Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Pre Check on SWA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:38 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Just checked in for my flight tomorrow Got Pre-Check and A-16. Not A+ so there must be nobody on the plane.
Or the "real" A16 cancelled.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by tusphotog
Or the "real" A16 cancelled.
Not likely as I'm A-list and would have been assigned at T-36. If someone cancelled before that they wouldn't have been assigned a number. If the cancelled after that they wouldn't have re-assigned my number. Possibly someone else might have gotten it a T-24.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 2:10 pm
Bob

Programs: AA 2MM
I've got PreCheck status as a lifetime platinum on American but I cannot for the life of me find where they have hidden my Known Traveler Number (which I understand is TSA jargon, abbreviated KTN) if in fact I even have one.

I am about to book a reservation on SW for the first time in years. How do I tell them I can be trusted, or do they already know through some list interchange and the TSA?
Old Mar 18, 2014, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
I've got PreCheck status as a lifetime platinum on American but I cannot for the life of me find where they have hidden my Known Traveler Number (which I understand is TSA jargon, abbreviated KTN) if in fact I even have one.

I am about to book a reservation on SW for the first time in years. How do I tell them I can be trusted, or do they already know through some list interchange and the TSA?
Perhaps this will help....

http://www.southwest.com/html/custom...aprecheck.html
Old Mar 18, 2014, 5:35 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by Bob

Technically, there is no such thing as "PreCheck Status". PreCheck is granted (or not) on a per-flight basis. This "granting" happens based on passenger demographic data being passed from the involved airline to the TSA and back again. This demographic data may include your Trusted Traveler number. Or not. Search for Random Inclusion (or visually scan the Pre line for obvious IRK's.... they're not hard to spot). Then there are the elderly and young kids. And others.

Your Known Traveler Number (TSA's official name is "Trusted Traveler") is somewhere in your AAdvantage profile. Although I can't speak from personal experience with AA, your TT number is visible on both Delta Sky Miles and Southwest Rapid Rewards accounts. It takes a bit of digging to find it. Given your status with AA, I would think their CS people could look it up and supply it to you over the phone after the usual verification.

The airlines absolutely do NOT exchange/interchange Trusted Traveler data between each-other.

The only sure-fire way to "tell" Southwest that you can be "trusted" is to add your TT number your Rapid Rewards account *or* enter your TT number manually while making a reservation on Southwest dot com. Remember that inclusion of your TT on your reservation does not absolutely guarantee that you'll receive PreCheck on any single specific flight. It's random, although Global Entry holders do generally report a much higher hit-rate for PreCheck than do others.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 6:06 pm
Bob

Originally Posted by steved5480

Your Known Traveler Number (TSA's official name is "Trusted Traveler") is somewhere in your AAdvantage profile. Although I can't speak from personal experience with AA, your TT number is visible on both Delta Sky Miles and Southwest Rapid Rewards accounts. It takes a bit of digging to find it. Given your status with AA, I would think their CS people could look it up and supply it to you over the phone after the usual verification.

The airlines absolutely do NOT exchange/interchange Trusted Traveler data between each-other.
Thanks, this is most helpful information. I appreciate your thorough response to my question.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 12:40 pm

My mom and I flew together BUF-FLL and return,she had 'Pre Check' on her BP (she's 68) I did not . I made it thru TSA before she did.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 3:12 pm

I'm a Global Entry member with 100% success rate until flying from LAS the other day, when my SWA boarding pass did not indicate Pre. Was really frustrating because that airport was a madhouse.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 6:34 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by Bigez747
They will often give Pre-Check to ... Seniors.
Urrgh- that explains it. I'd always wondered how it was that people who needed to be told about the "belts and shoes" thing were getting PC (as I'd assumed that it was something one had to opt-into).
Old Mar 21, 2014, 2:50 pm

We have Global Entry and are around 50% on SWA. I guess being fingerprinted and interviewed along with a background check doesn't prove your safe, when for other people they are just pulled out of line and sent through TSA Pre, really having no idea what it is.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 2:55 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by ano2
We have Global Entry and are around 50% on WN
I'm probably jinxing myself now, but FWIW I'm also GE (via AmEx) and have been 100% PC since I'd started flying again in mid-December on twice-weekly trips.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 8:20 am

I just checked in for my first SWA flight in a long time, and the first since I got GE, and I didn't get Pre on my boarding pass. But I noticed that my SWA account for some reason has only my middle initial rather than my full middle name as is on my GE account. On the boarding pass, it has the full middle name, but I guess that's not enough (or maybe the fact that those two don't match is causing a problem?). Anyway, according to the website, I have to MAIL IN copies of ID to fix this, so I'm not sure I'll even bother. I fly SWA so infrequently it's not likely worth the hassle...
Old Mar 24, 2014, 11:21 am

Programs: UA1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
A couple things of note on SWA:
1 - I have a GE card that was working for pre check on all other airlines except SW
2 - I asked the ticket agent if she could add it to my res and she did and immediately printed a pre check boarding pass (the one i printed at the kiosk never does). It could be a problem with our corporate travel booking (CWT) since SW is always a bit different.
3- you can check to see if your name matches by going into your SW account, then preferences, then contact info to see if your name matches your GE card and if your traveler # is listed

Make sure all these items line up but it can be an IT issue as well. Most likely the case if it works on other airlines. Although i still can't figure out how all these people have pre check and don't seem to have a clue about it.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
To OP, was this mobile BP? There was a guy with Global entry complaining on the Southwest Facebook page not too long ago stating that he always got pre when doing paper BP but when he did mobile it did not get pre. I know its only a single example and could be the one off failure

Sounds as if Bob gets pre-check as an opt-in via FF program. TT number is not issued to these passengers.

TT # is issued to members of Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI & the new paid Pre-Check. If one is not a member of these programs and did not provide the information to the airline it wont be in the FF profile.
e
Originally Posted by brsp18
It could be a problem with our corporate travel booking (CWT) since SW is always a bit different.
This is known to be the cause of data mismatches. Travel agencies don't always pass over the secure flight data properly. Although name mismatch may not be as important as it used to. I had a ticket booked via Wideroe airlines based in Norway for travel on United. Middle name was not collected by Wideroe nor the TT number but i still got pre-check. It was a same day turn to the middle east so I doubt if it was a random acceptance.

Last edited by CDKing; Mar 24, 2014 at 8:01 pm
Old Mar 25, 2014, 6:26 pm
Bob

<snip>

<snip>
I have learned from AA customer service that I do not have a Known Traveler Number (or Trusted Traveler number). When Pre-check came into being AA enrolled its upper level elites (Platinum and Executive Platinum) but they (we) were not assigned Known Traveler Numbers.

I've filled out the Global Entry card application and will be in D.C. next month so I can be interviewed then and before you know it I'll be trusted to a fare-thee-well.

Thanks again for your help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.