-check and Clear wait, fume, and cuss out SWA.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 10:41 am

Programs: Platinum Card Rewards
Some boarding passes don't always say TSA pre. It may be worded differently.
I can't remember what mine said but when you approach security if you have it
the first TSA person you contact will direct to the approbate line. Have a safe flight.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 11:59 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
I suppose it's worth buying TSA Pre, GE etc. because one would get Pre screening regardless of which airline flown. I have Pre as an elite on US/AA, but not as an A- preferred on WN.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 3:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, United Silver
I have 100% pre-check success on Southwest across a handful of flights. I have Global Entry.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by DarkHelmetII
I have 100% pre-check success on Southwest across a handful of flights. I have Global Entry.
This is normally the case. However, TSA warns there is a degree of randomness involved.

No one is ever guaranteed Pre 100% of the time.

You may have a boarding pass without Pre on it, they may direct you to the Pre line after scanning it.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 5:32 pm

Programs: SWA RR BIS 6.2M, A+'20, CP'20, AA, UA Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Michael El
I suppose it's worth buying TSA Pre, GE etc. because one would get Pre screening regardless of which airline flown. I have Pre as an elite on US/AA, but not as an A- preferred on WN.
Amex Plat. will cover the Global Entry Pre fee if paid using their card. It was great to see the $100 credit show up on the card- the only charge I've put on the card.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 4:54 am

Programs: IC, WN, Hyatt, Avis
It's strange my 15 year old son got a TSA pre-check boarding pass on our return trip on WN. He doesn't meet any requirements of TSA pre-check (not even a US citizen).
Old Mar 18, 2014, 7:38 am

Programs: WN: A+, CP National: Exec. Elite. Choice hotels: Platinum Priority Club: Platinum
they will often give pre-check to minors and seniors.
I have GE and have not received pre-check on about 5 of my last 8 flights (all on WN)
I heard it was supposed to be a 90% of getting pre-check, though I don't know if my data correlates that.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 10:26 am

Just checked in for my flight tomorrow Got Pre-Check and A-16. Not A+ so there must be nobody on the plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.