Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airline TV show? When?

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2012, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Fun show, quite reminiscent of the old AIRLINE. Hope they bring back the old "stars," assuming they still work for WN.

I do not understand why WN CS agents cannot say to people who show up late:

"Sorry, m'aam/sir, you arrived late for boarding. The plane has pulled away. We cannot hold a plane with 100+ people for one person who is late. We will reaccommodate you, but this is not our fault, and you may be delayed a few hours or otherwise inconvenienced."

Instead they let some broad scream and yell about she and her family have been put out and disrupt the whole area.

Don't understand.
Because nobody would watch. Drama attracts eyeballs. The more drama, the higher the ratings.
Old May 26, 2012, 8:21 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by sdsearch
But I think the show should have explained what the cutoff time is. The problem is that some people still think that the cutoff time is 3 minutes, because that's what the previous (A&E "Airline") show kept repeating! But since the original A&E "Airline" show aired, Southwest changed it from 3 minutes to 10 minutes!
I don't recall that it was EVER anything other than 10 minutes. I once boarded at T-2 minutes right before they deleted my BP and gave it to a standby, but that was dumb luck.
Old May 26, 2012, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by nsx
I don't recall that it was EVER anything other than 10 minutes. I once boarded at T-2 minutes right before they deleted my BP and gave it to a standby, but that was dumb luck.
Ouch! You should come at the gate on-time. Not wait for more than 10 minutes. You have be there at the gate before boarding the aircraft. They don't want let you deleted the BP. You are responsible for that. If you don't show up at the gate. They will automatically you to removed off the flight.
Old May 27, 2012, 2:41 am

The fish story made me so sad---especially when the mother told the Sup that the boy was a loner & the fish was his best (or she might've said only) friend! And actually, I have seen a betta fish make it through TSA. A girl at MDW (not flying WN) got stopped by the TSO but she had already talked to the supervisor and he said it was allowed since it's a requirement for survival, like food for a dog, as long as they could test the water.

Looking forward to watching the other episode; heard the proposal was pretty sweet.
Old May 27, 2012, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by smmrfld
Because nobody would watch. Drama attracts eyeballs. The more drama, the higher the ratings.
I am not talking about the TV show, I am talking about regular WN operations.

Of course, all this could be just scripted silliness, like most of "reality TV."
Old May 27, 2012, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Just a friendly reminder. There is more new show on Thursday night at 9pm EST. Go to TLC Channel.
Old May 28, 2012, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nsx
It would have been as far back as the original Airline episodes were shot, whever that was. There were multiple episodes where they kept making the point that someone had to be at the gate three minutes before the scheduled departuer time, as that was when they closed the doors.

Now, this was quite a few years ago. I'm not sure if they had OLCI yet. I'm not sure if they had the same polciy of standbys (or, if so, whether it was used that much) back then.

On the original airline show, I don't recall anyone losing a seat to a standby because they got to the gate 8 minutes for scheduled departure time. On the original Airline show, I don't recall any "we gave your seat away already" issue ever. It was just people who got to the gate after the door had closed (even if the plane hadn't pulled away yet).

These days it's quite different. I recently got to a gate at T-8 and my seat had already been given away. (Too bad they weren't filming that day! It's one thing to not got on a plane because the door has closed, but it seems much more dramatic to only have not gotten on the plane because they gave your seat to a standby, and in fact show that the door is still open! You and I know that's common, but a lot of TV viewers don't...)
Old May 28, 2012, 2:16 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Since I saw the original Airline film crew a few times, I'm sure the rules were the same back then. But provided that you have checked in online, the 10 minutes is mostly theoretical. Boarding is rarely completed 10 minutes before departure, and until it is completed the Ops Agent and Gate Agent have no idea whether or not you are in the boarding line. The real cutoff is completion of boarding, at which time the no-shows will be deleted one by one, presumably starting from the bottom of the list (latest check-in).
Old May 28, 2012, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
I am not talking about the TV show, I am talking about regular WN operations.

Of course, all this could be just scripted silliness, like most of "reality TV."
Yes, this is originally old Airline TV show.

Here the name of airline employee is on Wipka page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airline_(U.S._TV_series)

Baltimore-Washington (BWI)
  • Eric DeCosmo, Provising Agent BWI (Baltimore-Washington)
  • Christy Goad-DeCosmo Customer Service Agent, BWI (Baltimore-Washington)
  • Nicholas Hadeed, BWI Flight Attendant, Former Customer Service Supervisor , BWI (Baltimore-Washington)
  • Carole Jennings, Customer Service Supervisor, Orlando (MCO) Former Customer Service Supervisor BWI (Baltimore-Washington)
  • Sue Lee, Customer Service Supervisor, BWI (Baltimore-Washington)
  • Chris Marr, Customer Service Supervisor, Fort Myers (RSW)Former Customer Service Supervisor BWI(Baltimore-Washington)
  • Gina Terrano, BWI Flight Attendant, Former Customer Service Supervisor BWI (Baltimore-Washington)
    Chicago-Midway (MDW)
  • Jesse Atkinson, Customer Service Supervisor, MDW (Chicago-Midway)
  • Colleen Bragiel, Customer Service Manager, MDW (Chicago-Midway)
  • Val Brown, Customer Service Supervisor , MDW (Chicago-Midway)
  • Denise Brown-Bess, Customer Service Supervisor, MDW (Chicago-Midway)
  • Anita Herbert, Customer Service Supervisor, MDW (Chicago-Midway)
  • Veolia Hewitt-Norris, Customer Service Manager , MDW (Chicago-Midway)
    Houston-Hobby (HOU)
  • Holly Bradford, Customer Service Supervisor, HOU (Houston-Hobby)
  • Kelley Casterjana, Customer Service Supervisor, HOU (Houston-Hobby)
  • Cindy Treyes, Customer Service Supervisor, HOU (Houston-Hobby)
  • Brian "Chance" Willams, Customer Service Supervisor, HOU (Houston-Hobby)
    Los Angeles (LAX)
  • Susie Boersma, Customer Service Supervisor, LAX (Los Angeles)
  • Mike Carr, Customer Service Supervisor, LAX (Los Angeles)
  • Yolanda Martin, Customer Service Supervisor, LAX (Los Angeles)
  • Steve Ramirez, Customer Service Supervisor, LAX (Los Angeles)
Hope you find it.
Old May 29, 2012, 7:53 am
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by nsx
Since I saw the original Airline film crew a few times, I'm sure the rules were the same back then. But provided that you have checked in online, the 10 minutes is mostly theoretical. Boarding is rarely completed 10 minutes before departure, and until it is completed the Ops Agent and Gate Agent have no idea whether or not you are in the boarding line. The real cutoff is completion of boarding, at which time the no-shows will be deleted one by one, presumably starting from the bottom of the list (latest check-in).
Where the 10 minutes truly applies is when you did not check in online or at the airport or if you were unable to get a boarding pass due to the maximum number of pre-issued boarding numbers having been reached. If that happens you will lose your confirmed status at T-10 and become a standby passenger.
Old May 29, 2012, 9:02 am

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Show Archives

Can anyone point me to a published or copy of the last 2 shows, I missed it last week. Assuming they do it by 30 minute episode?

Thanks.
Old May 29, 2012, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jetsetter
Can anyone point me to a published or copy of the last 2 shows, I missed it last week. Assuming they do it by 30 minute episode?

Thanks.
I think you have wait for a while. They will put on DVD very soon. You'll see.
Old May 29, 2012, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,

Thanks.
Try this site to watch it online:
http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/tv/on-the-fly

I am sure they will also repeat the shows on TV
Old May 29, 2012, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Try this site to watch it online:
http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/tv/on-the-fly

I am sure they will also repeat the shows on TV
I already saw it last week. It was very good show but, I like it.
Old May 30, 2012, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What do you mean you missed it last week? What about the repeats of it this week? This is a typical cable network, they don't show a show once, they repeat it and repeat and repeat it and repeat it.

There's way too many of these repeats for us to always list all of them here, but the official 9 pm / 8 CT showing is just the first showing of the week. They then repeat it a whole bunch of times over the next week, until they get to the next Thursday, when they finally go to a new episode (pair). And then they even repeat a little more!

In fact, last week's episodes ("I Want to Leave this Place" and "Delayed and Enraged") repeat this week two more times, first two hours before the new shows tomorrow night (Thursday) and then again in the wee hours of the folowing morning (Thursday overnight aka early Friday). All times in the following schedule are Eastern / Pacific (assuming you get the Pacific feed if you're in Pacific):

http://tlc.discovery.com/tv-schedule....56658.42824.1
May 31, 7:00 pm

(30 minutes) On The Fly
I Want to Leave This Place!
TV-PG (L), CC

A wheelchair passenger unleashes her wrath after missing her flight. A passenger travels in disguise to surprise his flight attendant girlfriend with a proposal. And a supervisor must determine if a man is fit to fly after a few drinks.

May 31, 7:30 pm

(30 minutes) On The Fly
Delayed and Enraged
TV-PG (L), CC

A supervisor deals with an angry passenger who misses her connecting flight. Meanwhile, passengers vent their frustration when a flight is delayed by weather for the second time. Then, a college student tries to travel with an unlikely travel companion.

May 31, 9:00 pm

(30 minutes) On The Fly
But I Have A Life!
TV-PG (L)

Chicago airport supervisor Angelica meets a plane returning to the gate with a passenger who refuses to turn off his cellphone. Will she let him board another flight? In Baltimore, A flight delayed from Orlando leaves passengers with missed connections.

May 31, 9:30 pm

(30 minutes) On The Fly
I Give You A Disclaimer - I Curse!
TV-PG (L)

An oversold flight to Vegas has passengers venting in the Windy City. Airport supervisor Shadia is called to calm the situation. At another Chicago gate, Gina's coping with a cursing passenger whose bag won't fit in the overhead bin.

May 31, 11:00 pm

(30 minutes) On The Fly
But I Have A Life!
TV-PG (L)

Chicago airport supervisor Angelica meets a plane returning to the gate with a passenger who refuses to turn off his cellphone. Will she let him board another flight? In Baltimore, A flight delayed from Orlando leaves passengers with missed connections.

May 31, 11:30 pm

(30 minutes) On The Fly
TV-PG (L)

An oversold flight to Vegas has passengers venting in the Windy City. Airport supervisor Shadia is called to calm the situation. At another Chicago gate, Gina's coping with a cursing passenger whose bag won't fit in the overhead bin.

Jun 01, 2:00 am

(30 minutes) On The Fly
I Want to Leave This Place!
TV-PG (L), CC

A wheelchair passenger unleashes her wrath after missing her flight. A passenger travels in disguise to surprise his flight attendant girlfriend with a proposal. And a supervisor must determine if a man is fit to fly after a few drinks.

Jun 01, 2:30 am

(30 minutes) On The Fly
Delayed and Enraged
TV-PG (L), CC

A supervisor deals with an angry passenger who misses her connecting flight. Meanwhile, passengers vent their frustration when a flight is delayed by weather for the second time. Then, a college student tries to travel with an unlikely travel companion.

Jun 02, 1:00 pm

(30 minutes)
Remind Me On The Fly
But I Have A Life!
TV-PG (L)

Jun 02, 1:30 pm

(30 minutes)
Remind Me On The Fly
TV-PG (L)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.