Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Ten straight months of poor On-Time performance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2013, 2:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card

http://www.baltimoresun.com/business...,3677447.story

Perhaps WN picked the wrong cities to get into with little turn around time? I read that schedule changes are coming.

This is the worst performance for WN since 1995. Not enough spare aircraft. Perhaps growth needs to slow a little.

I fly WN only on short trips (LAS-LAX or LAS-RNO) and have always had a great flt. Long haul - no way on WN.

WN was always know for their great on-time record. How do you go from #3 to the bottom so fast? Weather, ATC delays, lack of additional AC, new airports, etc.

Years ago I remember WN pulling out of DEN (possibly Stapelton) due to weather delays. Now WN is back at DEN.

I read that the Ice Storm that hit Dallas affected AA (at DFW) harder than WN at Love Field.

What is WN doing wrong?
Old Dec 30, 2013, 5:54 am

I think at least some of this is hubris on Southwest's part.

I was making a connection in HOU 12/22 and the incoming for my flight was delayed, as were several others. Southwest consistently listed 25 minute turnaround times and as far as I could tell missed every one of them. My flight pulled back approximately 10 minutes later that posted. As far as I could tell nothing happened to cause any additional delay, it was merely overly optimistic scheduling.

As far as Southwest "growing too fast" Southwest is actually shrinking, they are down in total number of aircraft and total number of flights plus the average flight is getting longer. Unless they do something dramatic that will continue into 2015 at least, possibly beyond depending on schedule changes and aircraft retirements. And, Yes I know that capacity is supposed to be the same because new larger aircraft are coming on line. But I also think over scheduling is a problem, there is not enough slack in the system to handle even small disruptions.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 11:20 am

Programs: Thai Gold, UA, AA, SWA
All WN needs to do is to pad the flight departure and arrival times. This solve the issue. Just surprised that they have not done it as it is a universal practice by all airlines (at least in USA).
Old Dec 30, 2013, 11:54 am

Southwest does pad, generally significantly.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 12:01 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Southwest Rapid Rewards A-List, HHonors Gold
I thought they would all pad and "over" deliver by getting there on time.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 12:05 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by htown
I thought they would all pad and "over" deliver by getting there on time.
when they pad the schedule too much, passengers on 'thru' flights can spend more than an hour waiting at the stopover airport (on the plane). definitely a balancing act.

I for one wish they would simply adjust the minimum connecting time UP for afternoon/early evening flights since that's when a ton of the issues seem to crop up. afternoon nonstop from vegas-pit is almost ALWAYS held an hour for late connections from california.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 12:06 pm

Apparently Southwest isn't doing that now.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 12:17 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Crap airline with brilliant marketing.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Gold, BW Diamond, Club Carlson Silver
Originally Posted by kettle1
http://www.baltimoresun.com/business...,3677447.story

Perhaps WN picked the wrong cities to get into with little turn around time? I read that schedule changes are coming.

This is the worst performance for WN since 1995. Not enough spare aircraft. Perhaps growth needs to slow a little.

I fly WN only on short trips (LAS-LAX or LAS-RNO) and have always had a great flt. Long haul - no way on WN.

WN was always know for their great on-time record. How do you go from #3 to the bottom so fast? Weather, ATC delays, lack of additional AC, new airports, etc.

Years ago I remember WN pulling out of DEN (possibly Stapelton) due to weather delays. Now WN is back at DEN.

I read that the Ice Storm that hit Dallas affected AA (at DFW) harder than WN at Love Field.

What is WN doing wrong?
What's wrong with flying WN long haul? I would gladly fly WN long haul again. Paid $280 all-in for BUF-LAX and SFO-BUF, and had zero complaints about anything. In fact, it was much better in terms of comfort than AC's A320 in J.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 12:39 pm

One set of data points are at BWI. In 2013, there were 21 flights at 3pm or later leaving BWI. Only 3 flights pushed within 15 minutes of scheduled time. ACARS showed several where brakes were released, but we didn't actually leave until 30 to 60 minutes later. Reasons for delays included equipment swaps, crew swaps, waits for connecting crews (B14 to A11 is a long, long walk) and most recently there were two episodes when our gate was occupied by another delayed flight. Ground ops in Baltimore has been less than stellar as one of the delays amounted to 4 hours, even though our plane and crew arrived early.

On the positive side, every morning flight out of JAX left on-time or early. Great team in JAX.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 12:44 pm

Programs: SW Rapid Rewards
I'll tell you exactly why you don't want a long flight on SWA.

THE EVOLUTION SEATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Dec 30, 2013, 12:54 pm

Programs: AS G75K; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cober6711
What's wrong with flying WN long haul?
No premium cabin, no meal service, no lounge...

The difference in on-time performance is noticeable. I can't recall the last time I've left the gate on schedule. I'm already delayed 15 min tonight and still almost 4 hours before scheduled departure time.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA LTPLT UA1P Hilton Dia Marriott Plat
The ramp personal are without a contract for 2 years now. My understanding is the boys are beyond pissed and going S L O W. Talking to my SWA pilots friends this is just the beginning. My last 7 SWA flights all delayed by at least 30-90 minutes in the past 7 weeks.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by mach92
The ramp personal are without a contract for 2 years now. My understanding is the boys are beyond pissed and going S L O W. Talking to my SWA pilots friends this is just the beginning. My last 7 SWA flights all delayed by at least 30-90 minutes in the past 7 weeks.
Ramp, Airport and Reservations are all without a contract right now and from what I've been told negotiations are going extremely slow. So that is all of your customer facing employees that are working with an expired contract right now.

As far as on time ratings...technically Southwest is 3rd from the bottom for October, but only ones worse are Spirit and Cape Air. Everyone expects that from Spirit and Cape Air isn't really going to catch much flack.

http://cms.flightstats.com/wp-conten...e-Arrivals.png
Old Dec 30, 2013, 2:56 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Southwest Rapid Rewards A-List, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by expert7700
when they pad the schedule too much, passengers on 'thru' flights can spend more than an hour waiting at the stopover airport (on the plane). definitely a balancing act.

I for one wish they would simply adjust the minimum connecting time UP for afternoon/early evening flights since that's when a ton of the issues seem to crop up. afternoon nonstop from vegas-pit is almost ALWAYS held an hour for late connections from california.
It really is a balancing act but I've never heard of anyone complaining about being at the terminal early even if they had a connecting flight. You always hear about it the other way around though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.