Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Reasons to book all Southwest travel as one-way rather than round-trip

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reasons to book all Southwest travel as one-way rather than round-trip

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2013, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
OK, this is a dumb reason but it is my reason.

I have an envelope with printouts of all my reservations in the order I will need them, if I need them. Air Out-Rental Car-Hotel-Air Back. After I check in for my flight, I move the Air Out reservation to the back of the envelope and now Rental Car is in front.

After the OW is competed, I can forget it and be done. It checks one thing off my list. Having a half done task waiting drives me up the wall. It's one of those little things.

I said it was dumb.
Not dumb - I do the exact same thing (though, with a folder instead of an envelope). And, I found myself printing my recent R/T bookings (using the 20% coupon code) twice so that the order and the system can remain in place!
Old Mar 27, 2013, 1:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
I dont fly wn nearly as much as I used to, but definitely some very good points in here
Old Mar 27, 2013, 7:23 pm

I have an envelope with printouts of all my reservations in the order I will need them, if I need them. Air Out-Rental Car-Hotel-Air Back. After I check in for my flight, I move the Air Out reservation to the back of the envelope and now Rental Car is in front.

After the OW is competed, I can forget it and be done. It checks one thing off my list. Having a half done task waiting drives me up the wall. It's one of those little things.

I said it was dumb.
Not dumb. I hate when kayak has my hotel checkout after my flight because checkout is noon and the flight is early. I always have to edit the times. It's basically the same thing but digital instead of paper
Old Mar 28, 2013, 11:52 am

More chatter here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...into-legs.html
Old Mar 28, 2013, 5:50 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by FindAWay
Another Reason for One-Way Bookings over Round-Trip:
  1. Hidden City Ticketing for both outbound and return.
Just for clarity.....hidden city is you are flying PDX to LAS and you see a PDX-LAS-PHX is cheaper than the first leg so you book it but don't check bags and then leave the plane in LAS informing the gate agent you aren't taking the connection due to a change in plans. Had you did this on the first part of a RT you would forfeit the rest of your round trip flight.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 5:54 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA

I said it was dumb.
I get why you do it....I would think you could just print out you flight info twice for a round trip and put them in order. When I travel I will order my docs that way. I usually staple them together then just flip the page as I'm farther along on my trip.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 6:32 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by djp98374
I get why you do it....I would think you could just print out you flight info twice for a round trip and put them in order. When I travel I will order my docs that way. I usually staple them together then just flip the page as I'm farther along on my trip.
Reread 3rd paragraph.

Also, with OW the confirmation is titled by the destination city. Let's say I am going to Portland. The OW to Portland says Portland. The OW back says Nashville.

It is sort of weird getting rental car and hotel offers for home, but I just ignore them.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 6:57 pm

Programs: WN A+/CP, HH Diamond, Enterprise Gold
I'm a big believer in booking one ways, but I hadn't realized or thought about this consequence before:

Originally Posted by expert7700
-You are only allowed 2 active boarding passes, per PNR #, at a time. On a same-day turn with a connection on the outbound or return, you are restricted from getting your other boarding passes until you have used up one of the segments. Booking all fights as one ways avoids this hassle.
Does this apply to a round trip that is not really a round trip? I recently booked ALB-MDW-LAS & LAS-ONT because it was only $70 more than ALB-MDW-ONT and gets me home 5 hours earlier! Will I run into this issue with the boarding passes? The system wouldn't let me book companion pass on the flight either and I had to call WN and an agent was able to do it, but my companion has two confirmation numbers.

I guess the major point of clarification: is it checkin that is prevented or printing the boarding pass? Getting the BP is not a big deal, but delayed check-in certainly could be.

Do I need to call and have them split or cancel the LAS-ONT leg to a new confirmation in order to checkin for the flight? I'm BS from ALB-MDW-LAS, but WGA and would prefer to get my normal A+ boarding position for LAS-ONT.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 7:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by djp98374
Just for clarity.....hidden city is you are flying PDX to LAS and you see a PDX-LAS-PHX is cheaper than the first leg so you book it but don't check bags and then leave the plane in LAS informing the gate agent you aren't taking the connection due to a change in plans. Had you did this on the first part of a RT you would forfeit the rest of your round trip flight.
Why do you need to inform the gate agent?
Old Apr 3, 2013, 8:59 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Why do you need to inform the gate agent?
It's nice. It lets them know your seat will be available. They also will not spend 10 minutes on the airport PA system asking for you.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
It's nice. It lets them know your seat will be available. They also will not spend 10 minutes on the airport PA system asking for you.
And not canceling makes it less likely that WN will keep allowing this practice in the future.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 10:27 am

I thought of another good reason (I knew I could come up with one).

We all know that if you want to refare your existing flight, you need to cancel your companion's ticket first (really a pain in the a**). Well, by booking two one-ways, you at least have the ability to just reprice one way for the primary and add the companion back by NOT risking that the other way will have no seats left when you try to add that leg back too.

Example, we are flying OAK to LAS from Thurs- Sun. There are hardly any seats left on the Sun prime time flight, but tons of Thurs night seats, and in fact, the amount of points dropped. I could not cancel the companion pass in order to take advantage of this, because there was only 1 seat left on the Sunday flight and I didn't want to risk not having a seat.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 4:57 pm

I said it was dumb.
Not dumb at all . . . I have always done this. Like you, I am a detailed list maker, and this method just seems *satisfying*, similar to crossing off items on my to do list.

But, sometimes I am forced to book round trips, which sometimes leads to complications, as in me earning A list mid-trip.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
From the OP:

"2. If one seat opens at a discount fare you can grab it for one passenger using Change Reservation or rebooking."

Perhaps a restatement of this point, but inspired by a current post in this forum: If you have let's say 5 people traveling together on OWs and the fare drops, you can try refaring them one-at-a-time until the system won't allow any more. Might be 1, 2, 3, who knows? Easier than the risk of messing with a RT, IMO.

Then sometimes after a lag (maybe overnight), more seats might open up at the lower price.

For people who book with points for co-travelers who don't fly much, the flow of points back into your account is smooth. A few bucks of TTFs each for people who rarely fly are a pain.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 12:24 am

Programs: Ex CO/ UA Gold, Hotels.. TBD
Are return fares ever lower than one way fares? As is usually the case in International flights of other airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.