Wiki Posts
Search

Massive WGA Fare Increase (short hauls)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2012, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Massive WGA Fare Increase (short hauls)

Not sure if it's been mentioned but just saw on the 10pm news WN raised short haul fares today by at least 30% each way. This is the last straw for me as a frequent DAL-AUS and HOU flyer. I'm done (my vent)

**This is for WGA Fares**

Last edited by longhorn11; Sep 28, 2012 at 9:27 pm Reason: Should add it's WGA Fares
Old Sep 28, 2012, 9:20 pm

Not sure what you consider short-haul, but intra-CA fares look about the same as they've been recently.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by smmrfld
Not sure what you consider short-haul, but intra-CA fares look about the same as they've been recently.
Well maybe we've been "privileged" here. DAL-AUS was $65 each way, now $93 each way. Maybe they haven't switched it on all routes? Revised my OP to state it's for WGA fares.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:41 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Wow, this is a pretty big increase. HOU-AUS now at $80, up from the raise to $54 earlier this summer which was up from the $49 it had been at for the longest time (factoring in the move to "all in" pricing). The short haul route that I am most interested in nowadays is HOU-HRL which is now up 100% from where it was this time last year ($49 to $98).

In my opinion this definitely makes HOU-AUS too expensive to fly versus driving but I will continue to fly HOU-HRL even with the increased price.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:32 pm

...until Tuesday when the price changes again, just like every other route on Tuesdays?

Could this be the user fee for construction of the international gates at DAL?
Old Sep 29, 2012, 3:07 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Originally Posted by alggag
Wow, this is a pretty big increase. HOU-AUS now at $80, up from the raise to $54 earlier this summer which was up from the $49 it had been at for the longest time (factoring in the move to "all in" pricing). The short haul route that I am most interested in nowadays is HOU-HRL which is now up 100% from where it was this time last year ($49 to $98).

In my opinion this definitely makes HOU-AUS too expensive to fly versus driving but I will continue to fly HOU-HRL even with the increased price.
So in the past year or two they slowly cut the HOU-HRL schedule in half (from 9 r/t to 4) and now they double the WGA price. Are they trying to kill HRL?
Old Sep 29, 2012, 5:54 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HPN-HRL
So in the past year or two they slowly cut the HOU-HRL schedule in half (from 9 r/t to 4) and now they double the WGA price. Are they trying to kill HRL?
Sounds like they had overcapacity holding down prices, cut the route and filled the planes. Half the schedule and double the price. May have been a smart business move from their end.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 6:55 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Ink is probably right. When it was at $49 HOU-HRL was the longest route at the lowest price level out of HOU and was cheaper than SAT, DAL, and even CRP despite all being shorter flights.

For me, the long driving distance and lack of a direct interstate connection means that I'll still be flying down there even at the increased price and reduced frequency. To HRL's credit, I think it's a lot better off than CRP in terms of station security.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by alggag
Ink is probably right. When it was at $49 HOU-HRL was the longest route at the lowest price level out of HOU and was cheaper than SAT, DAL, and even CRP despite all being shorter flights.

For me, the long driving distance and lack of a direct interstate connection means that I'll still be flying down there even at the increased price and reduced frequency. To HRL's credit, I think it's a lot better off than CRP in terms of station security.
Are WN competitors into the Valley reducing capacity and hiking fares from IAH, SAT and other TX stations?

I would speculate DL pulling out of MFE contributed most to this. .
Old Oct 1, 2012, 12:38 am
Original Poster

Just logged on to book another flight tonight, they went up another $12 r/t to $99 each way. A $68 r/t increase in 3 days is ludicrous especially after having it stay $60 ow +/- for the last two years or so.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 3:20 am

Same here, but doing the SMF-LAS route (need to do it 3-4 times a month). Prices are $100/each way whereas they've been as low as $40 before each way.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 8:51 am

BOS-BWI looks about the same, but that route is always fluctuating. Plus there's a ton of competition.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 9:25 am

CLE-BWI seemed to go from $75 lowest WGA fare/ $100 second lowest WGA fare to $100 lowest WGA/ $150 second lowest WGA fare, with $150 more prevalent since I checked last week.

However, at the points level, it is the same as last week, at about 8300 points for the lowest WGA fare.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 1:52 pm

Programs: DL, AA, FRONTIER , SW--A LISTED
tul-dal and okc-dal 81 and 99 each way ... priced me out except for the current trips i have booked..
Old Oct 1, 2012, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM, AA P 2MM, DL PM, US P, VS G, SPG LT P, HH D, HYATT P, PC P, AVIS PC, HERTZ PLAT
This really just WN trying to show its support for high speed rail between Austin, San Antinio, Houston, and Dallas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.